Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

ORIGINAL: vphokie

I also have a set of 20" rims that were installed by the dealer. They said that they didn't think there was any sort of way to get the TPMS system to work. However, I looked on the tire rack website and saw that you can buy them. My question now is, when the car is sold, is it required to have the TPMS system working? Looks like it's pretty expensive to buy the straps and sensors for four 20" rims. If that's the case, I'll just keep hitting the reset button when the TPMS fault comes on when I start the engine
IMHO I think you should go back to that dealer and have them fix the problem. For them it's only a matter of installing straps + sensors and activating them for the car. They rendered a govt mandated safety feature of your car inoperative, and bull****ted their way out of it during the sale.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:27 AM
bcolem10

If its a 07 its the law. Did you buy it New or Used. Where are the stock rims/tires? You can buy new sensors form ford for justaround $53 bucks and buy straps for up to 22inch rims at Discount tire for around $50 bucks. If you buy new sensors they need to be trained.Keep us up to date.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:14 PM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

I bought the vehicle new and the rims were already on there. They didn't even give me the stock rims and tires...*sigh* Hey Colin, so technically the dealer should have purchased the new TPMS assemblies and installed them before they sold it?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 AM
bcolem10

Its the law make them fix it.If they do fixI bet this is how they do it. Stock tires and rims. Because the light is set to come on at 20% drop ( around 26psi ). It you lower the pressure to 26psion your 20s you are all ready in trouble, Bent rim orworse.They need to reprogram the sensors low point and if they get it wrong and you bend a rim or get killed because the light didnt go on at the right time , someone is in deep do-do.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:49 AM
trpcthndr
1st Gear Member

Hey guys,

So let me see ifI have this right? I have an 07 torch red V6 that came with the usual 16" wheels. TPMS was working just fine. I just bought some 18's off an 06 GT and now my TPMS alarm keeps going off every time I start the car. I simply hit the reset button and all is well until the next start. I asked Ford if they could do anything about it and they said no, unless I wanted $575 plus labor to purchase new sensors & bands. My question is, I can re-use the old sensors and just purchase new bands from TireRack or somewhere similiar for $50 each or so and have them put back in the new 18's I have now?? I thought since I got factory wheels off a GT I'd have no problem but it sounds like this was optional until 07?? HELP!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:57 PM
kthulhu
1st Gear Member

I have a variation of your problem.

My dealer swapped a set of 18" fanblades onto my brand new GT from another car on the lot. Everything was good for a few hours and the the "Tire Pressure Monitor Fault" message started popping up. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the car not being calibrated for those wheels, or if there are no sensor bands on the fanblades they got me from the other car.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It is myunderstanding that the primary purpose of TPMS is to prevent tires from being allowed to go too far underinflated.

Is there any effectassociated with setting pressures onthe high side, such as might be used at autocross or under unusual vehicle loading such as trailer towing? If so, can the sensors or control module be recalibrated to permit this? Note that this would involve permitting a wider range of pressures.

Norm
Old 04-01-2007, 01:25 AM
jslove1408
1st Gear Member

you can reset the tire pressures however it requires the tool. the "strap sensor" or band sensors are a pain as well as the valve style sensor they break and seize all the time and aren't cheap to replace. If anything they are more hasle than help. If you just check your air pressure your self often they are useless.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:23 PM
JasonHilton

I ended up buying the straps from TireRack for ~$220
Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 PM
grabbergt07

Does anyone know the part number of the replacement bands from Ford, upgrading to 18" GT4's. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems