Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Too big tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Monza76

Default Too big tires

I have a set of Kuhmo 295/50 x 15 tires, is there any way these tires, fitted to 15X8 wheels could fit the four corners of a 1999-2004 Mustang?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I run 295/30/18"s on front of my New Edge, but have some serious suspension mods to allow the room.

Look up the dimensions of the tire on TireRack.com and let me know. I don't think they will fit.

Jazzer
Old 11-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Monza76

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I run 295/30/18"s on front of my New Edge, but have some serious suspension mods to allow the room.

Look up the dimensions of the tire on TireRack.com and let me know. I don't think they will fit.

Jazzer
Hey Jazzer, I was just looking at pictures of your car and its suspension setup, very impressive. I am very much into getting proper handling and I am currently in the market for a 1999-2004 Mustang (a 5 speed V6 would serve me best) and I am interested in handling upgrades that will not deteriorate the ride too severely ( I live in the land of frost heaves).

I am 53 years old so I am not interested in impressing the ladies, I just want a RWD platform with decent dynamics at a price I can afford. I prefer the V6 because it has slightly better weight distribution, 190hp is plenty for me and if I am going to modify the suspension anyway I don't need the GT upgrades from the factory. I choose this era of Mustang because it is still quite lightweight (lighter than most FWD coupes actually) and it is fairly easy to find a good example at a reasonable price. I would not be completely replacing the stock suspension as you have done but simply adding better bushings, better shocks and anti-roll bars. I think I would leave the stock springs since we do have some pretty nasty roads here in spring time.

I would really like to get some pictures and diagrams of the stock "new edge" suspension system in order to better see what I would be working with so if you know of any please let me know.

Thanks for the response.

Ira
Old 11-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Hey, Ira, thanks for compliments on my ride

I think the biggest thing you can do for the SN95/New Edge is frame support. Upper/lower frame connectors and "K" member will get you VERY well on your way and will only decrease ride quality a little. You will lose SOME ride quality as soon as you start to improve handling. My car actually rides quite nice as far as stiffness is concerned. Running 250# springs out back and somewhere around 325# up front (springs aren't marked). You DO NOT have to suffer to have good handling. In fact, if your car rides real stiff on the streets, your handling will suffer anyway. I learned that the "hard" way with super-duper double-action Tokiko shocks on my '85 GT Stang. Handled wonderful on perfect roads. Trouble was, I never found any

Not sure what you mean by pictures and diagrams of suspension. Are you referring to geometry of how it functions on a track? If you are serious about getting your ride to corner well, talk with Bruce at Griggs. He will let you know the best way to keep your ride quality and hook up on the turns.

Jazzer
Old 11-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Monza76

Hey, Ira, thanks for compliments on my ride

I think the biggest thing you can do for the SN95/New Edge is frame support. Upper/lower frame connectors and "K" member will get you VERY well on your way and will only decrease ride quality a little. You will lose SOME ride quality as soon as you start to improve handling. My car actually rides quite nice as far as stiffness is concerned. Running 250# springs out back and somewhere around 325# up front (springs aren't marked). You DO NOT have to suffer to have good handling. In fact, if your car rides real stiff on the streets, your handling will suffer anyway. I learned that the "hard" way with super-duper double-action Tokiko shocks on my '85 GT Stang. Handled wonderful on perfect roads. Trouble was, I never found any

Not sure what you mean by pictures and diagrams of suspension. Are you referring to geometry of how it functions on a track? If you are serious about getting your ride to corner well, talk with Bruce at Griggs. He will let you know the best way to keep your ride quality and hook up on the turns.

Jazzer

Jazzer

I am so much more concerned with handling that I would actually love to get a 1990-92 four cylinder five speed and really work on the suspension. Those cars are so light, and the four cylinder keeps the balance closer to 50-50. I could stick on some fender flares (http://www.chicane23.com/chicane23/carbon.php), upgrade the suspension and fit those big 295s. It would be pretty slow in a straight line but an absolute ball on a twisty road. I realize that in the old Fox body the frame connectors would be an absolute must.

I will probably end up with a later V6 since they are easier to find but I am one of those rare souls that would be happy with a 5 speed 4 cylinder.

Thanks for the great advice, it is now on my to-do list if and when I can find the car I want.

Ira
Old 11-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Good luck

If you are that into it, find yourself a 4 banger and do the full GR-40/SLA to that baby. You strip down the extra-weight (rear seats, carpet, spare tire and such) and you will have a beast on the twisties.

I would stick with V6 as you need to have a reasonable amount of HP to keep on line when drifting around a turn

Jazzer
Old 11-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Monza76

Good luck

If you are that into it, find yourself a 4 banger and do the full GR-40/SLA to that baby. You strip down the extra-weight (rear seats, carpet, spare tire and such) and you will have a beast on the twisties.

I would stick with V6 as you need to have a reasonable amount of HP to keep on line when drifting around a turn

Jazzer
I will probably have to stay with a v6 anyway, older models do not stand up well in the land of road salt, and I rarely see 4 cylinders with manual transmissions. I do like the idea of a truly lightweight RWD car however. With the fiberglass front fenders and a fiberglass hood and all of the unnecessary bits removed it could be quite entertaining to drive.

Ira
Old 11-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Monza76

Oops mistake