Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Wheels & Tires brought to you by Tire Rack
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Wheels & Tires brought to you by Tire Rack Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Choosing a new tire

Old 03-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #61
strokemy302

Vehicle: 86, Ford, Mustang 5.0
gneal1@lsu.edu HEMIROCKER

http://www.stangtv.com/project-cars/...g-wheel-wells/
do u think this would b the best thing to fit some fat tires within a budget? i havent looked too much into the wells, but these tires they fit on here still just barely squeeze. makes it difficult to want bigger tires on here. what would happen if i just cut through the wells?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
strokemy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:31 AM   #62
strokemy302

Vehicle: 86, Ford, Mustang 5.0
gneal1@lsu.edu HEMIROCKER

im also getting frustrated going back and forth from this thread to the other, so i was wondering what you thought about these fender wells. they say the front ones take 275 and actually dont look bad on the car, but then they put rear ones, and its sketching me out... im wondering if i dont put bigger fenders on the car and i dont fix the wells, (or fix the wells) my tires wont fit on the car. which would b in between 295's and 315's. but i can take 275's if i cant manage the wells/fenders...

this is a full fender upgrade, which is kindof growing on me...
http://www.maierracing.com/

and this is the picture i originally saw.
http://www.inertiasport.com/maier-ra...mustang-coupe/
strokemy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #63
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Vehicle: '02 s281 #0014

You WON'T get a 295 up front, or a 315 out back without fender/tub work

I believe it is a 245 & 275 that essentially maxes out the Fox wheel wells witout any work and will find several threads on this subject with a search. I have a link ***HERE*** to one of them running 10"s, but a VERY tight fit. If you are willing to invest in the fender flare kit for your car, that would be pretty unique and the the envy of those other Fox's out there looking for meats

Jazzer

PS. Don't have a solution between going back/forth between threads. Just install a short-cut in your favorites and open both pages in different tabs.
Jazzer The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #64
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

Jazzer, first off great write-up. There's some great info there.

Second, I just want to make sure I'm looking at getting the right tire for my application. On my '07 GT I have a set of 18x9 and 18x10 wheels, with 255/45 up front and 275/40 in the rear. I am looking for a pair of Drag Radials for a second set of 18x10 wheels I have (I know, not ideal but they were free). Keep in mind I am pushing around 500HP to the wheels. I want a set of Drag Radials that will hook well at the track with my power output but also that don't end up breaking anything. The only thing I have upgraded in my drivetrain is my SPEC Stage 2+ clutch. A friend of mine suggested that a pair of 305/40 NT555Rs would do the job. I have see a lot of opinions online that support what my friend says, and others that completely bash that tire. What do you think? Also, is that tire too wide for my 10" wheel?

EDIT: Would it be better to go with a set of DRs that would fit my factory 17x8 wheels for the extra sidewall flexibility (not to mention MUCH cheaper tires)? If so, would 275/40 be better or 295/45? Wow, I'm asking a lot of questions...

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Last edited by SamsBlueGT; 03-28-2011 at 11:50 PM.
SamsBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #65
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

'Tis true that grip is what break driveline parts, not HP/T. Sounds like you are aware of this and looking for a bit "less" grip to save your driveline. I understand your thinking, but you may end up frustrated with the end result. There is no definative line anyone can tell you at which the strain from traction will cause failure, but one only finds this line AFTER it is crossed. For your stated goals, you are going about this the right way, but I think that technique is going to win the day here. I only know the fundamentals of how to achieve improved gip, but not how to avoid the damage caused by it (other than the obvious)

1/4 mile is not my cup of tea, so all I can do is recommend you find someone who drinks it. There are TONS of people into this and will be able to help you understand the weakest part of the driveline and how to avoid breaking it. After all, ANY tire on the 1/4 mile can cause failure, as you are running at high revs with lots of adrenaline going and staring at the car in the opposite lane.

Jazzer is sorry he cannot be of more help
Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #66
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Hey that's quite alright man, I know that cornering grip is more your cup of tea I appreciate you trying to help and it feels better that I am thinking of the right things.

Speaking of which, I am wanting to attend a pro driving school at Summit Point, do you think my NT555s (non-DR) will give me good grip (they're the 255/45 and 275/40 combo I posted up top) for when I do that? I also plan on upgrading my stock shocks with FRPP ones to match my FRPP K springs. My 'Stang is 95% DD btw...
Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #67
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You can take your car to a driving event in such a tire and will be fine. In fact, I think it is BEST to take ones car to such a thing exactly as they are used to it. That is before too many mods and performance upgrades. Some mods, like suspension and very specific tires for the occasion, can allow one to learn bad habbits.

I have always said that EVERYONE who drives a car, reguardless of make/model, should hit up an HPDE at least once. Sooner or later, everyone that is on the road will find him/herself in a situation that puts the car sideways or all-of-a-sudden WAY too fast for circumstances. Maybe a car runs a red light or blows a stop sign. Maybe looses control via blow-out of tire and ends up swirving into your lane on the freeway. Knowing your car's, and more specifically, YOUR limits, can help you to possibly avoid an accident as you are aware that a car can be out of ones lane, but not necessarily out of control

.... just take a look at NASCAR drivers some time
Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #68
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah in my past I've had a few close calls to help convince me that better learning how to drive is a VERY beneficial thing, I even practiced power slides and controlling slides on dirt in my old Jeep to help me out. That made me better, but I definitely recognize that I'll further learn more with a proper HPDE. I've done that on my motorcycle and that education has been valuable. I probably will get the shocks first though since my stock shocks are very tired.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #69
mustangfan06
IP Match to scammer

Vehicle: 06 GT Base

Nitto 555s or NT05s FTW!
mustangfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #70
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

So yesterday I called Brenspeed and the guy suggested that if I wanted to run ET Streets I would need to upgrade my differential and axle shafts, as those two are my weakest links in my setup with the power I have (~500HP at the wheels). That said, I think I'm sold on the NT555Rs as the NT05Rs are similar to the ET Streets. The 555Rs will be my gateway tire, since they don't quite offer the grip of the 05Rs or ET Streets, so I'm less likely to break something due to a dead hook.

The guy at Brenspeed had no problem talking to me for more than 20 minutes about this even though I wasn't ready to purchase anything just yet. That says something about customer service.

Brenspeed rocks.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #71
jymontoya
1st Gear Member

Wink 285's fit on the front of the S197!!!!

285's fit on the front of the S197!!!!

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172353

It's my car... I have about 10k miles or so with the setup and ZERO issues.

Wheels are 19x10 +50 Saleen Heritage....

I've also seen more than a few people running 285/40/18's on the FRONT AND REAR, on the 18x9.5 GT500 wheel...

Just a little FYI
Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #72
FordDude
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang
Default 275 45 ZR18 on a stock rim

The factory rims are 18 x 8.5. I have been doing some research and many times when I google a tire question it will take me to mustangforums.com So with this one thing I am going to be like everyone else. I want the biggest tire I can fit on my rim. So that being said and using http://www.tirerack.com/ to help choose a tire I found http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeCo ntact+DW&partnum=745YR8ECDW&vehicleSearch=false&fr omCompare1=yes

Looking at the specs chart for this tire and comparing with the OE tire it is very close, just wider. 750 rev per mile compared with the OE of 759 revs per mile, that and it is a pound lighter at 29.

Again when I was googling that size tire I was getting links to here, but they were old posts and the pics were gone. I would love to see a pic of a 275 45 mounted on my rim.

My 07 has 22k on it now, my tires are off being rotated and I see the wear bars are even with the tread. So by my next oil change in 3k miles I am going to get the new tires, but that is not going to be until early 2012. It is a garage queen only being driven weekends and to the store during the week.

Click the image to open in full size.

fd

2007 GT Premium Redfire
5 Speed Manual
3.55 L/S
Spoiler delete
18" Polished 275/45 ZR18
FRPP Stingers
FordDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #73
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

fordDude.... my recommendation is to purchase a tire that suites your needs as a driver. This does NOT mean the Continental Extremes don't fit your needs, but are they the right tire for you?

What kind of grip do you need?

Are you into off-the-line, just cruizin' or doin' the lateral "G" thing, like The Kitty?

Jazzer
Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #74
jeffo
1st Gear Member

Default Tires

Hi,

I actually was in a meeting today with a tire company for about 5 hours going over the different ups and downs to tires.

Some things to remember, mass marketing (hype) does not always translate to performance.

If it is a great tire in the dry weather, it may be the polar opposite in the wet.

Wide tires are good in dry, not so good in wet.

Road noise -- factor or no factor. Tread wear -- factor or no factor.

These are items that should be considered. If it is dry like Nevada or somewhere do not sweat the rain factor. If you are in Flordia or somewhere that gets some rain, consider this.

And of course the last factor == $$$$$$$$.
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #75
DallasStang77

Vehicle: 2013 Mustang GT
Default 2013 Mustang GT's Quest for Wide Rear Tires

Ok... I got Shelby CS40 20X10 in the back and currently run 285/30/20 Nitto 555 and would like to put some 305 on there.

I've tried searching for information but after a few days of searching here and there I can't find specific info about what will clear and what will not and what I need to change if I put those on.

I've dropped the car with Eibach Sportlines and have a J&M LCA and FRPP relocation bracket. Will 305/30/20 clear?

Thanks in advance!
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #76
06whitegt

Vehicle: 06 gt

Just had a set of 4 BF Goodrich Rival 295-35-18's mounted on my Saleen 18x9.5 rims. I have FRP 1" lowering springs and no clearance issues.
06whitegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #77
Jax5.0

Vehicle: 2011 FORD MUSTANG 5.0
jaxjacquez
Send a message via MSN to Jax5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Jax5.0
Default need help buying new tires

2011 mustang 5.0 manual. I'm currently on pirelli p zero nero all season 235/50/18 . They lasted me 49k miles, it's my daily driver. I'm not too sure if to buy the same tires again or go with michelin pilot sport a/s 3. Any input would help, thanks!
Jax5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #78
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ford Mustang gt

ok see alot of discussion about rear tires. For the drag guys what are most running for Front runners? Need it to be Street legal tire for class rules. Trying to find like a 6 in for up front just wondering how small of a rim will clear the brakes 15,16,17,18? got Stck 19s.
its a 2014 gt 6 speed car with brembo package. gonna run 28x10's on the rears for this year. Then really thinking about Min tubs so can go 31 or 33x10s next year after i add blower.
bryan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #79
06whitegt

Vehicle: 06 gt

With brembo's minimum would be 18" dia rim. (width shouldn't matter) Remember a mag article where a guy was doing a cobra-jet clone, he had to go to v6 brakes to get the smaller rims to fit, but not sure the year, so you would need to double check just to make sure even the '14 v6 brakes would clear a 15" rim if you really wanted to go that small.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #80
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ford Mustang gt
Default front tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06whitegt View Post
With brembo's minimum would be 18" dia rim. (width shouldn't matter) Remember a mag article where a guy was doing a cobra-jet clone, he had to go to v6 brakes to get the smaller rims to fit, but not sure the year, so you would need to double check just to make sure even the '14 v6 brakes would clear a 15" rim if you really wanted to go that small.
yea dont mind staying 18s. just looking to go alittle thinner if possible. Gonna have to start searching for rims soon.
bryan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
back, chart, comparison, diameters, ford, forums, front, mustang, oem, offset, rim, svt, tire, tires, tread, wheel