Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Dangerous Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 02:32 AM
trev0006
Banned

Default Dangerous Tires

Dangerous Tires old tires have expiration dates.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Redfire6er
1st Gear Member

Wow!!! Very informative. Never realized there was a date on the tires. I might sound dumb, but I always just checked the tread. Thanks for the link to the video, very useful.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:40 PM
mmorningstar
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by trev0006
Dangerous Tires old tires have expiration dates.

good stuff trev0006, I've known about the date thing for less than a year, and I'm 34 years old, most people have no idea about this. It's definately buyer beware, especially for those of you thinking you are getting a killer deal on feebay....

It never fails to amuse me that people will drive a $20K, $30K, or $40K Mustang and put garbage on their wheels. Tires are the single most important item on your car, power delivery, braking, handling, it all starts with the contact patch!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by mmorningstar
"...It never fails to amuse me that people will drive a $20K, $30K, or $40K Mustang and put garbage on their wheels. Tires are the single most important item on your car, power delivery, braking, handling, it all starts with the contact patch!
mmorningstar.... I love you!
Old 11-07-2009, 02:11 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Yeah I've seen that video a while back which is why I am kinda freaking out over my ET streets now....not being daily used of course
Old 11-07-2009, 06:56 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

The purest form of greed. Sears and other retailers probably get old "new" tires at a discount and roll the dice with the unknowing buyer. The whole thing is such a freaking disgrace. PUT A DAMN BORN-ON-DATE WHERE WE CAN SEE IT ON THE TIRE. Not this cryptic BS on the inside facing tire wall. F*ing Devils.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:29 AM
cootertwo

Thanks Trev
Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 PM
nateCR
1st Gear Member

guys you must remember that 20/20 is a little dramatic. i have worked in a costco tire center for three years now, and our policy is that once a tire gets over 3 years old i can;t sell it, and then its warranty is good from 6 years from the purchase.....

when tires sit they are normally in a controlled environment, and thus why we have three years, what happens when they sit tooo long the oils used in the rubber will actully leech out of the tire, you'll see that one floors in the stock room in a tire center. basically that spot always has a tire on it and will develop a black ring in the shape of a tire.

this process is the same as ozone checking, i have seen 14yr old tires in better condition then 4 year old tires, the main problem is uv exposure will dry the oils out and cause dry cracking... thats why if you live in a sunny state your motorhome or trailer tires should always have a cover, they will dry crack... and im sorry to say reading dates is not hard, its not a CODE, and most places like costco require DOT date out for a non directional tire.. its not hidden, it was part of a serial number you just have to be aware of... now about listing a big date... if you notice on most tires u'll see a casting spot on both sides of the tire, one side has the dot and the other is blank.. basically when they mold a tire the dot number is the serial number which requires a date, now that blank is so that the casting change is not too huge, (which is spendy) so its small and at the end of a code cause its requited to be there and makes the smallest impact on cost so your tires are not a ten more bucks a piece...

if you notice.. the warehouse is full of explorers..... whats that tell you.... scare tactics. i must say its rare for people that ask about it... its normally old people that watch 20/20...
Old 01-04-2010, 11:43 PM
jobeonnet
2nd Gear Member

^^ +1 and almost all the skins on the road are from retreads.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:12 AM
nateCR
1st Gear Member

i knew i forgot something.....

annnd the most dangerous thing people neglect...... air presure

Quick Reply: Dangerous Tires