Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

American Racing Shelby Razor 20 X 9 fitment

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:16 AM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

Default American Racing Shelby Razor 20 X 9 fitment

Hi all,

Is anyone running the following on their 05 and up Mustang GT with any problems?

20 X 9 Shelby Razors with +24mm offset all around
275/35/20's in the back
255/35/20's in the front

Do the wheels and tires stick out too much with this offset? If so, how much? I am looking at purchasing some Razors, but there is so much conflicting information regarding the offsets for these wheels. I know the +40mm is designed for 05 and up and +24mm for 99-04 Mustangs.....but I know some guys have used the +24mm on the newer cars. I do want a more aggressive stance, but at the same time I do not want the tires/wheels protruding out of the fenders. Likewise, I do not want the tires/wheels sitting too far into the fenders....which some people have pointed out could be a problem with the +40mm offset.

Any feedback here would be much appreciated, especially by those who have the Razors on their car or have seen them on someone else's car.

Many thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You have done your research (it's good he did his research)

The typical off-set for a 9" wheel on an S197 is +45mm, so the +24mm ones will be approx. 3/4" farther outward. I know that an 18"x9" Saleen wheel will run on an S197 per someone on here who has done it and had some pics. I agree with you on the looks end as the wheels were pushed outward and looked cool. Your fenders are rolled so I don't forsee a rubbing issue on the sizes mentioned, but will be close for sure.

The best way to figure out how it will look, is the following. Take the measurements of your current wheels, let's say they are 8" wide at 6" back-space. The back-space for the +24mm 9" wheel you would like is just about 6" back-space as well. Use a floor jack and lift a rear wheel by the axle just high enough to get the tire off the ground. Loosen the lug-nuts 1" and slide the wheels outward until they contact the lug-nuts. This will be the same location as the wheels you propose. Step back and look at your ride from all angles.

If your wheels are NOT the dimensions I used, figure out how they differ and do the math. This will also give you an idea of the possile rubbing issue. If you know someone running your proposed tire combo on +45mm wheels you like, do this experiment on his/her ride and go from there.

Jazzer
Old 02-20-2010, 09:05 AM
UMich97
2nd Gear Member

I believe Taco Bill is running the +24mm on all four corners w/20" Shelby Razors. There is a long thread over at TMS with pictures of various offsets and the Razors. Unfortunately, I don't recall all of the tire sizes everyone was running, but pretty sure several had 255's on all four.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:21 AM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
You have done your research (it's good he did his research)

The typical off-set for a 9" wheel on an S197 is +45mm, so the +24mm ones will be approx. 3/4" farther outward. I know that an 18"x9" Saleen wheel will run on an S197 per someone on here who has done it and had some pics. I agree with you on the looks end as the wheels were pushed outward and looked cool. Your fenders are rolled so I don't forsee a rubbing issue on the sizes mentioned, but will be close for sure.

The best way to figure out how it will look, is the following. Take the measurements of your current wheels, let's say they are 8" wide at 6" back-space. The back-space for the +24mm 9" wheel you would like is just about 6" back-space as well. Use a floor jack and lift a rear wheel by the axle just high enough to get the tire off the ground. Loosen the lug-nuts 1" and slide the wheels outward until they contact the lug-nuts. This will be the same location as the wheels you propose. Step back and look at your ride from all angles.

If your wheels are NOT the dimensions I used, figure out how they differ and do the math. This will also give you an idea of the possile rubbing issue. If you know someone running your proposed tire combo on +45mm wheels you like, do this experiment on his/her ride and go from there.

Jazzer
Thanks Jazzer for your thoughtful insight. I will have to figure out what size my current wheels are. I have the stock 17 inch "snowflake" wheels......but not sure about the other dimensions. Will have to look into it....unless someone on here knows off hand.

Do you think the wheels/tires will be out about 21mm then? It will be very close.....I spoke to someone at American Racing today....and he said both offsets will work (i.e. should not stick out). I may call again just to see if he knows exactly how much the +24mm will stick out.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:22 AM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UMich97
I believe Taco Bill is running the +24mm on all four corners w/20" Shelby Razors. There is a long thread over at TMS with pictures of various offsets and the Razors. Unfortunately, I don't recall all of the tire sizes everyone was running, but pretty sure several had 255's on all four.
Do you know if Taco Bill is on here? What is TMS? I will have to check it out. Thanks for the information.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

5POINT.... are ***THESE*** wheels the ones on your ride?

If so, they are indeed 8.5" (OEM tires were 235/55/17"s) wide and +44mm (close enough to +45mm for what we're doing here). If you measure your CURRENT wheels, you should have 7" of back-space. Your PROPOSED +24mm wheels will have 6~1/4" back-space, but be 1/2" wider. This means that these wheels should be 1.25" farther outward at the face than your CURRENT wheels.

Another way to think about this.... The new wheels will be moved outward 3/4" due to back-space difference. The +24mm wheel is also 1/2" wider, so add this much going outward as you are measuring from the inner most point on the wheel and is 7" deep.

I always have a difficult time doing all the math here, so read all this and make sure it makes sense to you.

Jazzer

EDIT: TMS = The Mustang Source

Take a look at ***THIS*** page and will likely be of some help

***HERE*** is his video page and will likely have links to pics and such or can contact him directly.

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 02-21-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:22 AM
jayman33
Banned

I am kind of in the same boat, I like that flush look with the fender and wheel which I assume so does everyone else. I have been curious to know what offsets to use with the razors in order to achieve that look.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:50 AM
UMich97
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5POINTOH
Do you know if Taco Bill is on here? What is TMS? I will have to check it out. Thanks for the information.
Yes, TacoBill is a member on MF and TMS. TMS is another Mustang forum....short for The Mustang Source.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:39 AM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
5POINT.... are ***THESE*** wheels the ones on your ride?

If so, they are indeed 8.5" (OEM tires were 235/55/17"s) wide and +44mm (close enough to +45mm for what we're doing here). If you measure your CURRENT wheels, you should have 7" of back-space. Your PROPOSED +24mm wheels will have 6~1/4" back-space, but be 1/2" wider. This means that these wheels should be 1.25" farther outward at the face than your CURRENT wheels.

Another way to think about this.... The new wheels will be moved outward 3/4" due to back-space difference. The +24mm wheel is also 1/2" wider, so add this much going outward as you are measuring from the inner most point on the wheel and is 7" deep.

I always have a difficult time doing all the math here, so read all this and make sure it makes sense to you.

Jazzer

EDIT: TMS = The Mustang Source

Take a look at ***THIS*** page and will likely be of some help

***HERE*** is his video page and will likely have links to pics and such or can contact him directly.
Thanks again Jazzer, you are a great resource on wheels/tires
Old 02-22-2010, 01:40 AM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayman33
I am kind of in the same boat, I like that flush look with the fender and wheel which I assume so does everyone else. I have been curious to know what offsets to use with the razors in order to achieve that look.
+24mm for the flushed with fender look, +40mm for a slightly tucked in look.....check out Jazzer's link in this thread.

Quick Reply: American Racing Shelby Razor 20 X 9 fitment