Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

tire and wheel question

Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Shorter7

Question tire and wheel question

got a good deal on a set of 17x10.5 wheels for the back and 17x8 front wheels for my 91 mustang and i was wondering if anyone has ever tried to fit a 10.5 wheel under one without tubbing it i think it will go if i remove the quadshock....also if someone here has done it what size tire did you use? the car has been converted to five lug..
Old 07-08-2010, 02:19 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

well it has been done. with the correct back spacing and axle choice. are yours sn-95 axles or fox length axles? and i believe people are still running a 275/40/17 with that rim i have that tire but on a 9" rim

also this doesnt seem like tech so it might get moved on you
Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You are gonna have trouble running a 10.5" wheel under a Fox, reguardless of spindle exchange.

A 10" wheel with a 275 is pushing it pretty hard, so you may have to tub it to some degree. Take a look at ***THIS*** link and will give you some info that you will need to do this.

Jazzer
Old 07-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Shorter7

I'm using ranger axles for the swap on the rear end and sn/95 spindles for the front...im not too worried about the front because i have a set of 17x8's for it the back is what i am concerned about...
Old 07-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

As well you should be

A 10.5" wheel is HUGE for an un-tubbed Fox irrespective of the off-set of wheel/spindles and such. If the wheel is perfectly centered under the fender, it will still rub upon articulation and/or axle compression via bump in road. At the very least, you will need to remove the quads (no prob, but should get some good LCA's anyway) and heavily roll the fenders and likely stick with a 275 tire.

Do LOTS of research before you go after this project so you know what is involved prior to commiting what may turn out to be a bigger investment than you planned.

Jazzer
Old 07-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Shorter7

its just a toy not a DD so i got plenty of time to try things i think it would look sick if they fit....how exactly do you recomend going about rolling the fenders? i have used a wooden bat on some race cars lol....btw nice ride jazzer
Old 07-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Thanks (but just some random pic I found on the web!)

There are tools that can be rented to roll the fenders, but I have not tried one. I had mine rolled by Griggs when they did the suspension work. I wasn't even aware they were going to do it, but was fine. I ended up rolling the rears a bit more to clear once I went to 11" wheels, but actually cut a major portion of the front lip completely off to clear the ones up there. The point being, it is unknown exactly how much to do, untill you put the wheels in there and try it.

My recommendation is to stick with 10" wheels as this is proven to work without major work to fender via my link above. I don't think that a 10.5" wheel will be much worse, but cannot be easier to do, that is for sure.

Jazzer
Old 07-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Shorter7

Well I've boon looking online at some of the fender roller jigs...doesnt look to complicated so im going to make one here in the shop and depending on how well it works thought about renting it out to some of the guys on here who need one...If anyone is interested i could start a thread and show you how i am goin to go about making it.....maybe some of your ideas could help with the design.... should look like this when i get done....

Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Seems like a lot of work, but I love those kinds of projects and have done lots of them myself.

Good luck

Jazzer
Old 07-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Shorter7

OK so im not sure where i should post a new thread at but here are a few pics of where i am at with this fender lip roller got a few more hourse of work left and some welding but almost there....

Last edited by Shorter7; 07-16-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tire and wheel question