Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

My BBS Boss 302 rims just arrived! Now what tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK... this makes more sense now, as I kept thinking there was more info that had been dicussed, but was in your BBS wheels thread

Jazzer
Old 09-19-2010, 05:07 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Several questions for you here...

What size wheels are you running, both front and back?
Unless you are running at least a 10" wheel, I would steer away (< pun intended ) from the 285's or 295's.

Why do you want a 40 series tire?
Are you trying to fill the wheel well via tire profile? I happen to think this is not the way to go, as you are only limiting your suspension travel at the expense of reduced turn-in response

The NT555's are nowhere near the tire you are looking at in the RA1's or R888's, so just flat drop them off your list.

The NT555"R" is really a combo street/strip tire and a compromise for the 1/4 mile and open track work, so the NT555"R"II would be a better choice, IMO.

The NT01 is a fine tire, but would go "R"II's instead

*just realized, you have two threads here and are related, I will merge them*

Jazzer
The rims are 18 x 10 for both front and back and I included the sales features below in quotes. I see your point regarding travel of the 35 vs the 40 and I am really glad you brought it up. So the 35s are back in and that opens up my choices big time. The RA1 is my top choice so my search is getting easy now once I know what tire size you would recommend. Do you think I should go with the 275/35ZR18 or the 305/35ZR18 given my 10 inch rims. I would love to run 305s in all 4 corners but again I would rather hear from someone like yourself who has been doing this for a while.

Thanks Jazzer!

The finest wheels available for the 2005-current S197 Mustang. BBS's racing credentials need no introduction. Made with the same Formula One, LeMans, World Rally, IndyCar, Grand-Am Championship-proven technology. Casting and flow-formed process shared with the BBS Ferrari F430 Challenge wheel. Ligher, stiffer, and more affordable than a three-piece wheel. Standard equipment on the Ford Racing Mustang Boss 302R
•18" diameter x 10" wide
•extremely light: 20 lbs
•5-lug on 4.5" (114.3m) bolt circle
•7" (178mm) backspacing
•cast and flow-formed technology combines lower weight and superior stiffness over competitive wheel designs
•will fit SN95 when used with appropriate wheel spacers
•simply the finest wheel available for the 2005-current S197 Mustang
Old 09-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If you are going to go open track/AX your ride, no question I would say the 275's. This would be for two reasons....

The first being that a 275 is gonna have a nice taught sidewall and be MUCH more responsive in the corners than a 305. This is gonna pay off on hard turns and improve your speeds around the track.

The second reason would be the improved clearance that will be afforded up front. I am nearly positive that Roush runs a 10" wheel up front on some of their S197 rides, I am unable to confirm, but typically the S197 aftermarket wheels are no more than 9" wide. I can say that such a wheel is pushing the clearance up front unless you were to go removing the liner and such under the fender. As it stands, you may have some rubbing issues, but don't know enough about your model to say for sure or how much.

Jazzer

PS. When such a time as suspension needs come callin', give me a PM and will help you get the most of upgrades. I can help you to avoid wasting time on useless/ineffective or bad mods that can hurt performance and waste your hard earned $$$'s

BTW.... Do you know how to make a small fortune in auto racing? ... Start with a large one!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:32 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

I almost forgot, I think I am going to need to add the TPMS in all 4 tires since I am going to also be keeping my old rims with the TPMS. I guess that adds another $200 or so..
Old 09-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Seems to me I saw you mention this in the Customer wheels thread on this section homepage.

Yup, you will ... I mean
Old 09-19-2010, 08:06 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

If you are going to go open track/AX your ride, no question I would say the 275's. This would be for two reasons....

The first being that a 275 is gonna have a nice taught sidewall and be MUCH more responsive in the corners than a 305. This is gonna pay off on hard turns and improve your speeds around the track.

The second reason would be the improved clearance that will be afforded up front. I am nearly positive that Roush runs a 10" wheel up front on some of their S197 rides, I am unable to confirm, but typically the S197 aftermarket wheels are no more than 9" wide. I can say that such a wheel is pushing the clearance up front unless you were to go removing the liner and such under the fender. As it stands, you may have some rubbing issues, but don't know enough about your model to say for sure or how much.

Jazzer

PS. When such a time as suspension needs come callin', give me a PM and will help you get the most of upgrades. I can help you to avoid wasting time on useless/ineffective or bad mods that can hurt performance and waste your hard earned $$$'s

BTW.... Do you know how to make a small fortune in auto racing? ... Start with a large one!
Thanks again Jazzer and I will go with the 275 RA1 tires all the way around with the TPMS then (unless you think I could put 275 up front and 305 in the rear). I can adjust the height of my ride up or down with the Tein Flex coilovers so I hope that keeps me from having any rubbing issues. I was lucky enough to work with Tein directly to help them develop the 2010 GT product and I got a free suspension for my car. I opted to wait for the production model and pay $500 and they gave me the first final version rather than the prototype one they were originally going to give me. They only charged me their cost of the EDFC and I decided to put it in the glove box. After I buy the tires this week I am going to be looking into some brake options.

There are many who keep telling me I am doing all of this wrong and to start and end with more motor, I clearly do not follow that line of thinking. Why the hell do I want more motor when the car needs to turn, stop and corner better? This was very eye opening for me and I feel good about each one of my decisions. I have been working with Magnaflow for many years and they have always taken care of me but I am not allowed to say to what extent so I have been able to do many of these mods on the cheap compared to what they would normally cost.

Wednesday I need to go to Megan Racing and they are going to give me an exhaust for my car but I really do not need another one so I am not sure what to do with it? I am kind of curious how it will sound but in the end I would never give it up over my Magnaflow setup. I am very tempted to give it to Mustang Forums as a gift to use however they want to bring in new members or reward the ones they already have. I really appreciate you and others helping me do something that has always been important to me. I have always wanted to build a car I could track too and this is one more goal I can cross off my list. Would you like to have the cat back as a gift to the website? The only problem would be that it would only work on a 2010 or a 2011.

Last edited by macmovieman; 09-19-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by macmovieman
"... There are many who keep telling me I am doing all of this wrong and to start and end with more motor, I clearly do not follow that line of thinking. Why the hell do I want more motor when the car needs to turn, stop and corner better? This was very eye opening for me and I feel good about each one of my decisions... "
This is exactly how I feel and what I have been preaching for over 4 years now on this and other forums My ride has a scorching 248 HP and happy with its performance to accelerate, but am constantly amazed by its ability rip a corner! I have seen literally THOUSANDS of pepes go after high HP mods without any respect to putting it to the ground or keeping it under control. Tires are the number one item, next to the driver, keeping your car under control and why I have written the Choosing a new tire thread. Suspension is the next in line here and why I assembled/wrote much of the Official Suspension Guide for my pepes to get the most of the power they ALREADY have

Originally Posted by macmovieman
"... Wednesday I need to go to Megan Racing and they are going to give me an exhaust..." "... I am very tempted to give it to Mustang Forums as a gift to use however they want to bring in new members or reward the ones they already have. I really appreciate you and others helping me do something that has always been important to me. I have always wanted to build a car I could track too and this is one more goal I can cross off my list. Would you like to have the cat back as a gift to the website?
You are more than welcome, as I am MORE than happy to have an ear for one who is into tires. Moreover, you will come to appreciate your suspension and consider this a double-bonus

If you are serious about your offer for the exhaust, let me know and I will put the issue to the mods. I would need to know if you are willing to ship it to a given address, but probably would need to send it to the site admin for some sort of auction or reward for ROTM or something.

Speaking of which.... I am losing big time, but would appreciate your consideration of ROTM for Sept.

Jazzer

PS. We haven't even touched on brakes. I can give you some good info in that direction as well, so LMK
Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

This is exactly how I feel and what I have been preaching for over 4 years now on this and other forums My ride has a scorching 248 HP and happy with its performance to accelerate, but am constantly amazed by its ability rip a corner! I have seen literally THOUSANDS of pepes go after high HP mods without any respect to putting it to the ground or keeping it under control. Tires are the number one item, next to the driver, keeping your car under control and why I have written the Choosing a new tire thread. Suspension is the next in line here and why I assembled/wrote much of the Official Suspension Guide for my pepes to get the most of the power they ALREADY have

You are more than welcome, as I am MORE than happy to have an ear for one who is into tires. Moreover, you will come to appreciate your suspension and consider this a double-bonus

If you are serious about your offer for the exhaust, let me know and I will put the issue to the mods. I would need to know if you are willing to ship it to a given address, but probably would need to send it to the site admin for some sort of auction or reward for ROTM or something.

Speaking of which.... I am losing big time, but would appreciate your consideration of ROTM for Sept.

Jazzer

PS. We haven't even touched on brakes. I can give you some good info in that direction as well, so LMK
I am sure that I would like to offer the Megan Racing catback as a gift to the site for helping me and others. I live in southern CA and I am sure we could figure something out depending on where it needed to be shipped. I work for a major carrier and maybe they would allow me to put it on one of my trucks to get it to where it needs to go. The best case would be a winner in soutern CA but that would end up just being the luck of the draw. Let the other mods know I would like to do this and let me know what they would like me to do. I am still not sure how I am going to get it back from LA in my ride yet?

By the way you have another vote. If you could help me get the right brakes later this month that would be great!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Excellent...

I will post up a thread in the mods section and link to your above post. You may hear from one of them, depending on how feasible your offer is. Either way, it is appreciated and likely will be able to make some sort of auction or contest for your exhaust to be the prize.

Jazzer
Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Excellent...

I will post up a thread in the mods section and link to your above post. You may hear from one of them, depending on how feasible your offer is. Either way, it is appreciated and likely will be able to make some sort of auction or contest for your exhaust to be the prize.

Jazzer
Works for me Jazzer and my only concern is it will only fit the 2010 and 2011 Mustangs. I would love to see someone benefit the way I have this last year. I love to try and help people the same way you helped me. Check out this price I just found on the RA1 tires! LINK If this is the real deal I am going to order 4 tires from them tomorrow.

PS Just ordered them, I did not want to run the risk that they might go up...

Last edited by macmovieman; 09-19-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: My BBS Boss 302 rims just arrived! Now what tires?