Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

20s... bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 AM
MattS93
1st Gear Member

Default 20s... bad?

So I have seen a lot of hating on 20s goin around. By all means, im not tryin to "pimp" my ride or anything, I just found a cool set of 20s for a good price on craigslist. How much do they weigh down the car? How much rougher is the ride? Im talking about compared to like, 18s.. cuz thats what Im thinking about looking for.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Who cares what me or anyone else thinks about the wheels you choose, it is YOUR car

20"s will ride rougher due to the lower profile tires needed to retain clearance. They are gonna be heavier, but you won't notice, so don't you pay no never mind to that.

Jazzer
Old 09-29-2010, 02:56 PM
MattS93
1st Gear Member

I dont want it to be like ridiculously rougher though you know?

and sorry to hear about your cat..
Old 09-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Widowmaker[X]
2nd Gear Member

I'd suggest the 18's. The biggest difference in ride quality is when you get above 18 inches. The difference from say 16-18 is minimal, but when you get into the 20' range you will definitely notice a considerably rougher ride. As for the weight, you may be talking a few pounds per tire but nothing substantial...

Looks wise, I think 20's are too big IMO
Old 09-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Agreed with the Widowmaker here....

As the profile of tire gets smaller, you get a rougher ride, but a better turn-in response. I run a 30 series on all four corners on very high performance Winter tires/wheels and even higher performance Summer tires/wheels. My car feels EVERYTHING on the road and if you are rollin' on 20's, you can get into the 25 or even 20 series tires.

Talk about a rough ride..... eek!

Jazzer

PS. Thanks for kind words, Matt
Old 10-01-2010, 08:47 AM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

The problem with many of the 20" wheels debates is that it is filled with comments by many who have never actually owned a set and are repeating many of the same old comments and misconceptions that just keep getting cycled and recycled.

I had a set of 20's on my '07 for 1 season so I can give you only my perspective.
They were heavier but I never ever felt any difference driving the car.
If weight savings for drag racing is your thing then consider this may hurt your et.

I may be an exception here but I absolutely never noticed a rougher ride on the 20's versus the 17" stockers.
I slow down for bumps and potholes and such so it was not an issue for me.
If you just plow around hitting any and all road defects then you maybe will see a difference. Tire choice can influence the ride quality as well.
I had Yokohama s drives and they were just fine for me.

Looks. I loved the look of the 20's and they do not look too big on the s197 in my opinion.
Obviously the style of the rim has a lot to do with the look but with a 20" rim your brakes will look undersized if you have a wheel with large openings in the spokes (like bullits, etc).
A more closed faced style do not highlight that as much.

I have since sold them but only to go from a chrome wheel to a gunmetal wheel. I found a great deal on a set of 18's so I went for it but I do not rule out going to a 20" down the road when something interesting comes my way.

As was already said, don't spend your money on other peoples tastes.
Do your thing, be your own man and don't look back.

Last edited by DTK; 10-04-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ Some good input and a nice review
Old 10-01-2010, 02:30 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I think the s197 can easliy pull off 20's and not look ghetto. Some people disagree, thats cool. To each his own. Do whatever YOU think looks good.

The total weight difference between my 20's and my stockers is is about 65 lbs total. Granted, its all unsprung weight, but still not the end of the world. I've put more than 65 lbs of groceries in the trunk before, so I dont really sweat that.

You will notice a small difference in ride quality, but again mine is far from noticable. What suspension are you running right now? That will make more of a difference than wheels ever will. If you are still on stock suspension, then you wont notice a large differnce IMHO. Even if your lowered, the difference between stock and 20's will not be huge.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:46 PM
MattS93
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! yeah im on stock suspension. Id feel a little ghetto saying "im on 20s" aha but whatever. These are the ones Im looking at:

Old 10-10-2010, 11:41 AM
ChaotiXx

I don't mind 20's as long as its not all chrome. I got a set of Black S-Style 20's on mine.

Quick Reply: 20s... bad?