Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Bought a new set! Tire suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 03:09 PM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Bought a new set! Tire suggestions?

Bought a new set of rims and I would like to get some tire suggestions.

These are 20x9 fronts, 20x10 rears,
My car puts down about 350 horsepower,
This is my DD and I like to drift from time to time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Also, been thinking about getting them black. Any suggestions about powdercoating or painting would be great.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Congrats on new wheels, now you need to spend just as much money for a set of meats

With your HP numbers and a proclivity to drift.... you need sticky's! This means an "R" rated tire will be your best bet, unless you just want to do doughnuts. In such a case, just get some A/S beaters and wear your concrete shoe

What are the weather conditions where you live and will the new tires be used year 'round?

Jazzer
Old 01-01-2011, 10:08 PM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Congrats on new wheels, now you need to spend just as much money for a set of meats

With your HP numbers and a proclivity to drift.... you need sticky's! This means an "R" rated tire will be your best bet, unless you just want to do doughnuts. In such a case, just get some A/S beaters and wear your concrete shoe

What are the weather conditions where you live and will the new tires be used year 'round?

Jazzer
Lol.

Haha, yes I need a set of meats (or I can just use the ones on my car for a while and get a set later). I really don't do doughnuts, but drifting - yes. I live in AZ for now but I plan to move to Cali within a year or two. I would like these tires to be used year round or longer. So any suggestions would be great.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Year 'round is gonna be a bit tough, as "R" comps don't always do so well in the rain

I was just down in AZ over Christmas and weather was like 72°, but even get rain there upon occasion Hell, you guys even get snow up on the North end of the state! They are absolutely NOT for any type of freezing weather, so if you are going to such locations, you will need to get an appropriate set o tires on your existing wheels.

I am thinking Toyo RA1's for your "R" comps and "may" be worn out in 2 years anyway, if you don't move until then. They are basically a race tire, but rated for the street. They will be "OK" in the wet, but NOT to be used in freezing/snow conditions. The compound will crack and tire can fail, in such a case. I run the R888's and would do the same thing!

If you are not moving for a year or two, how cold does it get in whatever part of AZ you are living now?

Jazzer

EDIT: Pepe the links in my sig as you will need some other mods to enjoy your endeavors safely

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 01-02-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:43 PM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Year 'round is gonna be a bit tough, as "R" comps don't always do so well in the rain

I was just down in AZ over Christmas and weather was like 72°, but even get rain there upon occasion Hell, you guys even get snow up on the North end of the state! They are absolutely NOT for any type of freezing weather, so if you are going to such locations, you will need to get an appropriate set o tires on your existing wheels.

I am thinking Toyo RA1's for your "R" comps and "may" be worn out in 2 years anyway, if you don't move until then. They are basically a race tire, but rated for the street. They will be "OK" in the wet, but NOT to be used in freezing/snow conditions. The compound will crack and tire can fail, in such a case. I run the R888's and would do the same thing!

If you are not moving for a year or two, how cold does it get in whatever part of AZ you are living now?

Jazzer

EDIT: Pepe the links in my sig as you will need some other mods to enjoy your endeavors safely
I'll check into those tires. Within 2 years, I will be moving to a college in southern cali but may not have the mustang by the time
I move there - never know though. As far as reading the Weather Forecast on Yahoo!, the lowest/coldest temp for this week will be 36 degrees Fahrenheit. So it could go lower but I doubt it would touch 28ish degress Fah.

As far as tire sizes, I'm thinking 255-65 for the fronts (20x9) and 285-95 for the rears (20x10). To be honest, I don't know how to figure out what the middle number should be for 20" wheels. Mind help me out here?

Thanks,

Dalton

Ps. I will be checking out your links sometime soon in your sig.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Anytime one drives on an "R" comp tire in snow or freezing temps, will cause them damage! The compound is just too soft and will crack under the load of such conditions. There is just not a lot of places one can run an "R" comp year 'round.

Tires sizes are best to be kept at OEM diameters, IMO. Look up your stock tires and peep the specs page. This will give you the diameter, so recommend you keep it there. You have a lot of clearance on your S197, so you can certainly go up a bit. You really need to keep all four tires pretty close to the same diameter for front/rear. The ABS sensors tend to bark at you if you get more than 1" or so differential. There is no hard/fast rule on this, but close to this, or over, can cause some issues and best to avoid them.

Can you keep the tires on your existing wheels for Winter and get a nicer set on your new ones for Summer and playtime?

Jazzer
Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Anytime one drives on an "R" comp tire in snow or freezing temps, will cause them damage! The compound is just too soft and will crack under the load of such conditions. There is just not a lot of places one can run an "R" comp year 'round.

Tires sizes are best to be kept at OEM diameters, IMO. Look up your stock tires and peep the specs page. This will give you the diameter, so recommend you keep it there. You have a lot of clearance on your S197, so you can certainly go up a bit. You really need to keep all four tires pretty close to the same diameter for front/rear. The ABS sensors tend to bark at you if you get more than 1" or so differential. There is no hard/fast rule on this, but close to this, or over, can cause some issues and best to avoid them.

Can you keep the tires on your existing wheels for Winter and get a nicer set on your new ones for Summer and playtime?

Jazzer
Alright, I will have to contact the people who put on tires for me for the specs. What would be my best bet if "R" comp is not an option? I wouldn't go anything over 1" unless I know it's not going to be an issue. I will be putting the existing tires on these as soon as I get it black for the winter but will need new ones in the future. As far as getting these wheels black, which route should I go on, powdercoating or painting?

Thanks,

Dalton
Old 01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Paint will not hold up over time PC is your best option, but will have to take cost into account.

If an "R" comp is not an option, you are gonna want to go sticky as you can afford. You are gonna want a stiff sidewall, as a soft one is not gonna be good for pitching the rear end out. It is pretty much a given anyway, as you are going 20"s and will have a pretty low profile reguardless. You are gonna be in the 25/30 range, in terms of profile, so gonna have a bit rougher ride than you may be used to on the road.

Jazzer
Old 01-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Decepticon
1st Gear Member

I would love to see what these wheels look like powder coated.
I have close to the same wheels and some of the chrome is flaking off.
Looks like crap,so I'm looking for a future alternative.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Paint will not hold up over time PC is your best option, but will have to take cost into account.

If an "R" comp is not an option, you are gonna want to go sticky as you can afford. You are gonna want a stiff sidewall, as a soft one is not gonna be good for pitching the rear end out. It is pretty much a given anyway, as you are going 20"s and will have a pretty low profile reguardless. You are gonna be in the 25/30 range, in terms of profile, so gonna have a bit rougher ride than you may be used to on the road.

Jazzer
Ok, thanks. I'll find out more information with the tires currently on my car. That way I can decided if I should just get new same tires or look for something else. Thanks again for your advice. I'll contact you if I still need your help.

Originally Posted by Decepticon
I would love to see what these wheels look like powder coated.
I have close to the same wheels and some of the chrome is flaking off.
Looks like crap,so I'm looking for a future alternative.
I will post pictures as soon as it's done. Right now, I'm looking for a place in Phx/Scottsdale area to powdercoat my wheels.