Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Jazzer the expert.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:57 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Default Jazzer the expert.....

My tires do not hold well at all, haha. They're good for a stock car, not so much my supercharged one. I have 18x9 up front and 18 x 10 in back. Can you give me a couple good street tires that will grip very well and provide decent life??? I know you know some of the best tires, so I'm askin you! Also, money is kind of a factor, but I am willing to spend on better tires.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Well, mien freund.... you are gonna need to dig deep into your piggy bank, as far as I am concerned.

Running an S/C'd ride, you MUST have grip, or you are on borrowed time between a good rip off the line or around a corner and the nearest object that will prove itself to be un-moveable upon impact

As my "Choosing" thread says.... Tires are the single most important item, next to the driver keeping your car on the road. It also says, what are your needs as a driver?

Straight line grip, or lateral grip for ripping corners like The Cat

Jazzer.... askin' the tough questions of his pepes
Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Street driving. Can handle some punching and can handle itself without losing control on corners. dont drag it or ax it much at all if ever. so mainly on street performance
Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Subscribed.

I have been looking at nitto 555's and the BFG KDW's. Unfortunately I can't find the KDWs in 315's. I want some tires that grip WELL.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:05 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine
Subscribed.

I have been looking at nitto 555's and the BFG KDW's. Unfortunately I can't find the KDWs in 315's. I want some tires that grip WELL.
me too.... mine blow. that's where jazzer saves my a$$ lol
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Well, lateral grip and off-the-line grip are really two different directions.

Ideally:
Lateral grip ~ Soft compound with a stiff and low-profile sidewall
off-the-line grip ~ Soft compund with a flexable and high-profile sidewall

There is no great inbetween tire here folks, so I recommend you focus specifically on one area, or figure to compromise between the two for less than wonderful at both.

Bo... you are in Michigan, so I need to know if you will be driving these tires in the snow, ice or just VERY cold weather. I also need to know what tires you are running currently

Moon... what kind of grip are you looking to find? Lateral or off-the-line?

Jazzer... takin' on the BOTH yutes
Old 03-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

I'm not a drag racer. I have been looking into Nitto 555's. The tire has great reviews. Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Well, lateral grip and off-the-line grip are really two different directions.

Ideally:
Lateral grip ~ Soft compound with a stiff and low-profile sidewall
off-the-line grip ~ Soft compund with a flexable and high-profile sidewall

There is no great inbetween tire here folks, so I recommend you focus specifically on one area, or figure to compromise between the two for less than wonderful at both.

Bo... you are in Michigan, so I need to know if you will be driving these tires in the snow, ice or just VERY cold weather. I also need to know what tires you are running currently

Moon... what kind of grip are you looking to find? Lateral or off-the-line?

Jazzer... takin' on the BOTH yutes
More lateral than. I do not drive it in the snow or ice. I rarely drive when its too cold (knowing my tires have no grip) right now i have sumi htr z 3's
Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Moonshine
I'm not a drag racer. I have been looking into Nitto 555's. The tire has great reviews. Thoughts?
NT555's are fine for a DD and offer good grip in general, but leans toward a longer-lasting performance tire. If you are looking for such a tire, than this will work well for you.

Originally Posted by bopiela
More lateral than. I do not drive it in the snow or ice. I rarely drive when its too cold (knowing my tires have no grip) right now i have sumi htr z 3's
I would not recommend the NT555's for you, as I think you need a different tire, as per your description here. If your current HTR Z's are far from your needs, I would point you toward an "R" comp. I could stop a bit short of this and recommend the Michelin PS2's. They are not an "R" comp, but are spectacular in the dry, once they are warmed up. Prior to warming up, they are somewhere between granite and marble on the street. Once they hit the sweet-spot in temps, they have wonderful latteral grip. Sidewalls are too stiff to get a whole lot off the line, but 'tis the needs to which you subscribe

Jazzer
Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
NT555's are fine for a DD and offer good grip in general, but leans toward a longer-lasting performance tire. If you are looking for such a tire, than this will work well for you.

I would not recommend the NT555's for you, as I think you need a different tire, as per your description here. If your current HTR Z's are far from your needs, I would point you toward an "R" comp. I could stop a bit short of this and recommend the Michelin PS2's. They are not an "R" comp, but are spectacular in the dry, once they are warmed up. Prior to warming up, they are somewhere between granite and marble on the street. Once they hit the sweet-spot in temps, they have wonderful latteral grip. Sidewalls are too stiff to get a whole lot off the line, but 'tis the needs to which you subscribe

Jazzer
So any R comp tire? Or are there specific ones? I don't know that I like the cold temp of the PS2s from what you say. I don't always drive for long times, and that might leave me with crappy grip for majority of my driving....

Quick Reply: Jazzer the expert.....