Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Snow Tires and chain clearance questions - 2011 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 03:51 PM
DSOReilly

Default Snow Tires and chain clearance questions - 2011 coupe

Car comes with 215 / 65 R17 tires. Went looking for snow tires and the tire dealer says they don't make them. Figured I'd go the chain route but the owner's manual says to use them only on 225 / 60 R17 tires. So ... I ASSume that it is ok to put 225 / 60 R17 tires on even though they weren't listed.

Looked at TireRack and see a bunch listed, but all say mount in set of 4. This is getting expensive. I am on fixed income and need a reasonable solution for Dec - Mar. I've had many many cars with normal tires on the front and heavy snows on the rear. Am I missing something here?

Assuming it is ok to use something like the Firestone Winterforce tire, without having them studded, on just the rear with normal OEM tires on the front, is there a problem with having 215 / 65s on front and 225 / 60s on rear?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I feel it is best to drive in such conditions with a full-set of 4 snow tires...

Reasons being, you don't only need to get grip in which to apply throttle, but you need to turn and stop, as well. You may bet away with rears only, but don't forget to consider the value of your '11 stang! I'm sure it is recommended to run a 225/60/17" tire with chains, because it is going to be an extra 1/2" clearance offered by the lower profile tire. This will help to clear the chains/cables from your fenders. Truth be told, the S197 Mustang ('05+ model years) have lots of clearance around the fenders and cannot imagine not being able to run chains on your current tires and fail to have clearance.

I have not driven in the snow for many, many years, but installing/running chains.... SUCKS! My recommendation is to cut cost-corners wherever possible and find a way to afford a full-set of snow tires, so that you are less likely to have traction issues and possibly damage your car

Jazzer
Old 11-27-2011, 01:05 PM
DSOReilly

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
... My recommendation is to cut cost-corners wherever possible and find a way to afford a full-set of snow tires, so that you are less likely to have traction issues and possibly damage your car

Jazzer
I hear you, but ... we live on fixed income (which is why I have a base line coupe instead of a GT) and you are talking some significant cash. 4 tires plus mounting and balancing twice a year for a "maybe" need. I've got good Michelins on the car now and they are supposedly all season radials, but when I look at the tread pattern I don't have much confidence in their ability to handle our gravel road when it gets covered with snow and ice. I'm ok at home as we do have a Jeep as well, 4x4 with good tires and chains, but I hate to drive that to PA and if we get caught up there in a storm in the Mustang it could be bad. A reasonable compromise seemed to me to have a set of cable chains just in case ... until I saw that Ford specifically says not on 215 / 65 tires. They may be over cautious but I just don't want to risk it. So, I'm still looking for that reasonable compromise.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Well.... sounds like you are planning to remove your existing tires and swap with a set of snow tires and do this two times during the year?

If this is the case, I would look to classifieds and such in your area for a set of junk wheels with snow tires already on them, or install a pair. I realize this is more money up front, but I am willing to bet someone has a set of wheels for sale that will fit your car.

You have a 5x4.5" (5x114.3") bolt pattern with a 28" diameter tire to be OEM specs. Your car will easily run a 7" or 8" wheel with a +30mm off-set or 5.75" back-space. I would recommend you look to find a second set of wheels and bet you could get a set for cheap, if you look around a bit! Probably been in somebody's garage for a few years and just ready to make $50 on a sale to you

Jazzer
Old 11-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Luke@tirerack
1st Gear Member

It is imperative to keep the same level of traction at all four corners of the car; otherwise, the full benefits of ABS or traction control systems will be lost.

So when you put winter / snow tires on your vehicle, always put them on in a set of four. If you were to put winter / snow tires on only the front or rear of your vehicle, you would create a vehicle with a split personality. The traction capabilities of the tires on a vehicle play the largest single role in determining how that vehicle will react in any given situation. And with the great difference in traction capabilities between winter / snow tires and all-season or high performance tires, you can understand the loss of control when one end of the car performs very well and the other end just seems to have a mind of its own.

By installing four winter / snow tires, you maintain the most balanced and controlled handling possible in all winter driving conditions.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I forgot about the ABS/Trac-Control functions and The Lukester is right

Jazzer & Luke on the case
Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 PM
DSOReilly

I hear you. Was at Ford yesterday and decided to pass on the two tire approach.

I have been driving for more than 50 years, almost all in the Philadelphia area with reasonable amount of snow each year. Each year we would put heavy lugged snow tires on the rear and leave normal tires on the front. Never had the problems that you describe, but we did not have ABS or traction control either. There seems to be a concensus that two on the rear is not the way to go. That means that I leave the Mustang with the four Michelin M+S year round tires on it and leave it parked when it snows more than a dusting. ... and keep an eye out for a set of 4 more snow friendly tires on sale on a set of wheels in my local trade sheet.

Thanks for your advice and comments.

- J
Old 12-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Luke@tirerack
1st Gear Member

back in the day winter tires were nothing more than an aggressive tread design. In today's tires the compound, construction and design are completely different
Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 PM
DSOReilly

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
back in the day winter tires were nothing more than an aggressive tread design. In today's tires the compound, construction and design are completely different
This makes a lot of sense. I spent 20 years in south Florida so I did not keep up with the technological advances, both in traction control and in tire construction. For the last 10 in western NC I have had 4 wheel drive trucks and always matched 4 as a result. This is my first venture back into a "normal" car that might have to go into snow in a long time. Thanks for taking the time to offer your insights. I'll stick with 4.

- Jay
Old 12-07-2011, 01:42 PM
DSOReilly

Default 2011 V6 - Chain clearance

I had another thread concerning snow tires, and the conclusion was whatever is done should be done in a sert of 4. I am convinced that is the correct approach. I do not plan on driving "the baby" in snow as we do have a 4x4 Jeep as well. And the tires that are on it (OEM) say M+S on the sidewalls and have good tread remaining. However, just in case, I'd like to have a set of cable chains in the trunk. Here is the problem, and question ...

2011 V6 coupe OEM tires are 215 / 65 R17. The owners manual specifically says that chains should ONLY be used on tires that are 225 / 60 R17. Since the owner's manual covers GTs as well, I assume that it is saying don't use chains on tires that are on 18 - 19 - 20 inch rims. However they don't say that, they specifically say only on 225 / 60 R17.

The "approved" tire is actually wider than my OEM tire so my initial thought was that I would be fine. However, multiplying 215 by .65 and 225 by .60 shows that the OEM tire is 4.75 mm taller. Would that be enough to cause clearance problems?

I've talked to my dealer who sent me to 1-800-FORD who sent me back to the dealer who sent me back to customer service ... who is supposed to get back to me. Anyone out there know?

Thanks - Jay

Quick Reply: Snow Tires and chain clearance questions - 2011 coupe