Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

New edge tire fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The amount you plan to lower will not be an issue at all

If you have ABS brakes, and some New Edge rides don't, you want to keep the tires as close to equal diameter, between front/back as you can. There can be up to about 1" and then the ABS system will start to bark at you and trigger too early. I like to see them be no more than 1/2" difference.

I also like to see you run a 35 series tire, in the sizes mentioned for an 18" wheel. Running a 40 series will give you 1/2" less clearance around the wheel wells and an equal amount of additional lift. So, your 1.6" drop, will ultimately be only 1.1". This will also effectively "up" your gearing a small amount and create some inaccuracy in the speedo/ODO that would need to be addressed via hand-held tuner. Not a big deal, but I always recommend to stay OEM tire diameter, except in some rare occasions and this doesn't qualify.

Jazzer
Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
The amount you plan to lower will not be an issue at all

If you have ABS brakes, and some New Edge rides don't, you want to keep the tires as close to equal diameter, between front/back as you can. There can be up to about 1" and then the ABS system will start to bark at you and trigger too early. I like to see them be no more than 1/2" difference.

I also like to see you run a 35 series tire, in the sizes mentioned for an 18" wheel. Running a 40 series will give you 1/2" less clearance around the wheel wells and an equal amount of additional lift. So, your 1.6" drop, will ultimately be only 1.1". This will also effectively "up" your gearing a small amount and create some inaccuracy in the speedo/ODO that would need to be addressed via hand-held tuner. Not a big deal, but I always recommend to stay OEM tire diameter, except in some rare occasions and this doesn't qualify.

Jazzer
I see...but im talking about going 17x9's all the way around now. So up front im looking at 255/40-17's and in the rear im thinking either 275/40-17 or 265/40-17's. The 18" are too cost prohibitive at this point, and to be honest, the wheel diameter will be essentially the same(total wheel), so I cannot see paying for the the 18" wheel Vs the 17" wheel. And I think 17x9's will give me fairly decent meats all around...I think...
Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK... I missed where you opted for the 17" option

17"s will be less expensive tires than 18"s, nearly 100% of the time. Not quite as many options for higher performance tires, but not a big problem. If you're looking for better grip in the twisties, as mentioned in your original post, I would avoid the 275's, regardless of front or back. I would stick with the 255's all around, but certainly not more than 265's. If you would like the ability to rotate your tires, you should stick with the same tire all around anyway. I think that rotating is over-rated, but just my opinion.

Jazzer
Old 01-26-2012, 05:10 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Ok, So what do you think about these all the way around? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ECDW&tab=Sizes

Will these look ok? Will they look wider? I want them to have a wider "look" but function better.....And overall how do think they will look slung under the car? Or would 18's look better?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Those darn super-long links don't work I have to use my mad-mod powers again to extract it from your post!

I don't see those as exceptional in either corners or straight line, but you must be considering your weather, huh? Will you be driving these tires year round and will they see snow in Nebraska, or do you park it over Winter?

Jazzer
Old 01-28-2012, 08:44 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

My apologies for the links. I dont know why they dont work. Car is parked during the winter. May rarely see rain...not if I can help it though. May be driven in the cold on occasion...but again, not long distance. once the salt goes down car goes to sleep!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

It is not your fault, just that the site tries to "compact" the links to save room. Here it is, but without the "http", so it does not compact it:

****://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&drKey=15&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fmustangf orums.com%2Fforum%2Fwheels-and-tires-brought-to-you-by-tire-rack%2F662287-new-edge-tire-fitment.html&v=1&libid=1327844236816&out=http%3A%2 F%2Fwww.tirerack.com%2Ftires%2Ftires.jsp%3FtireMak e%3DContinental%26tireModel%3DExtremeContact%2BDW% 26sidewall%3DBlackwall%26partnum%3D54WR7ECDW%26tab %3DSizes&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fmustangforums.com%2Fforu m%2Fwheels-and-tires-brought-to-you-by-tire-rack-75%2F%3Fpp%3D20%26sort%3Ddateline%26order%3Ddesc%2 6daysprune%3D-1&title=New%20edge%20tire%20fitment%3F%20-%20MustangForums.com&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tirerack .com%2Ftires%2Ftires....ECDW%26amp%3Btab%3DSizes&j sonp=vglnk_jsonp_13278444375191
If you DON'T drive your car in the snow, or harsh weather, I'd recommend you look more to a Summer performance tire. The Continental ExtremeContact is a nice tire, but can do much better in the corners. You will just need to warm the tires up a bit longer in cold weather, before they really begin to establish grip, in most cases.

You are looking to run 17"x9" wheels all around and a 255~265 width, as I recall... correct?

What is your budget here?

Jazzer

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 01-29-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:22 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Thats correct, im leaning in that direction. My realistic budget is not much more than 1500. Thats why, since visually there isnt much difference I figured Id stick with 17". I kinda thought the Continentals were a summer tire, and They are Y rated...I sure dont think ill be seeing speeds to justify a Z rated tire, lol. What do you recommend?
Old 01-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

A "Z" rated tire, is just made for a faster rotational speed and not really indicative of grip. My recommendation is to contact Luke and ask him to make you up a deal of the wheels with a set of tires and ask for him to make a recommendation for tires, based on your needs in grip.

I can tell you right now, you will use 100% of your budget, and then some, to get near your goal of good all-around grip.

Jazzer

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 01-29-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:30 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I kinda figured as much budgetwise. My main issue is I have had blizzaks on there since I bought it last april, and i wanna get rid of them...So I thought maybe I would just go all the way and get new wheels and tires all around. Well, I think I am just gonna replace my rears with something here locally that are better and work onsome of my other mods first. After all, it isnt a track car, and Ill just set aside a nice 2000 bucks over time and go that route. I emailed Luke last week and havent heard anything from him at all, so im not gonna keep barking up that tree. They clearly didnt need my sale anyway.

Quick Reply: New edge tire fitment?