Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Are 275/35/18's too wide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK... if you are running a 9" wheel, no mater the make/model... a 275 is max! Regardless of spirited or otherwise, over-sized tire for a wheel will offer you zero additional grip and only lead to less than ideal tire wear. Any spirited driving is even worse, so would go narrower, not wider.

I don't like the idea of different tires between front/rear. I think the grip provided by both sides of the car, should be equal, with respect to the compound. Besides, the Invo will offer better lateral grip over the 555's and neither are really an off-the-line type tire.

What is the primary use for your car? You're not going to the track (do you mean strip?), as the track refers to a closed course for lap driving. As you have probably seem me say on here and in the early part of my Choosing a new tire thread...

Tires should be chosen by the needs of the driver, but decided by the budget... what are they?

Jazzer
Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
OK... if you are running a 9" wheel, no mater the make/model... a 275 is max! Regardless of spirited or otherwise, over-sized tire for a wheel will offer you zero additional grip and only lead to less than ideal tire wear. Any spirited driving is even worse, so would go narrower, not wider.

I don't like the idea of different tires between front/rear. I think the grip provided by both sides of the car, should be equal, with respect to the compound. Besides, the Invo will offer better lateral grip over the 555's and neither are really an off-the-line type tire.

What is the primary use for your car? You're not going to the track (do you mean strip?), as the track refers to a closed course for lap driving. As you have probably seem me say on here and in the early part of my Choosing a new tire thread...

Tires should be chosen by the needs of the driver, but decided by the budget... what are they?

Jazzer
I fear you may have misread my previous post. Let me clarify....

Im looking at the staggered kit, so 18x9 for the front and 18x10 in the back. AM sells this staggered kit with 275's on the front (18x9) and 285 on the rear (18x10). I am ok with the rear set up, but I DO fear the 275's will rub up front AND be to large for the 18x9 rims. So we are 100% simpatico on this. So my idea is to run a 265 on the front instead of the combo's original 275's thereby making the tire fit the wheel better and hoping for less chance of rubbing at the same time. I have to say, American Muscle's tire selection is rather limited as far as tires go.

As far as my car goes, its a summer only ride, and no track time means no closed courses or drag strips of any kind. Street only. It is just my weekend ride to enjoy, garaged in the winter and my project.

As for the budget, im saving up slowly and wanting to explore my options. The tires I want are the continental extreme contact DW, but they are so expensive I may not have the money for those and wheels till next year, and the tires are rubbish on my car all the way around now. ( I bought from previous owner with snow tires!) So you see my dilemma. I dont want to spend the money twice, because I want 18's(for looks) as well if you know what i mean.

Thanks Jazzer!!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Yes.... I did miss that

I like the 265's up front and 285's out back are great for a 10" wheel. If your car is ONLY nice weather and NO snow/ice conditions, why not go with a set of 555's all the way around? They are a fine tire, sure within your budget and happen to be a site sponsor as well

Jazzer
Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'm a big fan of 265/35 on front 18x9 rims. That's what I have run on my past couple of set ups and have had no issues.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:10 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

I think I will got that route then. My issue was AM didnt list them as a tire size for my car. I found them in the 94-98 section though, so I know they sell them now, lol. When I have the $$ im gonna go that way. Thanks!