Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Lug Nuts Coming Loose

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 PM
sheila95

Default Lug Nuts Coming Loose

Hey everyone! I was wondering if someone could give me some advice regarding my lug nuts...I own a 95 Mustang and have had this car for 5 years (new tires 3 years ago) and never had a problem with the lug nuts. However, last Monday I was driving and all 5 lug nuts on my front drivers side came off, along with the tire. A few weeks before I had one lug nut missing on my front passenger side but just thought it was a one time thing. I have not had any tire work done recently and after Mondays incident I thought someone was trying to kill me. So I went and bought new lug nuts, having 2 of those locking ones installed one each tire (sorry I'm a girl and not sure if that's what those lug nuts are called lol). I hoped that would fix the problem, but it didn't. I had my lug nuts checked tonight and all of them were loose on all 4 tires!! Even the locking ones!!! Someone else has been driving my car so it hasn't been sitting at my college campus which was where I thought someone had loosened the drivers side ones in the first incident but now I know that's not the case. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this????
Old 11-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

WOW... scary stuff!

My first guess is that someone may be messing with you, but obviously in a VERY dangerous way. I know that brand new wheels will need a bit of re-torquing after a bit of time, due to the compression of mating surface, but outright loose....?

Do your wheels happen to be BRAND new or is it possible that the installer did not tightend the new lugs sufficiently? Is it possible you have a messed up ex looking to hurt you?

Jazzer welcomes Sheila* to MF's

*also hopes some a-hole is not messing with her!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 AM
sheila95

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
WOW... scary stuff!

My first guess is that someone may be messing with you, but obviously in a VERY dangerous way. I know that brand new wheels will need a bit of re-torquing after a bit of time, due to the compression of mating surface, but outright loose....?

Do your wheels happen to be BRAND new or is it possible that the installer did not tightend the new lugs sufficiently? Is it possible you have a messed up ex looking to hurt you?

Jazzer welcomes Sheila* to MF's

*also hopes some a-hole is not messing with her!
Thanks for replying!! My wheels aren't brand new and I'm positive my lug nuts were tightened sufficiently because my dad put them on for me and he's worked on cars for decades and this even has him baffled. It could be an ex...but the lug nuts came loose again when my dad had been driving my car and I wouldn't think they would be so stupid as to mess with my car when it's sitting at his place of employment, but I guess you never know. I'm wondering if maybe something is just going bad on my car that's causing them to just come loose after so many miles are driven? I really appreciate your reply, thank you
Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You're welcome

I don't have an explanation either and why I posed the possibility of an ex. I am wondering if they may not be the right design for the wheels...? I would expect your Dad to know this, but is it possible he is using old style Crager lugs and your wheels require 60* conical type?

Possibly a fitment issue of the wheel flange on to the hubs/axles, but on all four wheels would be crazy at best. Possibly VERY cheap lugs that have poor metallurgy and don't hold torque is probably the best guess.

My recommendation would be to get a new set of lugs and really like Gorilla Lugs. I have been using them for well over 25 years and are fantastic. They lock at every stud and look good too. I purchased a set of 25, so I have extras.

****THIS**** ****THIS****
is the set I purchased and quite a good deal

Jazzer
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Dylanjunk
2nd Gear Member

It may be because of the lug clips if they are new wheels. I'm not sure if the 95 has the clips or not, but if it does check the back of your wheels to make sure it has a ring milled for the clips. If not then simply remove the clips using wire cutters or needle nose pliars.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

It could be lugnuts or possibly elongated holes due to running with loose lugnuts if the problem was only on one wheel. It sounds like someone is messing around with your car if you are experiencing this on all 4 wheels.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 12-03-2012 at 09:35 PM.