Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Bent Rims, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Default Bent Rims, Please Help!

So, I find out today that my driver's front AND back rims are bent. This agitates the hell out of me because I have had a lot of suspension work done on my car recently and I was never told this. They also told me that one of my lug nuts was about to fall off, and the last person to touch them was a shop in Austin about a month ago. I have never done anything stupid in my car to cause this, so it must be from the previous owner.

My only questions are:
I'm driving to Austin tonight. I've driven this car to Austin maybe 3 times in this condition, but now that I know what the problem is, is it safe?

Also, they said it'd be $150 a rim to fix. It sounds reasonable, but is this a standard price?

Good news is, at least now I know why my steering wheel is shaky, I've already replaced 4 different things to try and fix this problem. I just wish they would have told me MONTHS AGO so I wouldn't have had to disassemble and reassemble my entire suspension and spend almost half a grand in parts and realignments!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Just because you had suspension work done doesn't mean they would check the rims for truness. Unless that suspension work also included wheel/tires being balanced they're not in the same category.

Anyways, sucks about the wheel lug though. I always check my fluids before I leave a shop (if they've performed oil/lube service) and my lugs as soon as I get home if they've touched them. Too many ding-dong mechanics that don't pay attention to little details.

As for the cost to fix the rim, it depends on several factors including type of material the rim is made out of, how bad the damage is and the type of finish the rim has on it.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:56 PM
mfergel
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, close to standard price from what I've seen. I paid $125 once to have one straightened. On the back, I don't think it's as big a deal. Think it could screw up the tie rod ends up fron in the long run though.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfergel
Yeah, close to standard price from what I've seen. I paid $125 once to have one straightened. On the back, I don't think it's as big a deal. Think it could screw up the tie rod ends up fron in the long run though.
Luckily that's one of the things I just replaced lol Thanks man I appreciate the input
Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Just because you had suspension work done doesn't mean they would check the rims for truness. Unless that suspension work also included wheel/tires being balanced they're not in the same category.

Anyways, sucks about the wheel lug though. I always check my fluids before I leave a shop (if they've performed oil/lube service) and my lugs as soon as I get home if they've touched them. Too many ding-dong mechanics that don't pay attention to little details.

As for the cost to fix the rim, it depends on several factors including type of material the rim is made out of, how bad the damage is and the type of finish the rim has on it.
I suppose you're right.

Yeah that sounds like a good habit I should start doing. I've heard too many stories of peoples wheels falling off on their way home from the shop.

Well, my rims and Lorenzo WL28's, I've been looking around for the specific details on the rims but I can't tell you exactly what kind of material or finish is on it. About all I know is that they're black.