Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

93 GT - FR500 Wheels - 5-lug conversion advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Jville808
1st Gear Member

Default 93 GT - FR500 Wheels - 5-lug conversion advice

I know this topic has probably been beat to death. I've done searches on this forum and all the other Mustang forums, and this might be a case of TOO many hits on the topic. Found a ton of info, but not much definitive.

Here's the deal. I'm sold on the FR500's for my GT. 17x9's on the front, 17x10.5 on the rear. I thought it'd be as simple as ordering a five-lug conversion from LMR, bolt it all on and good to go. Obviously it's not that simple. I need to know the easiest route to make it happen. I'm looking to upgrade the brakes at the same time. I've searched the web, made phone calls and so far have only got one response that seemed "definitive" and meets the "easy" part, but it's super expensive.

I spoke with someone from LMR who said I could get the SVE 5-Lug Conversion Kit ($2,459.99) minus the spindles (for a discount). I'd then have to find spindles off a 94-95 sn95, and I'd be able to run the wheels.

Does this sound right? Like I said, it's the simplest way to run the wheels, but expensive. Do I have any other options that doesn't involve a scavenger hunt for individual pieces?

Also, I've read that I'll need to roll my fenders. Is it just the rear? How does that work with the GT ground effects? I obviously can't roll the fenders all the way around. Is it possible to just roll some of the fender lip? Also saw a mention of getting rid of the quad shocks or flipping them. Do they get removed or flipped? Do I have to upgrade the suspension somehow to make up for not having shocks if they need removed?

Sorry for all the questions on a topic that probably pops up once a month. I'm ready to buy the wheels and held up by the confusion. I'm mechanically inclined but by no means a car expert/mechanic hence the need for something easy.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Jville808
1st Gear Member

anybody?

I just came across this on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120990771582...84.m1423.l2649

much cheaper. obviously lesser quality and/or used parts vs new but how does it compare. anybody go this route?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You have a couple issues here with which to address...

The first is going to be off-set location will change with the conversion, but the spindles will move you in a "positive" direction and what you will need. The second is a real tight fit and may still have some rubbing even if you run 245's (f) and 275's (r).

15"x10" rims on a Fox Body is a thread on the installation of 10" wheels on a Fox, but only addresses issues of clearance, as this particular car is still has a 4-lug wheel. The issues of off-set/back-space are going to be VERY important here and the conversion kit you linked is probably going to be the way to go.

What width of tire do you plan to run?

Jazzer
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Jville808
1st Gear Member

Since this posting I've gone ahead and purchased a complete sn-95 Cobra setup from Mps Auto Salvage. Mostly used stuff...some new (like e-brake cables, brake pads etc.). Everything looks REALLY good considering. With the exception of a little rust on the axles and the master cylinder, this stuff doesn't look at all like it came from a junkyard. It included the 94-95 spindles. I did a ton of research, and to run those wheels my options were basically go on a scavenger hunt for parts, buy the $2500 SVE Cobra kit from LMR PLUS 94-95 spindles or this kit which has everything for just over $1200. I plan to roll the rear fenders. I also picked up some balljoint spacers. I'm hearing I might need to drop a little more dime into it to get it right though. North Racecars has fox-length rear axles & brackets. I'll be running 10.5's in the rear, so the sn-95 axles might make them stick out more than I want. Does this sound about right or will I be OK with the sn-95 rear axles?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I have VERY limited knowledge on the conversion, just know that a 10.5" wheel is gonna be tight on a Fox Body. You will most certainly need to roll the rear fenders and particularly if you want to run anything over a 275 out back. As for up front, a 245 will fit fine without rolling the front fenders, but the off-set is gonna have to be right on for both ends regardless.

As for upgrade of brakes, unless you MUST go with an SVE Cobra caliper, I would not recommend you spend the extra money on them, if you can avoid it. Take a look at the brakes upgrade thread in my sig and just spend a few hundred $$$ for just as much braking as that kit and much easier on the wallet.

What are the EXACT size of tires you plan to run on these wheels?

Jazzer
Old 02-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Jville808
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. Brakes and all that have already been bought and delivered, just waiting on install. At the very least, it'll look darn good behind those wheels. The FR500 combo I'm looking at has Nitto 275/40/17 on the front and 315/35/17 on the back. Gonna be tight I know. At this point I'm starting to worry more about front clearance issues.