Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

2k1 Vert - Looking at inexpensive options

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Default 2k1 Vert - Looking at inexpensive options

I took a look through the list Luke put together and is stickied here called Which tires are best and I am leaning towards the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport.

I know I need tires b/c the tread depth is getting close to nil but after washing the car week before last I found this which runs around 3/4 of the wall of the tire (These are Goodyear tires):

I'm curious if anyone here is running these or if Luke could further elaborate on why that tire was chosen. I've always been a Michelin guy and while I just can't spring for those right now the BFGs are a good option to me. This will be the first time I've considered buying tires from Tire Rack and while the tire prices are great the cost to get them shipped and installed possibly puts them out of the price of what I could get locally so I'm curious what other's experiences are with Tire Rack and why you didn't purchase locally.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Tires should be chosen by the needs of the driver, yet decided by the budget... what are they?

Inexpensive is nice, but you must have a tire that offers the grip you need for your style of driving. Do you...

Like to take corners?
Like to get off the line quickly?
Drive in heavy wet?
Drive in snow?
Have any added HP or go-fast mods?
Will you be driving these tires year round?
If so, what type of Winters to you have?

Jazzer
Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Luke@tirerack
1st Gear Member

my lists are based strictly on tire performance ... cost, tread life and ride quality are not factored into my "Which are best" lists
Old 05-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat

Like to take corners? - As fast as possible
Like to get off the line quickly? - Who doesn't?
Drive in heavy wet? - No
Drive in snow? - No
Have any added HP or go-fast mods? - No
Will you be driving these tires year round? - No
If so, what type of Winters to you have?

Jazzer
That being said, this is strictly a pleasure vehicle with $190k miles on it so I don't do anything too rough with it. I do plan many mods for this car but have some maintenance items to take care of first. We only will drive this in the warmer months (SC) when we can ride with the top down. I'm usually much pickier about tires but in this case I'm trying for a compromise b/w cost and quality more than anything else.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
my lists are based strictly on tire performance ... cost, tread life and ride quality are not factored into my "Which are best" lists
Is there any method to the order which a tire falls in the list? Meaning is 1 better than 5 or is that just in the order you typed them out?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
That being said, this is strictly a pleasure vehicle with $190k miles on it so I don't do anything too rough with it. I do plan many mods for this car but have some maintenance items to take care of first. We only will drive this in the warmer months (SC) when we can ride with the top down. I'm usually much pickier about tires but in this case I'm trying for a compromise b/w cost and quality more than anything else.
Just make sure whatever tire you get, it suits your needs well. There will be no value in a tire that compromises necessary grip, for a lesser cost.

Good luck!

Jazzer
Old 05-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Just make sure whatever tire you get, it suits your needs well. There will be no value in a tire that compromises necessary grip, for a lesser cost.

Good luck!

Jazzer
Looking at the reviews the tires are pretty sticky, I found a decent third party review. I'm pretty excited about getting these put on the car, should be on there by Friday. I appreciate your feedback Jazzer.