Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:21 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Default winter tires

I guess its about time to start thinking about what to do for the winter months here in NW Ohio. I know the stock tires won't suffice since I have a 20 mile drive to work. I have an extra set of wheels and tires from the first Genesis Coupe I had (225-45-18 front and 245-45-18 rear). I think they will fit correct? If so I have a decent set of Conti. DWS on the rear that I used for a season and a half or so (can still read the DWS letters), but the fronts are stock tires that are about shot. So I could either get some DWS for the fronts or replace all four with dedicated winter tires like Dunlop Winter Maxx. I'm thinking I should do the snow's since I don't want to slide of the road like I did with the Hyundai last winter. Sound like plan?
Old 09-05-2014, 07:01 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I drive my 2012 all year long, this is part of the reason I have the 3.7 with a manual. The GT has a lot more torque and is much harder to manage in snow and ice. I chose the manual partly so I can short shift and stay out of the power band. The 3.7 is nearly the same weight on the front and rear (1820 /1810) . I use the factory 17" rims that are 7.75 inches wide with Michelin snow and ice tires for the winter. Wider tires, way more torque, 150 lbs more weight in the front- you may have your hands full.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Man, I hope not! I did some searching back before I bought it and most of the guys said it wouldn't be too bad as long as you got some decent tires and drove carefully. I don't think torque will be an issue as long as you don't hammer it. I plan on putting a couple bags of sand in the trunk too.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'd go with the narrowest tires that will fit your rims, and the best tires you can afford on all 4 wheels. I can drive about 45 mph in 4 inches of snow with good control, worst trip was returning from MO in winter during freezing rain. I could keep a steady 50 mph, felt like I was driving on marbles, not fun since it's 530 miles!

Old 09-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

I have yet to test fit my 18" Hyundai wheels, but guess I better get to it before it gets colder. btw, 17" wheels won't fit correct? It looks like there would be room over the brakes and they fit on the Genesis, but could I don't know?
Old 09-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Don't know, the brakes on the GT are bigger than mine.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I'll probably just stay with the 18's since I have that extra set. I found some blizzak WS70 on sale right now, but the aspect ratio is 55 instead of 45. I'm not sure if that would work or not? I'm thinking it would as long as I went up for the rear set also and going bigger would give you better bite from what I've heard. I'm also wondering if I could go 235 instead of 245 that it came with on the rear on my second set?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:51 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Man, it looks like my extra set may not work according to a guy at tire rack as they are 1" shorter and .5" narrower (I'm assuming he's talking about the fronts). He said I would run the risk of overworking the tires and that they may rub on the brakes or fenders and could lead to a blowout, but could try them if I want. I guess I could test fit them. I'm thinking maybe the rears will still be okay though.

I don't know. I could try to sell them (but that may be hard to find somebody local) and then either get a wheel/combo set for the winter or just switch tires every season, but I really don't want to do that and risk scratching the rims not to mention the expense every time.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Anybody? One other idea is to look for a beater for the winter. I only have about 700 to spend right now, but if I could sell the wheels for say 500-800 that would give me 1200-1500 or so. Although I would want something reliable with good tires preferably awd. I realize its probably a long shot at that price point and then I would have to find a place to store the stang and get insurance for another car.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Well, I tested my Hyundai wheels and they don't fit. So I'm thinking my best bet is to try to sell them and get a set of dedicated wheels and tires for winter. I found some Cooper Weather-Master WSC tires for 138 each and Maxxim Sixx black wheels for 109 at Tread Depot. They will even mount them free, but I will have to pay shipping. I guess that's not too bad of a deal. I'll just have to contact them first to make sure everything will fit. Anyone have experience with these tires or any place else to check for a lower price.

Quick Reply: winter tires