Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Are Mustangs hard on tires and brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 10:48 PM
lwoudstra

Default Are Mustangs hard on tires and brakes?

I have a 2010 Mustang. I work in town, so I drive less than 7K miles a year. My car has less than 25K miles on it, but I just replaced all 4 tires and back brakes needed new pads and machining of the rotor. I have Perellis. Shouldn't the tires and brakes last at least 50K-60K miles? Are Mustangs generally rough on tires and brakes?
Old 03-28-2015, 11:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The stock all season pirellies suck. You are lucky you got 25k on them. I only got 20k when my car was new.

The rear brakes is an odd one... You may want to check to see if the rear brakes are dragging or if the parking brake is not adjusted correctly. Generally speaking the rear brakes should last twice as long as the front ones.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:13 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the driver is hard on tires and brakes, lol
Old 03-29-2015, 07:37 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Ive had 24 tirsd and on my 4th set of pads, with 64k.............

OE tires, track tires, drag tires, snow tires, you get where Im going, lol. Drivers choice

Last edited by Stoenr; 03-29-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:26 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lwoudstra
I have a 2010 Mustang. I work in town, so I drive less than 7K miles a year. My car has less than 25K miles on it, but I just replaced all 4 tires and back brakes needed new pads and machining of the rotor. I have Perellis. Shouldn't the tires and brakes last at least 50K-60K miles? Are Mustangs generally rough on tires and brakes?
I wouldn't ever count on getting 50k miles out of any tires on any car. Wouldn't even want to be able to, as it would mean that the tires sacrificed too much grip to get that many miles. Over the years, I've consistently found that about one time per set of tires there has been a situation where I needed every last bit of grip possible. File that under "it'd be too late to change my mind if I'd picked a tire for long life instead" . . .

Rear brake pads on many new RWD cars can wear out faster than the front tires if either traction control or stability control is stepping in. Those systems use the rear brakes as part of their vehicle control strategy.

Norm
Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 AM
lwoudstra

Thank you, Norm. That was helpful. ☺️
Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 AM
lwoudstra

Thank you. I'll ask about the parking brake adjustment.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I may be the wrong person to ask about P-brake adjusting. I'm probably what some would call a "flatlander" - so I rarely have any need to use the P-brake on any car (and generally don't). Consequently, I almost never have to adjust any of them. But I do have the shop manual for my 2008 on CD-ROM which gives the procedure. A 2010 ought to be similar.

Norm
Old 03-30-2015, 11:24 AM
lwoudstra

I don't think anyone has touched the parking brake since it rolled out of the factory. Neither my husband or myself are "handy." We have to trust others to our cars. We just drive. LOL
Old 03-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I wouldn't ever count on getting 50k miles out of any tires on any car. Wouldn't even want to be able to, as it would mean that the tires sacrificed too much grip to get that many miles. Over the years, I've consistently found that about one time per set of tires there has been a situation where I needed every last bit of grip possible. File that under "it'd be too late to change my mind if I'd picked a tire for long life instead" . . .

Rear brake pads on many new RWD cars can wear out faster than the front tires if either traction control or stability control is stepping in. Those systems use the rear brakes as part of their vehicle control strategy.

Norm
I've never seen rear brakes wear out faster than fronts, especially after only 25K....Tires I get and that's the trade off (better grip = fewer miles). It's just that for all seasons, 25K is a little unheard of for them.

Quick Reply: Are Mustangs hard on tires and brakes?