Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Continental TrueContact on New Edge V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:17 PM
ToastTheRabbit

Question Continental TrueContact on New Edge V6

This winter was........ terrifying. It doesnt help that I live on a hill in Colorado Springs (minor one) and have all 4 corners well through the wear bars. My valve stems have so much dry rot they leak heavily when I touch them (like pushing in the valve level leak)

It is now tire time.

I've settled on the TrueContact 225 60r16. I want to know if any members have these tires and what their experience is with them. I have a V6 so theres not enough power for any fun. Flooring it at this elevation yields take off performance somewhere akin to taking off in second at sea level. Even with my bald tires I cant get any tire spin. This is just a driver with maybe some aggressive cornering now and then.

If you can, how is the overall ride, cornering, winter performance etc. I tried to search the forums, no results so if this has been talked about, I beg forgiveness.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:12 PM
ToastTheRabbit

So, going to keep this updated when I think about it.

Bought the tires, $492 at Big O. These tires are highly rated on Tire Rack.

10 miles on them (sorry I work from home, rather fond of vodka and when I go out with friends we use their car since it fits more than 2 people so I only average 10-20 miles a week) and I have to say, the tires are decent. Much nicer ride than what I had before. Goodyear Symetry and Goodyear LS. Much grippier on dry pavement. Less harsh over bumps as well. Not great on gravel and sand, but the last time I went off pavement I actually had offroad tires, I might have expectations at are a bit high.

The tires are rated at 90k miles, Extremly high winter ratings in light to deep snow (whcih we all have issues with) I cant determine the noise since my diff is on its way out I'm hounded by the grindies.

To be fair, all my old tires were rotted and bald.

I have the biggest paranoia about winter. I'm used to driving cars with posi from the 70's that really dont blink at inclimate weather. The mustang is a different beast in snow.

Hopefully will swap out the open diff for a posi later this summer when I address the leaky seals and the wheel bearing.

Anyhow. First impressions, worth the cost, will take it to a track day for some fun. I was looking at the Continental ExtremeContact DWS but honestly, these had a better overall rating and my roomie has those for his M3 and they kind of suck in snow and the ratings on Tire Rack kinda confirm my feelings. Cost was not an issue for my decision and still they were reasonably priced. Budget installed was about 6-700$ originally.

My car is stock, my high performance days are in my past. If your pony is just for cruising, This tire is awesome.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:30 PM
ToastTheRabbit

Took my first 100 mile drive. Drove from the Springs to Denver Airport. Surprisingly, These tires have eliminated the squirrely nature of the Stang. Hit several bumps and not one complaint. Quieter ride. Very grippy. MPG went up too, but wont know what it actually is until I get back home and top off and do the math, but overall.... I'd say this is a great tire.

I'd rate it top for an A/S so far. All of the reviews say it is amazing in the winter. I expect with a full tank of gas and some sand bags in the trunk, Winter will be a cake walk.