Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Choosing a new tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:13 AM
ruby40

245/40/18 & 275/40/18 are on there now. Due for a new set before the spring season and wasn't crazy about the way the 245/40 looked on the 18x9 front wheels. I can certainly use this size combo again but figured now would be the time to change it.

One of my main concerns is not having enough sidewall to absorb NJ/NY potholes and damaging rims. Seems to be more tire options with the 245/40, 275/40 sizes.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You will have no ABS sensor issues and offer better protection via same size tires at all four corners for sure. I think that any tire in a 40 series is gonna be fine, unless you have like 1' deep potholes

Jazzer
Old 03-13-2011, 09:53 PM
strokemy302

nice info. im a little add and im not sure if this helped with the problem im facing. but i was wondering if staggering treads was a good idea. i noticed that bfgoodrich makes two tires i really like, the kdw's and the drag radials. since they have similar treads do u think it would b a good idea to put the kdw's in the front and the drag radials in the back. i was going to wrap them around 10 and 9 inch wide 17's. safe or not?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am not a big fan of a "true" DR on a DD ride, as the sidewalls are not very supportive for cornering. Even if you don't corner aggressively, this can be an issue on a such a tire as an M/T DR. I would be willing to bet the BFG's are not soo soft as to create the issue I described here.

If the BFG is not a very soft sidewall like the M/T, I see no issue going with them out back, while the traditional up front. Just take your first few corners slowly to see how the respond to lateral loads. Slowly go a bit faster each time to see how they react in more aggressive turns, as you may not plan on one, but have to one day on the street.

Jazzer
Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 PM
strokemy302

u think a lower profile drag radial will solve that?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

A lower profile drag radial will defeat its purpose

The idea of a high-profile DR, is to have flexability in the sidewalls for the sling-shot effect upon launch. The shorter the sidewall, the less of this "rubber-band" reduces your effective grip off the line. This is why pepes typically go with a 15" wheel and squeeze a 28" tire under the rear end. This tire is great for launching, but can be horribly unstable on the street.

What are the chances you can get a set of such wheels/tires for track days? Every bit one reduces the sidewall, the less effective the tire. You may have to compromise to maintain only a single set of tires/wheels.

Jazzer
Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 AM
strokemy302

honestly, im just starting out. im 20 years old, and my dad thinks an 86 fuel injected is going to b a good starter, and im looking ahead for what im really going to do. i wasnt really sure about what tires to start out with, and i want it to look good, while performing great. i figured a radial would push it forward while some track tires would keep it on the road. i plan on getting 500 out of it one day so i think bringing tires into this was a good idea. i dont even have the car yet but its nice to think about. how much does ur saleen push? thx for posting on my other thread by the way.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I think you are wise to consider tires, as this is very nearly an afterthought by those looking to mod his/her ride. Usually, they are only considered after a boost of about 175 HP and current tires are bald. Then..... he/she wants... "the best set of tires I can find for $250, because I want to install a new set of cams before my next dyno trip" Brakes don't even get considered until they are squealing like a pig the same approach is applied to those as well.

Tires are the single most important item, next to the driver, keeping the car on the road!

There are plenty of good tires out there and a set of Nitto 555's will do most a good job at both grip and mileage. They will do fine in the wet, but need to drive more conservative in such conditions than most passenger tires. Go through the Choosing a new tire link at the first post of this thread. This is a nice way to narrow down choices and will find Tire Rack has some good prices on tires.

Jazzer

I am running a whopping 248 HP I have no interest in going high-speed, but I must admit that another 150 would be helpful on the AX course
Old 03-17-2011, 06:35 PM
strokemy302

yea, i just realized my car comes standard with 4 lugs and rear drums. i was considering about changing the axles and adding rear discs. dont they have larger axles to accommodate larger tires?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The axles don't have anything to do with larger tires, it is the fender wells that are your enemy here The off-set is a big one as well, but addressed with a 5 lug conversion.

If doing brakes, be SURE to check out my Brakes Upgrade thread, as it is a MUST DO for the Fox Body. The brakes outright SUCK on them and I know. I had an '85 for over 20 years and wish I knew then what I know now about brakes

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Choosing a new tire