Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Choosing a new tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:17 AM
strokemy302

http://www.stangtv.com/project-cars/...g-wheel-wells/
do u think this would b the best thing to fit some fat tires within a budget? i havent looked too much into the wells, but these tires they fit on here still just barely squeeze. makes it difficult to want bigger tires on here. what would happen if i just cut through the wells?
Old 03-19-2011, 01:31 AM
strokemy302

im also getting frustrated going back and forth from this thread to the other, so i was wondering what you thought about these fender wells. they say the front ones take 275 and actually dont look bad on the car, but then they put rear ones, and its sketching me out... im wondering if i dont put bigger fenders on the car and i dont fix the wells, (or fix the wells) my tires wont fit on the car. which would b in between 295's and 315's. but i can take 275's if i cant manage the wells/fenders...

this is a full fender upgrade, which is kindof growing on me...
http://www.maierracing.com/

and this is the picture i originally saw.
http://www.inertiasport.com/maier-ra...mustang-coupe/
Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You WON'T get a 295 up front, or a 315 out back without fender/tub work

I believe it is a 245 & 275 that essentially maxes out the Fox wheel wells witout any work and will find several threads on this subject with a search. I have a link ***HERE*** to one of them running 10"s, but a VERY tight fit. If you are willing to invest in the fender flare kit for your car, that would be pretty unique and the the envy of those other Fox's out there looking for meats

Jazzer

PS. Don't have a solution between going back/forth between threads. Just install a short-cut in your favorites and open both pages in different tabs.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:02 PM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Jazzer, first off great write-up. There's some great info there.

Second, I just want to make sure I'm looking at getting the right tire for my application. On my '07 GT I have a set of 18x9 and 18x10 wheels, with 255/45 up front and 275/40 in the rear. I am looking for a pair of Drag Radials for a second set of 18x10 wheels I have (I know, not ideal but they were free). Keep in mind I am pushing around 500HP to the wheels. I want a set of Drag Radials that will hook well at the track with my power output but also that don't end up breaking anything. The only thing I have upgraded in my drivetrain is my SPEC Stage 2+ clutch. A friend of mine suggested that a pair of 305/40 NT555Rs would do the job. I have see a lot of opinions online that support what my friend says, and others that completely bash that tire. What do you think? Also, is that tire too wide for my 10" wheel?

EDIT: Would it be better to go with a set of DRs that would fit my factory 17x8 wheels for the extra sidewall flexibility (not to mention MUCH cheaper tires)? If so, would 275/40 be better or 295/45? Wow, I'm asking a lot of questions...

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Last edited by SamsBlueGT; 03-28-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

'Tis true that grip is what break driveline parts, not HP/T. Sounds like you are aware of this and looking for a bit "less" grip to save your driveline. I understand your thinking, but you may end up frustrated with the end result. There is no definative line anyone can tell you at which the strain from traction will cause failure, but one only finds this line AFTER it is crossed. For your stated goals, you are going about this the right way, but I think that technique is going to win the day here. I only know the fundamentals of how to achieve improved gip, but not how to avoid the damage caused by it (other than the obvious)

1/4 mile is not my cup of tea, so all I can do is recommend you find someone who drinks it. There are TONS of people into this and will be able to help you understand the weakest part of the driveline and how to avoid breaking it. After all, ANY tire on the 1/4 mile can cause failure, as you are running at high revs with lots of adrenaline going and staring at the car in the opposite lane.

Jazzer is sorry he cannot be of more help
Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 AM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Hey that's quite alright man, I know that cornering grip is more your cup of tea I appreciate you trying to help and it feels better that I am thinking of the right things.

Speaking of which, I am wanting to attend a pro driving school at Summit Point, do you think my NT555s (non-DR) will give me good grip (they're the 255/45 and 275/40 combo I posted up top) for when I do that? I also plan on upgrading my stock shocks with FRPP ones to match my FRPP K springs. My 'Stang is 95% DD btw...
Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You can take your car to a driving event in such a tire and will be fine. In fact, I think it is BEST to take ones car to such a thing exactly as they are used to it. That is before too many mods and performance upgrades. Some mods, like suspension and very specific tires for the occasion, can allow one to learn bad habbits.

I have always said that EVERYONE who drives a car, reguardless of make/model, should hit up an HPDE at least once. Sooner or later, everyone that is on the road will find him/herself in a situation that puts the car sideways or all-of-a-sudden WAY too fast for circumstances. Maybe a car runs a red light or blows a stop sign. Maybe looses control via blow-out of tire and ends up swirving into your lane on the freeway. Knowing your car's, and more specifically, YOUR limits, can help you to possibly avoid an accident as you are aware that a car can be out of ones lane, but not necessarily out of control

.... just take a look at NASCAR drivers some time
Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah in my past I've had a few close calls to help convince me that better learning how to drive is a VERY beneficial thing, I even practiced power slides and controlling slides on dirt in my old Jeep to help me out. That made me better, but I definitely recognize that I'll further learn more with a proper HPDE. I've done that on my motorcycle and that education has been valuable. I probably will get the shocks first though since my stock shocks are very tired.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM
mustangfan06
IP Match to scammer

Nitto 555s or NT05s FTW!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

So yesterday I called Brenspeed and the guy suggested that if I wanted to run ET Streets I would need to upgrade my differential and axle shafts, as those two are my weakest links in my setup with the power I have (~500HP at the wheels). That said, I think I'm sold on the NT555Rs as the NT05Rs are similar to the ET Streets. The 555Rs will be my gateway tire, since they don't quite offer the grip of the 05Rs or ET Streets, so I'm less likely to break something due to a dead hook.

The guy at Brenspeed had no problem talking to me for more than 20 minutes about this even though I wasn't ready to purchase anything just yet. That says something about customer service.

Brenspeed rocks.

Quick Reply: Choosing a new tire