Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

tire choice for DD summertime..kdw's? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:39 AM
lundis
1st Gear Member

Default tire choice for DD summertime..kdw's? HELP!

car is an 08 GT with 4.10 gears, intake, nitrous, will have driveshaft soon, 3000 stall torque converter, kooks LT's, bassani mufflers.

im ordering new 18" rims, 9" in front, 10" out back. im also ordering 2 extras to put a set of drag radials on, this way i dont have to wear them out from daily driving. ill swap the back rims to the DR's when at the track and when running nitrous.

stock rims are being kept for the snow tires i already have.

so the tires i need to pick out will be strictly for some spring/summer/some fall weather, in the street. i do screw around in the street but not all out.

i dont get to spend this much cash at once often, so the first priority is that they need to last as long as possible. 2nd is for hooking, 3rd is that i do need them to handle the rain, so they'll need descent wet performance too. a quiet ride would be nice...but as long as its not too much noiser than my existing pzero nero OE equipment, im cool.

i had picked out was BFG KDW 2's, i read they last awhile, and hook pretty good...suggestions?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Well.... the HP/T numbers you are running will be with you all year long, so you should spend some money on tires worty of such input.

I would not run anything harder than say a 200 UTQG tire and very pleased with the Michelin PS2's I run for my Winter wheels. They are a very high performance Summer tire, but run race tires between March~October. I would expect to get 20K out of them if you drive modestly and more over Winter months. They are fine in the rain, but I drive VERY conservatively in the wet, so cannot speak to the higher output you have on your ride. I am only pushing 250 HP, so not a big issue for me at all.

As for quiet, this is a relative thing, but I would NOT be concerned about sound based on your needs. Sound is going to be what you are given and should just be accepted for what you are given based on traction being #1, IMO.

Jazzer
Old 01-23-2010, 08:41 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

At present I have 255/45/18 KDW2's all around. They are an excellent street tire imo. Only drawback is noise. I live in the Pacific Northwest. It rains alot. These tires perform well in the rain. I've also driven them in temps as low as low 20's. As long as I drive sensible they work fine. Can't say too much about longevity because I've only had them on for 8,000 miles. There is plenty of tread left.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:44 AM
lundis
1st Gear Member

jazzer i have a seperate set of rims with winter tires, so winter driving is not the issue. as of right now on a mustang dyno i put down 297/305, not including the driveshaft that i have yet to install, or the nitrous. the driveshaft might free up a couple more, as will the torque converter, but the nitrous is where most of the power will be coming from, and im not going to be running that on the street much.

bruce, how much more noisy were they from the stock pzero nero tires?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You mentioned that #3 importance was how they do in the rain. Any tire will run in the rain, you just need some tread to dispurse water. I still go with my above post and recommend you go with a relatively soft tire. I think you need to focus a bit more on a specific direction, rather than high mileage AND good traction. Your OEM wheels with A/S tires are for longer wear, good traction in wet weather and are cheap to replace. Your DR's are for the track and are certainly on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I recommend you go right in the middle with emphasis on traction as you will open it up once in a while due to human nature. A tire that hooks, will be louder than the A/S Winter tires and completely subjective. I will be curious to see what tire you eventually buy, so please come back with your decision.

Jazzer
Old 01-24-2010, 08:00 AM
lundis
1st Gear Member

as of now im still leaning towards BFG KDW's, ive read they have great summer traction, handle the rain just fine, and can last 30k+ if treated properly....
Old 01-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I have heard good things about them, but have not run them. They should get pretty good wear and be quieter than the PS2's, but more of a straight-line tire, based on my observations of tread pattern. I am sure they will be just fine in the wet and have pretty good traction overall.

Jazzer
Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

OP, look into Nitto NT05's and Nitto INVO tires before you make your decision. They both are softer tires and have a better sidewall and tread blocks than the KDW 2's. The INVO's are also one of the quietest tires out there from what ive seen. Great in rain and stuff and guys with cobras use them so they cant hook all that bad. NT05's are even softer and have been pretty good for traction and do well in rain as well...but they will be slightly noisier and are probably a little bit more expensive.