Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

What tire size should I go with for the best handling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

Default What tire size should I go with for the best handling?

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of picking out new wheels. Right now I have the stock 17x8 New Edge Spring Feature Rims on 245/45ZR/17 Tires and I'm looking at 17x8 Bullits and 18x9 FR500s.

Basically, I was wondering what size tire would give me the best mix of handling and speed. I've heard above 18" you start to make some sacrifices in performance so I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Also, would running a staggered set up (18x9 up front, 18x10.5 in the rear) hurt my handling at all?

Thanks!
Christian
Old 03-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The only downside to staggered is the tendency to have exaggerated understeer. That said, it is not uncommon at all and nothing to worry about specifically. On the extreme end, running and 8" wheel, you are really limited to a 45 series tire and up to a 315 on a 10.5" wheel. The understeer can be a bit pronounced on such a set up, but not an issue until you start to push hard in the corners.

If you want to improve your overall handling characteristics *read balanced*, I would run a set of 9"s all around with 265/35/18"s on NT05's, gForce KD T/A, or my personal fave.... PS2's

Take a look at Choosing a new tire thread and will give some good understanding between different tires and how one will be better suited to your needs than another.

Jazzer
Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

thanks a lot that was very interesting- I'm definitely leaning towards a 265/35/18 now especially since I'm looking for really balanced handling.

Just one more question- is there any benefit for going for a 265/35/18 over a 275/35/18?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I find the 275's typically a bit sloppy on a 9" wheel. I think a 265 has a bit stiffer sidewall and tends to roll over a bit less than a 275. For those REALLY into hitting the corners, a 245~255 is often used on a 9" wheel.

Depending on your driving needs, and your budget, all you need to do now is buy yourself some new shoes to go with your new wheels.

Jazzer
Old 03-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

hey jazzer- just another quick question. Would an 18" tire handle better than a 17" tire?
Basically would a 265/35/18 handle significantly better then what I'm running now (245/45/17)?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The general consensus is yes.

This would be identical cars in every respect including tires with the ONLY change between them to be the profile height:

315/35/17" tire = 25.6" diameter
315/30/18" tire = 25.6" diameter

The 18" tire will have a shorter sidewall by 1/2" so one will get less flex. This flex, or distortion, will cause the tires contact patch to remain more constant and therefore maintain an improved grip on the road.

Now for the exceptions to the rule.... If ones car has incredibly stiff spring/shock/strut components and driven on the street, I "may" reverse the above statement. With limited "give" of tires, a car with such suspension will tend to be more easily upset by rough/uneven road surfaces. The 17" tires additional sidewall will "give" a bit more and absorb some of what would otherwise upset the contact patch of the tire to the road. Again, a general statement as there is really not much difference between these two tires but really a technical comparison.

There are many who will forgo or just disagree with the above statement and go 17" wheels for considerations of the additional wieght the 18"s will, in theory, have. Additional weight, when taking tires/wheels and some other components, not only to the actual difference in weight, but the "additional" weight created by rotating mass. The faster you go, the more the wheels play a part in your ability to atain a constant lateral G of a turn. Don't want to go too far out there, as your question was not really this direction

Sir Isaac Jazzer

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 03-27-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

thanks a lot for the info jazzer- i'm learning a lot haha
one last question since you seem like the road racer of the forums- what sizes do you run?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Summer wheels = 10" & 11" with 295/30/18"s and 315/30/18" R888's
Winter wheels = 10" & 10.5" with 295/30/18" and 315/30/18" PS2's

Just installed my Summer wheels earlier this week with a fresh set of R-comps and did a little cruisin' out HWY 1 with the gal-pal earlier. I just got back, 4:30 PM, and took a little video of the Fort Ross Twisties. I am going to do some video editing (have done VERY little to this point!) and going to loop both passes together with some Killing Joke The Lightbringer as a soundtrack. I have done tons of audio editing, but really no video, so will be a VERY simple editing for sure.

If you are curious, take a look at the Jazzer verse... link in my sig by tomorrow morning and should hopefully have it up

Jazzer
Old 03-27-2010, 07:18 PM
v braaten
1st Gear Member

I'd like to add my 2 cents worth. I agree with Jazzer in every respect and would offer that a smaller diameter wheel gets going from a standing stop more quickly than a large wheel. Also, a larger diameter wheel will require less power to rotate at high speeds. Therefore, smaller wheel for drag racing and larger wheel for high speed road racing.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:00 PM
98cobraguy
1st Gear Member

put 275s up front and 315s on the rear

Quick Reply: What tire size should I go with for the best handling?