Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Found some low profile tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 PM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Default Found some low profile tires

Hey everyone I found some low profile tires lieing around in my dads warehouse today...it turns out they were on his 2001 prelude four years ago which he sold. Anyway I was wondering would they fit on my 1999 mustang?

They are 205/45ZR17 88W - Motegi Racing R7 Rims

Here is a picture:

http://i40.tinypic.com/67k4d1.jpg

Also I was wondering if the tire is even good it looks like theres no thread on it unless its different for "low profile" tires.

http://i40.tinypic.com/kd4rwo.jpg
Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

What wheels do you have on your Mustang? If they are 17s then maybe? They might be WAY too thin and have to be really stretched out which isn't safe... 205 is a TINY tire.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I see a lot of wear (probably low pressure) on the second pick and don't know the bolt pattern of the Prelude ones, so you would have to look it up. The bolt pattern is 5x4.5" for your car, but the off-set would probably be a funky fit and may have brake clearance issues.

That being said, the 205's are a bit thin and may not be rated for your vehicle weight. My guess is they are not and may not even fit anyway, but do some research if you want to install the wheels.

Jazzer
Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 AM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I see a lot of wear (probably low pressure) on the second pick and don't know the bolt pattern of the Prelude ones, so you would have to look it up. The bolt pattern is 5x4.5" for your car, but the off-set would probably be a funky fit and may have brake clearance issues.

That being said, the 205's are a bit thin and may not be rated for your vehicle weight. My guess is they are not and may not even fit anyway, but do some research if you want to install the wheels.

Jazzer
Well now I have my winter tires on the car which are:
Sears Ice and Snow Roadhandler P205/65R15 92S M+S

and I have another pair of summer tires which are:

Dunlop P225/60R15 95H
When I'm driving with these tires on the car sometimes turns left or right randomly I always have to keep my hand on the steering wheel. Also the car slides when i make a hard right or left turn! Which always scares me lol. I hope these tires work on mustang.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The car turning randomly is not a tire issue, but rather a possible bushing or other suspension issue. I would not recommend just changing the tires due to such issues. You need to have your car brought into a shoppe and checked out for what is happening. If the car slides, this may be due to pushing it too hard for conditions. ANY car will slide if provoked in the correct way, so hoping the tires is question will work is the wrong approach.

Again, I think a 205 tire is probably not rated for the weight of your car and needs to be checked out by your local shoppe.

Jazzer
Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Acck! Do yourself a favor and throw those pieces of junk away! No where near the right size, will look funky as all heck if you try, and if you think you have driveability problems now, those tires would just make it worse.
Looks like that tire in the 2nd pic might even have a belt issue, possibly migrating wire. Where the wires in the belts start to come out. (Hole in the BALD shoulder of the tire)
but its hard to say from that pic.
and I highly doubt the wheels from a FWD would fit properly on the stang.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:43 PM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Noooooo the tires don't fit on the mustang

The lug nut is bigger than the hole...and none of the holes match to the rotor thing (dont know what its called). Man I was so excited for these tires now I'm stuck with the ones I have now! Heres a picture of me failing at putting it on lol.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ym905u.jpg
Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

Don't worry about it. They wouldn't fit anyway. Look ridiculously out of place.