Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

My BBS Boss 302 rims just arrived! Now what tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You are gonna LOVE those tires

I put a thread in the mods section reguarding your exhast system. We'll see what happens.

Jazzer
Old 09-28-2010, 04:14 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Default TPMS 911 Help for 2010 Mustang GT

My 2010 Mustang GT uses the Valve Stem style TPMS sensor and it does not fit into my new rims. The BBS rims have a hole much smaller than the one on the stock rim so I only have a few options that I can see? My car is at Ford now and they want me to tell them what I want to do?

1) Find a strap style sensor that will work and turn the red light off in the car?

2) Have the new $2700 rims sent somewhere to cut the hole larger?

3) Leave the red light on in the car?

I would really like to know if anyone has moved their new 2010-11 Mustang from a valve style TPMS sensor to a strap style sensor?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I would not disable such a sensor a the TPMS. For all we know, you may find yourself in a liability issue by having it disabled (crazier things have happened)

I would recommend you get the strap to make your sensor work properly and Ford may have some ideas as well as the tire shoppe you are using for installation.

Jazzer

PS. Some pics would be nice
Old 09-28-2010, 10:09 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I would not disable such a sensor a the TPMS. For all we know, you may find yourself in a liability issue by having it disabled (crazier things have happened)

I would recommend you get the strap to make your sensor work properly and Ford may have some ideas as well as the tire shoppe you are using for installation.

Jazzer

PS. Some pics would be nice
It has been at the Ford dealership since Saturday and they have me in a rental car. I get a new Ford (or two) every year so they always take very good care of me. I would be happy to have them put on a strap sensor BUT they are not sure if the 09 sensors will work on the 2010 cars? They called all of the other service departments and parts departments to see if they know anyone who has done it yet and no one seems to know if it will work or not?

When I went to Goodyear and spoke to the manager he told me until they come up with some after market sensor they are forced to buy them all from the dealer so I would be having the same problem with them. I went to a place tat specializes in tires and rims and he wants to drill a larger hole in my rims so the sensor will fit?

The rims are NOT going back so I still do not know what they hell I am going to do? Any other ideas and why can't I just use a strap sensor on my 2010!! This is really getting frustrating. You are going to get so many photos it's not even funny once they are on.

Last edited by macmovieman; 09-28-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

I am really sorry to hear about Elizabeth. I lost my cat a year ago and I still think about the little fella.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Eliabeth is my fiance... the kitty was the real Jazzer The Cat.

How much larger does the hole need to be and has this shoppe done this on other wheels? If it has been done before and they are comfortable, I think it may be the way to go.

Be aware that this will void ANY warranty you have with the wheels, so be sure to carefully inspect them and get some assurances from the shoppe prior to having this done.

Jazzer
Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 AM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

How much larger does the hole need to be and has this shoppe done this on other wheels? If it has been done before and they are comfortable, I think it may be the way to go.

Be aware that this will void ANY warranty you have with the wheels, so be sure to carefully inspect them and get some assurances from the shoppe prior to having this done.

Jazzer
I would say that the hole in the stock 19s is about the size of a quarter and the size on the 18s is about a dime. I was shocked at how large the difference was? I am going to call BBK this morning and ask them some questions before I do anything.

Last edited by macmovieman; 09-29-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:03 AM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

I am very, very sorry for your loss Jazzer.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

BOY! I can guarantee you BBK will not approve of drilling such a hole and not sure I would be comfortable in doing so myself. I would say that it is VERY "punk" of Ford to design in such a way as this. I mean, how many Mustangs go with aftermarket wheels and how many will have such a hole. Eventually, the market will catch up, but will be more expensive as the wheels will likely not be interchangable with other makes/models due to the size of this hole.

Manufacturers will have to make "Mustang only" fitment and see this as just an additional expense for going aftermarket wheels

Jazzer

PS. Thanks for kind words
Old 09-29-2010, 01:09 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

BOY! I can guarantee you BBK will not approve of drilling such a hole and not sure I would be comfortable in doing so myself. I would say that it is VERY "punk" of Ford to design in such a way as this. I mean, how many Mustangs go with aftermarket wheels and how many will have such a hole. Eventually, the market will catch up, but will be more expensive as the wheels will likely not be interchangable with other makes/models due to the size of this hole.

Manufacturers will have to make "Mustang only" fitment and see this as just an additional expense for going aftermarket wheels

Jazzer

PS. Thanks for kind words
Alright, I just got off the phone with BBS and they talked about it in their racing group and consumer group this morning and think they might have a solution for me. They have stems that are 8mm and 11mm that they sell that can fit on other cars. I would need the same 8mm valve stem they use on the Porsche GT3 and it should connect perfectly to my ford sensor. They are going to next day it to the Ford service department and I should know by tomorrow if it is going to fit. If it fits he says he is sure it will work and I will document everything with model numbers so others do not run into in the future.

So to recap, I would be using my same stock sensors and because Ford made these new sensors in 2 parts and not 1 part like many valve sensors these days it allows be to find a separate stem (he calls them adapters) that should attach itself to the sensor. If it works this will be the perfect solution.

The last things Eric at BBS said was I might have an issue with the lug nuts? He said I need a 90 degree (seed?) for a .5 inch stud? I have NO IDEA what that means. He said he had 60 degree units that looks great but I would need to machine them to a 90 degree. Man this stuff is confusing.

Quick Reply: My BBS Boss 302 rims just arrived! Now what tires?