Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

20s... bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by MattS93
Thanks guys! yeah im on stock suspension. Id feel a little ghetto saying "im on 20s" aha but whatever. These are the ones Im looking at:

The key to running a 20" wheel is to make sure your tire diameter is not too large. The OEM tire diameter is 25.6", so could squeeze a 27" tire relatively easy with proper off-set of wheel.

Jazzer
Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 PM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

See here's the problem with the 18"/20" debate... DTK didn't feel a large difference, but I felt a big one when I switched. I went from heavy 20" bullitt style wheels to lightweight 18"s and the car really seemed to handle better and accelerate better, but I do often exaggerate things in my head (and the seat of my pants)

From my perspective, my 20's with stock suspension had a very similar ride to my 18's with steeda sport springs. It wasn't bad either way for me.

(A note, mine were 265/35/20 up front, and 295/30/20 and they were just about factory size)

I do think these cars look best with 19's or 20's though.

'Jim
Old 10-22-2010, 03:34 AM
mikeSF
1st Gear Member

when i switched from 18 stock GT wheels (in sig) to an american racing 20" (attached), I definitely noticed the difference in ride. i now feel every little bump or crack in the road, much more than with the 18's. YMMV, but it has been no seamless transition for me. On the other hand, i really like the look of 20" wheels, so it is a tradeoff. had mine for 9 mos now.

(fyi, i use a sumitomo HTRZ tire with the 20")
Attached Thumbnails 20s... bad?-imgp6005-copy.jpg  
Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 AM
mahstang

I just recently went from 17" stockers to 20" wheels with 35 series tires. Its really not that big of a deal. The ride didn't feel much different AT ALL except for when you hit a bump in the road or a small pothole. The steering is more reactive, it corners quicker and takes off and brakes every so slightly quicker. That sidewall is nice for traction and comfort. But when you remove it you remove a lot of slop. The more solid the wheel/tire combo is the more reactive steering, braking and acceleration will be (assuming that you are receiving traction).

They are a bit heavier than smaller wheels. Metal is typically more dense than rubber. You will have a bit more rotational mass and just weight added to the car in general. The more rotational mass that you have the more torque will be needed to turn the wheels. So although in one sense you may accelerate quicker due to less slop in the sidewall of the tire you will also accelerate slower due to more rotational mass. You won't feel the difference one way or the other too much. If you are concerned then just go to a bigger gear in the rear. Problem solved.

Looks wise it doesn't look "pimp" at all. On the older fox and SN95 model Mustangs....20" wheels look RIDICULOUS. In my opinion 20" wheels on my '07 look similar to 18" on the SN95 I used to have. I have received NOTHING but compliments on my wheels. From men and women of ALL ages. It really fills out the car and gives it that missing something.

And tires I've noticed are generally CHEAPER than tires that are slightly smaller. I'm not sure if that is because more cars come standard with 20" tires now or if the aftermarket is just that huge or what. The only problem is that most local places only carry 20" truck tires. You almost have to order your tires online.

If you've found a good deal then just go for it. You'll be glad you did. All of the typical hater remarks that you get ANYTIME you ask for advice on one of these forums will melt away. You'll realize it was mostly just haters who have little to do in life but beat their chest and complain.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:09 AM
mahstang

BTW....no offense, but being concerned about the ride quality reminds me of someone being concerned about fuel mileage. You drive a V8 Mustang. If you want something that drives comfortably then buy a Volkswagon or a Toyota or something. If you want a Mustang GT then you shouldn't be too concerned about fuel mileage and if you want a Mustang GT with 20" wheels then you shouldn't be too concerned about ride quality. Feeling the bumps in the roads, to some degree, is desirable. It means your car is becoming more more rigid which means you are squeezing the slop out of it. That slop that leads to body roll through the turns, nose dive during breaking and slow times taking off from a stand still. The more rigid your car becomes the quicker it will be doing just about everything....but the more bumps you will feel along the way. Its part of going fast. In Mustangs and in legitimate race cars.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:08 AM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mahstang
BTW....no offense, but being concerned about the ride quality reminds me of someone being concerned about fuel mileage. You drive a V8 Mustang. If you want something that drives comfortably then buy a Volkswagon or a Toyota or something. If you want a Mustang GT then you shouldn't be too concerned about fuel mileage and if you want a Mustang GT with 20" wheels then you shouldn't be too concerned about ride quality. Feeling the bumps in the roads, to some degree, is desirable. It means your car is becoming more more rigid which means you are squeezing the slop out of it. That slop that leads to body roll through the turns, nose dive during breaking and slow times taking off from a stand still. The more rigid your car becomes the quicker it will be doing just about everything....but the more bumps you will feel along the way. Its part of going fast. In Mustangs and in legitimate race cars.
Well, Just because a car knocks your teeth out over bumps doesn't mean it handles awesome, it has to have the correct amount of roll stiffness to make the suspension and weight of the car work for it.

There's no reason you can't have these cars feel comfortable and handle great, granted my car is no Cadillac but it certainly isn't too rough on the road (and it feels 100x better than my old '95 which took bumps like hell but still couldn't turn to save its life)
Old 10-27-2010, 06:24 PM
mahstang

Originally Posted by imfamousjim
Well, Just because a car knocks your teeth out over bumps doesn't mean it handles awesome, it has to have the correct amount of roll stiffness to make the suspension and weight of the car work for it.

There's no reason you can't have these cars feel comfortable and handle great, granted my car is no Cadillac but it certainly isn't too rough on the road (and it feels 100x better than my old '95 which took bumps like hell but still couldn't turn to save its life)
I agree. And I apologize if I made that direct relationship. Sucking down gasoline also doesn't mean that you are going to go fast. I never meant to make that relationship either.

Comfort is subjective. You can maintain some sense of "comfort" and handle well. I don't disagree. However the closer you get to becoming an authentic race car the further away you get from driving like a Caddy. Its give and take.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:57 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

When I put the 20's on my car it instantly got noticed, and complements everytime I got out of the car, even at stop lights people had nice things to say! I had to recently put my stock wheels and tires on in order to pass the annual state inspection (my 20's don't have the TPMS) and the light on the dash would fail the inspection. Not one compliment! They are going back on the car Friday!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:04 PM
mahstang

Originally Posted by conejo172
When I put the 20's on my car it instantly got noticed, and complements everytime I got out of the car, even at stop lights people had nice things to say! I had to recently put my stock wheels and tires on in order to pass the annual state inspection (my 20's don't have the TPMS) and the light on the dash would fail the inspection. Not one compliment! They are going back on the car Friday!
I live in Springfield, VA. The TPMS warning light would fail your inspection? That doesn't seem right. Good thing I know people who who do inspections. Will tuners turn off that warning?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:09 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Not sure about the tuner but you will fail with tpms lights though if you don't "know people" lol

Quick Reply: 20s... bad?