Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

new tire selection on '09

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 05:20 PM
dustinkew

Default new tire selection on '09

I just read the sticky thread on choosing a new tire. although it was helpful, i would like to get some more input.

I own a 09 mustang gt and is only driven as a summer vehicle. I do not desire to go to the track but like to churp from light to light and open it up a bit on the hwy.

this summer i plan to add 410s and c&l intake plus tune. will this be a large enough boost in performance to warrant better tires than i currently have? right now i have pirelli zero nero all weather 235/55/zr17. I'd like to upgrade to 255/45/18 with nitto 555's. Does this sound about right?

eventually i'd like to add cams/heads so i know for sure i will need new tires and possably brakes and suspension upgrades then. Im just asking if i need new tires before the cai and 410 mods that way i save money on that instead of going out and getting new tires for no reason.

thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I would say YES... a better tire is warranted!

There is no A/S tire that is gonna do well in terms of Summer grip The NT555's are gonna be a better tire, but cannot say how much without knowing you what you are running currently.

What is your timeline to get your cams/heads?

I think that tires and brakes should come before power mods, as they are gonna be needed the moment you upgrade HP/T. Otherwise, you will likely need to save funds for these items all the while driving around with extra need for them!

I recommend you spend $300 of your savings, to address a GOOD set of braking items as found in "Brakes upgrade ~ Speed up slowing down" next to the Choosing a new tire thread. THEN, depending on if you will wear out your next set of tires prior to upgrading heads/cams, get that set of 555's. Once your power-adders have been done, I would recommend you step up to a set of "R" comps to really put that power to the ground.

After all... without grip, you cannot accelerate, stop or turn

Jazzer
Old 12-23-2010, 02:10 PM
dustinkew

thanks for the input..

My stang is currently stock gt everything. i just purchased it used last spring with 10,500mi on it from a certified dealer. My aquisition for heads/cams probably wont come until next summer in 2012. this spring i will just be adding 410 and cai/tune (my wife would have a heart attack if I did all the mods at once).

so if im reading your post correctly i should throw on those nittos + brakes and then slap on the mods? also should i upgrade rotors? I'll basically just sell my current wheels and tires as they are basically new, then just put that cash into new ones.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I would not bother with new rotors. For ALL street driving, the upgrade of fluid, pads and SS lines with be more than adequate for anything up to pretty aggressive open-track use. If you ever got into hardcore open-track work with your car, you would ONLY need to upgrade at that point.

The Nitto NT555's will be an definite improvement over your current tires, but would not be my choice for the future mods. I would expect to get a good 25K~30K miles from them, unless you have a set of concrete shoes you like to put on at stop lights

Jazzer