Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Center caps fit American Muscle bullitt rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:02 PM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Default Center caps fit American Muscle bullitt rims

I have a stock '08 V6 with 17 X 8 rims. I am considering purchasing four black
bullit wheels from American Muscle.

Will the stock tri-bar center cap on my stock rims fit these American Muscle rims?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I highly doubt it

If the holes of wheels are the same size and they both have little embossed stickers, you can just peel them off and use silicone adheasive to swap them.

Jazzer
Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 08 Pony Package
I have a stock '08 V6 with 17 X 8 rims. I am considering purchasing four black
bullit wheels from American Muscle.

Will the stock tri-bar center cap on my stock rims fit these American Muscle rims?

Thanks

I would recommend measuring them to find out.

Our wheels use a 2.5" diameter bore for the centercap and though that is a popular Ford size, not every wheel they make uses it. Depending upon what you have, they may not fit.

Get a tape measure and find out the diameter of your centercaps and if they are 2.5" they will fit just fine!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ not necessarily

If the caps used "fit" or snap into place at a different depth, they will be inset or stick out. This was the issue I had with my Saleen caps and aftermarket wheels. I ended up peeling the embossed stickers off of each one and using silicone adheasive to apply the Saleen stickers to the aftermarket wheel caps.

Jazzer
Old 08-14-2011, 06:42 AM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Default Black Bullitt 17 X 8 Center Caps - American Muscle

Originally Posted by AMChrisYoung
I would recommend measuring them to find out.

Our wheels use a 2.5" diameter bore for the centercap and though that is a popular Ford size, not every wheel they make uses it. Depending upon what you have, they may not fit.

Get a tape measure and find out the diameter of your centercaps and if they are 2.5" they will fit just fine!
I just popped one off to measure. Outter diameter is 2 9/16" and the inner is 2 1/4".

There are 41 customer pics on the AM website for this product. I looked at them all and cannot make out if anyone has stock Tri-bar caps on their AM wheels.

Chris, Is there anyway you can ask some of your customers who purchased this product if they were able to use their stock Mustang tri-bar cap?

I really want the wheels and I love AM and all they have to offer....but I am determined to have the stock Mustang caps. If I have too...I may just paint the rims black instead of spending the >$400....but....I would rather by the rims. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am willing to bet that the extra 1/32" of overlap all the way around the cap, can be trimmed off with a razor blade once the emblems have been switched over to the new caps. Just make sure they are centered and the silicone is dry, prior to doing so. Although, the difference is so slight, you may not need to do so. Just place a razor blade inbetween the emblem and cap and just carefully slice through the adheasive and will come off easily. This can be done without any damage to either the cap or emblem.

I have done this for two sets of wheels in the exact same way. My caps were exactly the same size, but I could have trimmed them as I described, if was necessary. I did this over 4 years ago and have no issues of any kind. Looking at my Saleen knock-offs with an authentic Saleen cap, looks perfect. My car is an authentic Saleen, BTW

Jazzer
Old 08-14-2011, 08:50 AM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Jazzer...are you saying that this black emblem on my stock caps can be peeled off and applied to the center caps that come with the AM rims?

I am not following along with what you are saying as I believe my stock caps are smaller than the AM caps....you are talking about trimming?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Jazzer...are you saying that this black emblem on my stock caps can be peeled off and applied to the center caps that come with the AM caps...you are talking about trimming?..
Yes.. this is exactly what I am saying

Remove all 8 center caps (4 you have currently and the four new ones that come with the wheels). Use a razor blade and slice inbetween the emblem and the cap on all 8 to cut through the adheasive. This will allow you to use silicone adheasive to attach the OEM Ford ones you like, onto the caps of the new wheels. The emblems will be just a hair larger, so you can just "trim" the overlapping 1/32" of emblem off after the glue dries.

"... I am not following along with what you are saying as I believe my stock caps are smaller than the AM caps....you are talking about trimming?
The OEM caps are 2~9/16", where the NEW wheels will be 2.5" (1/16" inch smaller) so your Ford emblems will fit onto the center caps, with exactly 1/32" of overlap all the way around. This is a VERY small amount and may just cover the shadow line of the cap as it sits in the wheel. Might not even need to trim them.

The following things are required for this to happen, since I have not seen your center caps...

1. if you remove your Ford cap, is the emblem an "embossed sticker" or is it molded into the cap and not removeable. If it is just a flat aluminum/stamped emblem, this is exactly what is needed.

2. The center cap emblem of the NEW wheels, must be the same way

If for some reason this doesn't make any sense, I can get my caps and take/upload some pics, but they are burried in the shed.

Jazzer
Old 08-14-2011, 12:46 PM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Awesome...thanks for the thorough detail...I think I will give it a shot. I will get back to you with results in a week or so. Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

YW

Quick Reply: Center caps fit American Muscle bullitt rims