Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Painted my stock 2000 Gt wheels this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Talking Painted my stock 2000 Gt wheels this weekend

hand sanded, (took forever) primed, sprayed and cleared. Gloss black
what ya think guys, a good $47 investment

before...

after

Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

I did that whole process with my winter tires too. Love the black tire look!
Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 AM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

amazing investment lol, that is a sharp color combo and u did a great job
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

You did a nice job and only spent 47.00. But black wheels make it look unfinished, like 4 temporary spares. I like the stock wheels the way they were. But, you did a bang up job on the finish.

Last edited by 03gt04mach1; 11-09-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03gt04mach1
You did a nice job and only spent 47.00. But black wheels make it look unfinished, like 4 temporary spares. I like the stock wheels the way they were. But, you did a bang up job on the finish.
i'm on the other end - my last car was a white 3000GT with black 18 inch wheels. LOVE that color combo. Right now I have black saleen wheels and they look ****. When there is low lighting outside, or dark, you can't even see the wheels, but it makes it mysterious and gives a totally different feel. I also love bronze and darker gunmetal wheels (like 5zigen 5n01r-c)

nice job OP... went from blending in the crowd to standing out with such an easy fix
Old 11-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
i'm on the other end - my last car was a white 3000GT with black 18 inch wheels. LOVE that color combo. Right now I have black saleen wheels and they look ****. When there is low lighting outside, or dark, you can't even see the wheels, but it makes it mysterious and gives a totally different feel. I also love bronze and darker gunmetal wheels (like 5zigen 5n01r-c)

nice job OP... went from blending in the crowd to standing out with such an easy fix
why thank you
Old 11-10-2011, 10:14 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Still not sold on black wheels. He's blending in the crowd more than you think. I've noticed that the Toyota, Honda and other imports are taking off their hubcaps, thinking their black wheels look good too.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03gt04mach1
Still not sold on black wheels. He's blending in the crowd more than you think. I've noticed that the Toyota, Honda and other imports are taking off their hubcaps, thinking their black wheels look good too.

agree to disagree, but comparing painted 17" GT alloys to tiny hub cap wheels?

basically his wheels look completely different now, more "racer" and less "stock/plain".. i like seeing the lug nuts
lowering springs would even further enhance the looks
Old 11-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

agree to disagree, but comparing painted 17" GT alloys to tiny hub cap wheels?

basically his wheels look completely different now, more "racer" and less "stock/plain".. i like seeing the lug nuts
lowering springs would even further enhance the looks
thats what im sayin, as far as im concerned its a cheap way for some saleen look alikes haha. now as far as saying they look like spare tire, i assume you are over the 40 YO mark, not u jas5, othe guy. my 70 year old dad says the same. hes a chrome man himself. as far as me, im in college and if saving $800 dollars means making people think i have after market wheels, then toot toot ( thats my horn )

on anothe note, hopefuly in a few mpnths i can get some 18x9 and 10" because my traction right now is lacking. as far as what style wheels, imma wing it and buy what im in the mood for that day

also, about the lug nuts, autozone , $20 chrome locking and cover the threads toot toot
Old 11-11-2011, 08:33 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Crispy2000Gt
thats what im sayin, as far as im concerned its a cheap way for some saleen look alikes haha. now as far as saying they look like spare tire, i assume you are over the 40 YO mark, not u jas5, othe guy. my 70 year old dad says the same. hes a chrome man himself. as far as me, im in college and if saving $800 dollars means making people think i have after market wheels, then toot toot ( thats my horn )

on anothe note, hopefuly in a few mpnths i can get some 18x9 and 10" because my traction right now is lacking. as far as what style wheels, imma wing it and buy what im in the mood for that day

also, about the lug nuts, autozone , $20 chrome locking and cover the threads toot toot
Age has nothing to do with it. Just because your young right now, you can say OLDER ones don't know what cool is. Seeing the style of a wheel is what's important. And black doesn't really do that, 'till you get right up to it. Remember, I recommended BLACK CHROME when you were going to choose a set of wheels? Otherwise they all look alike from a distance, regardless. I'm sorry you think, because someone is older they don't know style when they see it. I guess you've seen our cars in our PERSONAL PROFILE PAGE and decided since we didn't follow the crowd and put black wheels on our cars we are old and don't have taste. I applauded your effort, like I said, but all you did was hide the style of the wheel. I'm sorry I'm getting older, but I hope you're lucky enough to reach your fifties one day, or seventies like your dad. I regret now that I voiced my opinion after YOU ASKED "What does everybody think", and I didn't chime in and say"Oh how wonderful"! I'm glad you like the look, but you just painted a nice set of wheels black, that's all. I never meant to offend you for your hard work. If that's the way you took it, I'm sorry. But, this has nothing to do with age.

Last edited by 03gt04mach1; 11-11-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Painted my stock 2000 Gt wheels this weekend