Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Why staggered?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
clayto

Default Why staggered?

I don't understand the point of having slightly staggered wheels. I realize it makes sense for some cars, but not for a Mustang GT. Currently, I have p245/45zr17 up front p275/40zr17 in the back. The front tires are much more worn than the rears, and I will soon need new tires for the front.

Could I buy two p275/40zr17 and install them on the front? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to tires and wheels, so any help would be appreciated. My car is a 1999 GT and it has 17" Cobra wheels.

Thanks,
Clayton
Old 03-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by clayto
I don't understand the point of having slightly staggered wheels. I realize it makes sense for some cars, but not for a Mustang GT. Currently, I have p245/45zr17 up front p275/40zr17 in the back. The front tires are much more worn than the rears, and I will soon need new tires for the front... "
Agreed in just about every case Depending on the use of the car, additional grip out back can be a good thing, but is nearly always ONLY an improvement in appearance.

"... Could I buy two p275/40zr17 and install them on the front? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to tires and wheels, so any help would be appreciated. My car is a 1999 GT and it has 17" Cobra wheels.

Thanks,
Clayton
If you are running your OEM wheels, no... that is too wide a tire. An 8" wheel can have no more than a 245 for a proper fit.

Jazzer
Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 PM
clayto

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Agreed in just about every case Depending on the use of the car, additional grip out back can be a good thing, but is nearly always ONLY an improvement in appearance.

If you are running your OEM wheels, no... that is too wide a tire. An 8" wheel can have no more than a 245 for a proper fit.

Jazzer
Thanks for the info.

How could I tell if I am running the OEM wheels? All I know is that the guy told me I had Cobra wheels, although he probably meant rims. This is what mine look like:

http://www.pmustangs.com/What's%20Ne...0cobra%20r.jpg
Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Those are Cobra R wheels(aftermarket), and if you take one off on the back of one of the spokes should be the size, width, and offset of the wheel.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 AM
clayto

Originally Posted by 1slow67
Those are Cobra R wheels(aftermarket), and if you take one off on the back of one of the spokes should be the size, width, and offset of the wheel.
Thanks, I will do that.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Dub's
1st Gear Member

No it won't fit and if your wheel is staggered you have no choice but to go staggered tires. The front is meant to turn so having thinner up front gives you better response when you dodge a dead dog on the road in a senario.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Luke@tirerack
1st Gear Member

staggered wheels and tires are used for a couple of reasons

#1.) induce understeer ... it is a known fact that a vehicle with understeer is safer and easier for the average person to drive than a vehicle that is neutral or has any tendency to oversteer

#2.) throttle induced oversteer reduction

it's all about the nanny-state safety concerns much like the now required tire pressure monitoring systems
Old 03-07-2012, 04:04 PM
clayto

What is standard protocol for "rotating" staggered tires? Is it possible? Obviously you can't put the front in the back (or vice-versa)... but would moving the front tires from left to right help? Or do most people just ignore this issue when running staggered wheels?

Thanks - I'm still a learning nub.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Luke@tirerack
1st Gear Member

What is standard protocol for "rotating" staggered tires? .
standard procedure for tire rotation is pretty simple ... you don't
Old 03-08-2012, 07:09 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

<... has window open WAY too long to remain relevant in this thread

You can go front/front, but unless you swap the tires/wheels as well, it will be of little to no help. I happen to think that tire rotation is very overrated and most driving a Mustang are not going to see much benefit. If you want to rotate properly, you need to stick with all the same size tires/wheels at each corner. If you want to make it "practicle" to rotate, you also need to avoid a directional tire.

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Why staggered?