Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Tpms relearn.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Tight Lines
1st Gear Member

Default Tpms relearn.

Planning on using a winter set of rims and tires. I have a 2011 gt, and have heard that the tpms tool is not necessary because 2010 and up have automatic relearn. Is that true or do I need the tpms tool?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Luke@tirerack
1st Gear Member

When new sensors are installed, they must be registered using a TPMS triggering tool.

TPMS re-learn procedures for your 2011 Mustang GT:

1.) Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle’s recommended inflation pressures (found in the owner’s manual on the door placard).

2.) Turn the ignition switch to OFF then press and release the brake pedal.

3.) Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (engine OFF) 3 times, ending in the RUN position. Do this within 10 seconds.

4.) Press and release the brake pedal.

5.) Turn the ignition switch back to OFF.

6.) Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (engine OFF) 3 times, ending in the RUN position. Do this within 10 seconds.

7.) The horn should sound letting you know the vehicle has entered into TPMS relearn mode.

8.) Place the top of the TPMS triggering tool against the sidewall of the driver’s side front tire in the location of the valve stem.

9a.) If using a VT10, hold down the left button of the VT10 triggering tool for 10-15 seconds. The vehicle’s horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.

9b.) If using a VT15, press the left button, wait until the horn sounds, then press the right button to turn the tool off.

9c.) If using a FORDTRIGGER, press the center button. The vehicle’s horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.

10.) Once the horn sounds, move on to the passenger side front tire and repeat the process. Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less.

11.) After the passenger side front tire has been learned, continue on to the passenger side rear tire and finishing with the driver’s side rear tire.

12.) You may now turn the ignition to OFF. If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully. If the horn sounds twice, then the process must be repeated because there was a malfunction.

If your vehicle has push-button ignition:
1.) Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle’s recommended inflation pressures (found in the owner’s manual on the door placard).

2.) Make sure the ignition button is OFF then press and release the brake pedal.

3.) Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once. The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

4.) Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off.

5.) Press and release the brake pedal.

6.) Tap the ignition button once so the vehicle is OFF.

7.) Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once. The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

8.) Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off.

9.) The horn should sound letting you know the vehicle has entered into TPMS relearn mode.

10.) Place the top of the TPMS triggering tool against the sidewall of the driver’s side front tire in the location of the valve stem.

11a.) If using a VT10, hold down the left button of the VT10 triggering tool for 10-15 seconds. The vehicle’s horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.

11b.) If using a VT15, press the left button, wait until the horn sounds, then press the right button to turn the tool off.

11c.) If using a FORDTRIGGER, press the center button. The vehicle’s horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.

12.) Once the horn sounds, move on to the passenger side front tire and repeat the process. Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less.

13.) After the passenger side front tire has been learned, continue on to the passenger side rear tire and finishing with the driver’s side rear tire.

14.) You may now turn the ignition to OFF. If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully. If the horn sounds twice, then the process must be repeated because there was a malfunction.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:29 AM
USS Tigershark

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
9c.) If using a FORDTRIGGER, press the center button. The vehicle’s horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.
Does that mean that I can use the OEM Ford trigger (which is the cheapest one on the market if I'm right) for any aftermarket sensor such as Oro-Tech, Dorman, Titan or Orange or whatever else they're throwing at me?

I have the same problem at the moment because I sit here in Switzerland and I don't have clue what to order for my 20inch staggered Bullitt Motorsports from OEwheels (they came without tpms and oewheels doesn'tt bother to answer my questions regarding what sensors work with what trigger).

Karl
Old 02-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Luke@tirerack
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by USS Tigershark
Does that mean that I can use the OEM Ford trigger (which is the cheapest one on the market if I'm right) for any aftermarket sensor such as Oro-Tech, Dorman, Titan or Orange or whatever else they're throwing at me?

I have the same problem at the moment because I sit here in Switzerland and I don't have clue what to order for my 20inch staggered Bullitt Motorsports from OEwheels (they came without tpms and oewheels doesn'tt bother to answer my questions regarding what sensors work with what trigger).

Karl

our Ford trigger tool should work fine on any sensor that is compatible with your car
Old 02-03-2015, 06:54 AM
USS Tigershark

Thanks for reply!