Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Would I need a new set of tires if I..........

Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM
BriansNSane
1st Gear Member

FWIW and just in case the thought had occured to you, running a wider tire than approved for a wheel will NOT give one more grip. All it will do is curl up the sides and lose the proper contact patch, among several other things. A tire that is wider than the wheel, in the case of a street tire, is of no benefit in grip. A drag tire can be a different story, but we are talkin' street meats here
That is the exact point of this thread. I started it to learn what the limitations with the wheels I have are. Now I know I need new tires for the wheels I want to run. I understand that forcing a tire on a rim that is not meant for it will have those types of effects. I'm not ignorant, I am just uneducated on tire width's and sizes. I'm learning though.

Both sides? Why not invest the funds in some driving lessons instead of new rims you're just gonna rash up again?
Where in this thread did I say that "I" rashed them? They were this way when I bought the car a few years ago. It is a 2004 ya know. I really don't appreciate you trying to take a cheap shot at me. I came here to learn,even maybe criticized but that was kind of uncalled for. Furthermore you contributed no information about the subject whatsoever. Thanks

I think the color is a shade lighter on the aftermarket, but the machined lip or dish also has more of a shine or chrome-ish look too.
Well that might look kind of awkward to mix the two. I'll look into what kind of deal I can find for a full aftermarket staggered set with all new tires then.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 PM
BriansNSane
1st Gear Member

What do you mean by stretched look Mike?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 AM
BoomTown96
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BriansNSane
What do you mean by stretched look Mike?
The pics below is what hes talking about. These are 275s on a 10.5 inch wheel. For a 10.5 inch wide wheel your looking at a width of 275-315 for a proper fit. Looking at the pics below you can see with a 275 how far away the edge of the tire is with the edge of a rim. With 315s the edge of the tire is about even with the outside edge of the rim(Fits well and is a popular choice).

Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BriansNSane
Where in this thread did I say that "I" rashed them? They were this way when I bought the car a few years ago. It is a 2004 ya know. I really don't appreciate you trying to take a cheap shot at me. I came here to learn,even maybe criticized but that was kind of uncalled for. Furthermore you contributed no information about the subject whatsoever. Thanks
'Course not....I'm just being a dick. Relax Francis.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ How do you expect him to respond?

... and yes, you were being a dick

Jazzer showing his Stripes