Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Nitto nt555 reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default Nitto nt555 reviews?

What are your guys thought with our v6's and these tires? How are they in rain? My Pirellis are pretty much like a drag tire right now lol.

How loud are the nt555's? My mom got new tires on her SUV last year and they are the most obnoxious tires I've ever heard (I think they are Michelin), it sounds like your in an airplane at 35,000ft when your driving down the highway. Are the nt555's loud?

And last with minimal burnouts will they last at least 36k miles mostly highway?

Thanks. I've read reviews but haven't found much for people using them on our cars. Someone with similar mods to me chiming in would be great
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I've only had mine for ~7,000 miles, but I'm very happy with them. Hold the road so much better than the stock Pirellis. I don't think they're any louder than the stock tires either.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:18 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

i love the nittos. plenty of grip, way better than the pirellis, and i think theyre better in the (warm) rain. i couldnt tell u about road noise since i have magnaflows, but ive put about 15k if not more miles on them, and that includes at least 5 track days ( probably over 12 hours of track time) and a dozen autox's if not more, and i still have tread
Old 01-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I live in Seattle, we got heavy rain fairly often. the nt555's were pretty hydroplaning-prone. I replaced them because of that.

they had fantastic dry/warm grip, though.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:45 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

My 555s have quite a bit of miles on them and I like them. I never got to drive them brand new, and I haven't driven many other Mustangs on different tires so I couldn't give you expert advice, but from what I've driven they feel pretty good. I will say though, if you go with staggered tires like I have, once they get low you're very prone to hydroplaning everywhere; may as well be riding on two sleds at that point. I raced a Jaguar on the freeway one rainy night and once I hit 130 I started floating. I'm about to replace the ones on my car, and I think I might go with the same ones. Keep us posted!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

hmm interesting ive never felt them hydroplaning before. maybe its my driving style or something, idk
Old 01-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Ant-Man
1st Gear Member

They're good tires, only had them for about 800 miles but smooth and great grip.

Funny thing about the hydroplaning, I had to go out in some heavy rain one time and my truck wasn't available and I ended up hydroplaning down the side of a hill. Now I compare myself to the drivers on Tokyo drift, hah.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Per AM's website:

255/45-18 NITTO Extreme Performance NT555 Tire. The Nitto Tire NT555 is a summer-oriented, ultra high-performance street tire that was designed with the performance driver in mind. With one of the largest contact patches available, the NT555 provides superior traction and reliable handling - without sacrificing tread life. Both the tread pattern and the compound were optimized for dry performance. The highly rigid tread blocks provide stability while prolonging tire life. The NT555 will get you off the line quicker in the straights and provide confidence in the corners.
I purchased a wheel tire combo from AM that came with Nittos. Most of the time they perform great out here in San Diego. I did have hydroplaning issues the first hard rain of the season though, mostly because of standing water on the hwy. The tires perform pretty good on wet roads, but they don't like even the shallowest of puddles.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

A lot people really like these but I however, was not happy with them. They were downright dangerous in the rain. Very poor traction and easy to hydroplane. They wore very quickly and after about 10k miles they became so loud I ended up selling them. Much happier with my Sumitomos.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Eazey95svt

My son has NT555's on his '08 GT and has approximately 27,000 miles on them as a daily driver. They have excellent dry pavement traction (what they're designed for) and very average wet traction, especially in heavy rainfall. He absolutely doesn't press the envelope when it's wet outside because of this. He has even driven his car in some colder weather but you can definitely notice the difference in traction when the rubber compound gets cold.

I should also mention that he is only 19 and has driven this car for two years now so I know these tires have seen their fair share of full throttle action and they still have probably another 5000 miles left on them before they get tossed... For another set of NT555's of course!

Quick Reply: Nitto nt555 reviews?