Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Nitto Motivo review

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Default Nitto Motivo review

So Nitto did a promotion awhile back and sent me 4 tires to drive on and review. So I thought i would post up my review every so often of the Motivo's on here if anyone cares to read them. Overall so far, I did a few trips camping with the stang and the tires seem to ride really nice and they're pretty quiet. I'm happy with them so far!

Pros

Tires are quiet, they ride nice even with the lower profile, they seem to have pretty good grip even in gravel as well.

Cons
Sidewalls feel very sloppy, going around corners with any type of spirit in your driving and it feels like a the tires want to roll over.

Overall Impressions
I wish i had some time to drive in some real heavy rain and also some snow to give a good solid impression of these tires, but I don't have that luxury yet. The tires drive nice and the ride quality it top notch. Not bad for a daily driver!

Recommendation
I would recommend purchasing this product.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Not challenging your review, but what are the width of your wheels and what are the exact size of the tires? I ask, because one can have a nice cornering tire, but if oversized for a wheel, it can be sloppy and want to be a fair review. I have nothing to gain either way, just might be more to being sloppy than a weak sidewall

Jazzer
Old 07-13-2012, 07:29 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

its the stock 17" wheels with a 245/45/17 tire. You are the tire guru, so i respect your opinion
Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK... that is a proper fit for that size. It is the max width for the wheel, but that is not a prob. I was a bit concerned that maybe you installed a set of 275's on 8" wheels or something.

Just looking at the tire on Nitto's website, I certainly would not expect a whole lot of dry grip from them, but would expect quiet. Doesn't surprise me at all they don't do well in the corners.

Jazzer
Old 09-21-2012, 03:44 AM
barqsdrinker

So, has it rained more where you are at?? I'm in need of tires and was looking at these. Or the 555's....
Old 09-21-2012, 06:34 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barqsdrinker
So, has it rained more where you are at?? I'm in need of tires and was looking at these. Or the 555's....
This whole week its been pouring up here actually haha. Theyve handled great in the rain and have exceptional wet traction. Ive really enjoyed the tire thus far for daily driving. The more I use em the more i like em!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Since 8" is closer to the minimum rim width for 245/45-17's, I'd expect slightly "soft" response.

What inflation pressures were you running them at? Are you required to run them at some particular inflation pressure?

Norm
Old 10-02-2012, 01:41 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Since 8" is closer to the minimum rim width for 245/45-17's, I'd expect slightly "soft" response.

What inflation pressures were you running them at? Are you required to run them at some particular inflation pressure?

Norm
they're at 35, wasn't required to run at any particular pressures, was only told to make sure my alignment was good and that I reported on theme very few months.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 PM
JimmySlort
1st Gear Member

Ok, so my Pirelli P Zero Nero's have 81,000 kms (50,000 miles) on them with about 4/32" tread... time for new rubber. My stock size is 235/55/ZR17 (8" rims) and I've been looking at going with the Pirelli's again or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Either way both are expensive options and that's why I'm interested in these Nitto Motivo's, I like the price and the reviews are quite positive.
We get a lot of rain out here and there are not many straight flat roads so good firm cornering control is an important requirement for me.
Your comment on the soft cornering is a concern and is the first I've seen in any on-line review.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 07:24 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimmySlort
Ok, so my Pirelli P Zero Nero's have 81,000 kms (50,000 miles) on them with about 4/32" tread... time for new rubber. My stock size is 235/55/ZR17 (8" rims) and I've been looking at going with the Pirelli's again or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Either way both are expensive options and that's why I'm interested in these Nitto Motivo's, I like the price and the reviews are quite positive.
We get a lot of rain out here and there are not many straight flat roads so good firm cornering control is an important requirement for me.
Your comment on the soft cornering is a concern and is the first I've seen in any on-line review.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
The initial thought of the tires being soft in the corners was just me not having a regular all season tire in a long time. I wouldn't put them into a sport category for cornering though.. but I really do enjoy the tires now that i've got some miles on them. Damp road conditions ive noticed they are a little dicey, I think you can expect that out of any tire though, but when the roads are wet, these tires hold the road extremely well. We've gotten a few light snow falls and the tires have done well, but I can't wait to see how they'll do when we get a few inches of snow on the roads!

Quick Reply: Nitto Motivo review