Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

New Tires and Wheels - Terrible Steering

Old 05-31-2016, 02:34 PM
bengydaniels

Default New Tires and Wheels - Terrible Steering

I have a 1995 Mustang GT . It had stock wheels and tires and handled fine. I put some aftermarket Eagle alloy wheels and new tires on , now it is so touchy I hate driving it. I have checked the tire pressure, had the alignment and front end checked . It still drives bad. The new wheels do set out farther than the stock ones. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:41 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Define touchy. What kind of tires? What were you running?
Old 05-31-2016, 03:47 PM
bengydaniels

By touchy I mean it seems to be over sensitive. It reacts very quickly and doesn't return to center by itself.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:52 PM
bengydaniels

I have Nexen Tires on it now. I don't know what was on it before . These are much wider.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:10 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

If you got them from a major tire store, take the car back and let them see it. Some have a satisfaction policy. Check if they are directional and mounted incorrectly. Also if you can jack it up and rotate the tires, look for any wobble or out of round.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:56 AM
Tom Boismier
1st Gear Member

If the only problem is no return to center, your alignment is out of whack. If the tires are much wider and/or have a much different height profile than stock, stock alignment settings may no longer be appropriate. Ask around, find the best alignment shop in your town, take it there and tell them to fix it. You may need to add aftermarket adjustment camber bolts. Has the car been lowered?
Old 06-01-2016, 09:09 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Im know exactly what your talking about. From my experience, it's just the nature of the beast with wide tires on the front. I believe the word is "tacking", where it seems the front tires grab every uneven, rutted road surface and make the car a handful to drive straight on anything but a perfect road surface.

I noticed this on my car when I switched to 245/45R17 tires in the front. My front end is tight and aligned. And it was a good driving car before the swap. Now , on bumpy, uneven road surfaces, you gotta be paying attention. I wouldn't be surprised to be pulled over by the cops for drunk driving.

But on good, curvy roads, the grip is way above my comfort level. I'm just living with it for now.

Ok, ok, my cars not THAT bad, but I know what your talking about lol.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 06-01-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Tom Boismier
1st Gear Member

It's entirely fixable though! that's why they make the aftermarket camber adjustment bolts, because factory alignment specs no longer work when you lower and/or add different wheel and tire dimensions. All you need is a alignment tech who has experience working on modded cars.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:55 AM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

All the previous comments are great info. They all assume you don't have a problem with the tires. I have 295/30/19 tires on the front of my GT350 and it tends to trammel or track with road grooves too. Huge grip when I want it though. I remember going from Michelin TRX tires to Firestone 721 back in the 1980's. I thought I had forgotten how to drive. The Firestones were terrible compared to the TRX tires. Of course, the TRX tires wore out if you looked at them.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:56 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Yes, I agree, it is fixable. I'm just to cheap to go that route when I'll be running skinner tires next time lol.

OP, what tire and rim size did you go up to ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Tires and Wheels - Terrible Steering