Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Deep cut in tire sidewall repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 02:15 PM
CaptainX
1st Gear Member

Default Deep cut in tire sidewall repair

I bought a pre-owned 2015 Mustang GT with the 20 inch wheels and Pirelli P-Zero's from a 3rd party dealer (they won't cover anything, I assure you.) About a week after bringing it home I noticed a cut in the sidewall of my rear drivers side tire, and a bit of curb rash on the edge of the wheel (hardly noticeable, so I don't care about the wheel.) The cut is obviously not all the way through, and the tire holds pressure just fine. The cut is at about a 30 degree angle, dimensionally it's about 2 inches wide, and maybe 3/16's to 1/4 inch deep, if memory serves. The length of the "flap" is probably 3/4" down. I'll include a crudely drawn example of what I mean. Anyway, I know sidewall repairs are a no-no, but this seems to be more aesthetic than safety related at this point, and was wondering if there was a good rubber cement out there (barge, or something) that would be able to repair this, and if people have had any experience with said product.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Deep cut in tire sidewall repair-tire.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

If you cut the tire by curbing it, there may be damage you don't see. It sucks but do you want to risk damaging your car if it fails.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:46 AM
CaptainX
1st Gear Member

It was done by the previous owner, and I haven't noticed any additional damage while I've owned it. Like I said, it seems cosmetic. I can pull back the rubber and see where the cut stops. Worst case scenario, the tire blows out, but I drive in the city about 90% of the time, so it wouldn't be at high speed, or during hard cornering or anything, so I reckon I could manage. I just hate to replace the tire(s), since there's less than 8K miles on the car. I will be putting winter wheels and tires on it when the time comes, and I can probably get a better diagnoses of it at that point. I think the fact that it holds air just fine (I've put 1,000 miles on it since owning it) that there are no hidden issues. Best I can figure from the phone that was sync'd to the car when I got it, it was a Canadian woman named Lynda who had an IPhone that previously owned it. I assume she had a child as well, since the car seat slots in the back seat show signs of use. Not that any of that has any relevance.

Thanks for the reply. I will do a more thorough look tomorrow. I'm confident I can just load it with contact cement though and call it a day. Does anyone know the sidewall thickness of these tires?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:35 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

That's a pretty deep cut.

If it were me I'd replace the tire.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:54 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

replace replace replace
Old 08-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

I'm just going to throw this out there to add to the discussion, but I don't want you to think that I'm knowledgeable enough to actually recommend it.

One of my Thunderbird's recently-purchased Goodyear Assurance tires had a flap on the sidewall after another car tried to run me off the road and I hit the curb. (see this thread for full story and pic)

It held pressure just fine and I drove it back to Goodyear at my earliest opportunity for inspection. Although it may have been in their best interest to suggest replacing the tire, I was instead told that the sidewall is much thicker than I realized, and that as long as the car was being used for normal daily driving, I had nothing to worry about.

Again, let me be clear: I don't feel qualified to say that you don't have to replace the tire. But if I'm reading your description of the cut correctly, there might be a chance that it'll be okay. Could you post a photo?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

If you pull/spread it open, can you see the cords of the tire? If not, don't worry, if you can, replace. Speaking from nearly 20 years experience or working at Goodyear.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Replace the tire. All it takes is a fast turn or panic stop that puts a lot of pressure on the sidewall of the tire and you end up with a blowout. Not good in either scenario. Sidewalls generally have only two plys of rubber and no steel belting which is why no tire shop will ever repair the sidewall.

Not to mention the unseen damage (as someone else mentioned) or sped up wear that tire will get due to the weakened structural integrity.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:09 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Murphy's Law dictates that it will become an issue at the worst possible time under the worst possible circumstances. The tire might be good enough for you, but if it were your wife's car that she toted your infant child around in you would probably replace it. So for $200 or whatever, just replace it. Tires are the first line of defense in terms of being a safety item on your car.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:42 PM
CaptainX
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies. No cord showing in the cut. I'm apprehensive about replacing, because the tires have enough miles on them to justify replacing both rears, and the P-zeros aren't a cheap replacement. I think if I can survive the summer, and get the winter skins on there, I will probably replace them next summer. Wife has her own car, and no infant to haul around, so I'm the only body at risk. I've mounted tires in the past, and I know the sidewalls are pretty thick, so I don't think it's an immediate issue. I'll definitely consider replacing them after this summer though.

Anyway, I know sidewalls are a touchy subject, so I'm happy to see everyones input. Thanks again.