Notices
2.3L Eco-Boost Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the Eco-Boost variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

2015 Eco boost advice needed

Old 11-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Varun Kumar Somuri

Smile 2015 Eco boost advice needed

I lived in Texas all along and now I am making a move to Denver Colorado for a new better Job. I have always wanted to buy a Mustang and now after the 2015 I really can't control myself.

But now what put me down is the place Colorado, I don't see a lot of rear wheels drive cars (guess because of the snow Ice). Most of the cars are AWD's only. How safe is it to buy a RWD in Colorado? In this time and age with the technology are the RWD's not so efficient in snow? I don't think so. 2015 comes with a snow drive mode, correct?

I wanted to buy an Ecoboost with performance package but performance package comes with summer tires I guess. I am willing to replace those with snow tires.

If RWD is a strict "No" in a state like Colorado please say so because for me safety comes first and I don't want to put my self in danger. I know people put sand bags in the trunk but I am not sure I would be doing that.

Need your experiences and advice's. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Varun Kumar Somuri; 11-19-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:25 PM
JimC

We get a lot of snow here in Michigan and I drove my 2006 with supercharger year round. Put 203,000 miles on it before selling it in June 2012 and ordering the 2013. I drive a 45 mile commute each day (90 mile round trip) and never had a problem. I never put any weight in the trunk either and never got stuck. People advocating putting all that weight often seem to think that if you do have an accident that the weight will just sit there - rather than coming through the fold down seats in the coupe and aiming for the back of your head.

Growing up there were very few FWD and AWD cars - and we didn't sit home all winter because of some snow. I find a RWD easier than FWD in the snow - a little bit easier to control the car and easier to recover if it does slide.

But last year I bought an AWD Mariner for my commuter and it was nice to have the AWD working. I still drove the Mustang several times throughout the winter, in snow storms, with no problems.

A good set of winter tires will help you out. Blizzaks have a good reputation; I drove on the all season Pirelli and Nitto Motivo though with no problem.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:10 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

I see quite a few Mustangs being driven year round in the greater Denver metro area. For most of the front range, snowy/icey conditions rarely last more than day or two at a time. Keep a set of winter tires and a couple of 70lb bags of sand in the trunk and you will get by. It's not the most practical car in winter, but as long as you are aware of the conditions and adjust your driving accordingly, you'll be fine. Kind of takes the fun out of the Mustang if you ask me.

Depending on where in CO you end up, I would be more concerned about clearance than traction in many instances. Personally, I wouldn't choose to make a Mustang my ONLY car year round in CO, but it seems to work for a lot of people. Since I have another vehicle for driving in winter conditions, my thoughts tend to dwell less on getting around and more on how bad all the sand/salt/chemicals would be on my nice, clean Mustang. If you want to keep it nice, don't drive it in winter conditions.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:48 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I drove in Utah and colorado with RWD vehicles, mainly trucks that also had 4WD, but I had a mustang there too. As long as you have good tires, winter tires if it's all you drive, all seasons will work if you have another vehicle and only drive the mustang with decent skies.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

I've visited Colorado several times and it seems like so many people have Subarus! If it were me I would have a beater 4wd for the snow and the Mustang for fair weather. The elevation changes on some of those roads are frightening enough in the summer. I don't see how people get up those mountain roads in the winter.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:01 PM
MtnMustang
1st Gear Member

I live in Denver and drive a combination of RWD, FWD, AWD and 4WD cars. Each can drive good in snow with the right tires.

Frankly it does not snow here as much as people think and it generally lasts a day before it melts with over 300 days of sun we get.

I like the AWD for the snow sure, but I wouldn't hesitate getting an RWD car if it something I like, the 2015 Mustang is something I like. Just get good snow tires for the winter and you will be ok. Lots of people either have tires swapped in the spring and fall or they get a second set of rims. Promise you will be ok. There are a lot of Mustangs here year round.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:28 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Get a set of snow tires and you'll be fine!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:14 PM
My10-80

My mustang never sees snow nor will it ever. I use and old beater pickup in the winter and keep my mustang simply for the enjoyment of fair weather driving but that's just me. I live in Northern IL and see a fair share of snow all winter, especially lately. I can't personally speak for the mustang's drivability in the snow but I do see several of them over the winter time and have a friend that drives their 12 all year round and doesn't seem to have any more or less trouble in the snow. My truck, It's RWD and I don't have any real problems with it but I personally feel it is partially due to how you drive it that makes the difference.

Now for the sand bag issue, someone stated above that you assume that the sandbags stay in place in case of an accident. He is very correct on that statement. I work for the Sheriff and there was an accident head once in the fog and ice a few years back. The sand bags, three, went through the rear seat and one of them hit the driver in the back of the head and killed her. An air bag saved her only to lose her due to a loose sandbag. I personally have never allowed any sandbags in my car since that time. I even have my kids following that practice now. I am sure there are other examples like this elsewhere. No matter your decision, think about it before you put a 50 or 75 pound missile in your trunk.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:27 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by My10-80
My mustang never sees snow nor will it ever. I use and old beater pickup in the winter and keep my mustang simply for the enjoyment of fair weather driving but that's just me. I live in Northern IL and see a fair share of snow all winter, especially lately. I can't personally speak for the mustang's drivability in the snow but I do see several of them over the winter time and have a friend that drives their 12 all year round and doesn't seem to have any more or less trouble in the snow. My truck, It's RWD and I don't have any real problems with it but I personally feel it is partially due to how you drive it that makes the difference.

Now for the sand bag issue, someone stated above that you assume that the sandbags stay in place in case of an accident. He is very correct on that statement. I work for the Sheriff and there was an accident head once in the fog and ice a few years back. The sand bags, three, went through the rear seat and one of them hit the driver in the back of the head and killed her. An air bag saved her only to lose her due to a loose sandbag. I personally have never allowed any sandbags in my car since that time. I even have my kids following that practice now. I am sure there are other examples like this elsewhere. No matter your decision, think about it before you put a 50 or 75 pound missile in your trunk.
Something like that is an EXTREMELY rare occurrence - just like something falling off a truck and impaling someone in the chest is EXTREMELY rare.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:26 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Just fill up the gas tank...we used studded snow tires on the rear of a full size car when we lived in Denver.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Eco boost advice needed