Notices
2.3L Eco-Boost Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the Eco-Boost variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Looking for CARB certified mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 08:21 PM
Derek Jenkins

Default Looking for CARB certified mods

I'm having trouble finding CARB certified mods, and I'm not sure exactly what mods need to be CARB certified.

Mods I'm looking for:
Intake
Exhaust
Blow off valve
Intercooler
Tune

The only one I'm positive needs a certification is the intake. I'm a newbie when it comes to mods so please forgive my ignorance haha. Any insight or information is helpful. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:22 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

If it's California you can pretty much throw the tune idea out. I have yet to come across an aftermarket canned time that will pass carb. I've heard of a few dyno places that can tune it and pass carb. Also anything that is obvious such as headers intake maybe blowoff valve not sure on that one will need a carb exemption sticker. It's almost impossible to do anything in Cali and pass smog and if it does be prepared to pay almost double for it those carb exemptions are super expensive to get. New York is not far behind either. My BBK headers have an exemption and that was the only part I found that was exempt and had a decent price tag. We are a lot more lax here in GA though. Check places like American Muscle or Brenspeed they have very knowledgable people that can get you started in the right direction. But my SCT tuner has a warning that straight up tells you not carb legal.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Check with Injen on the exhaust and Breenspeed or AM for everything else. I've never heard of a tune needing CARB certification as when they put the car on the dyno they are looking at how emissions are compared to preset limits. If you are within the acceptable range you should be fine as they have no way of knowing if the tune is factory or not unless you have one that shuts off certain sensors (like rear O2).
Old 04-01-2016, 12:30 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

You have to be careful with California when I tested in GA the PCM communicates some info to the testing machine. Including vin and some other parameters. Some aftermarket tunes can be detected. I would call around and verify before plopping down the cash I've seen more than one owner get flagged for it. Would hate to see the OP get fined over a tune. In GA most tunes are legal and have never had one cause an issue but CARB is so **** about everything else I'm sure they have ways to detect something as simple as a tune.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:18 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

For exhaust, anything after the cats will pass smog, but some may be too loud for the local LEO.
For the tune, if you ask for an "emissions tune", they will leave all the sensors turned on, which is why some people are having trouble passing with a tune... Many tuners turn off the rear O2 sensors and this causes them to show as "not ready" which results in an automatic fail in CA. As far as teh rest, it's going to take time for them to get things certified with the CARB.
The official database for every part of every car that is certified is here: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

It's a pain to go look through, but if you know what you want and what you want it for, you can find out if there is anything there.

I know Airaid is doing certifications for their cold air intakes, I'm not sure how good they are, but... http://www.airaid.com/search/appsear...ng&engine=2.3L

As far as the intercooler, good luck finding one that is listed, best bet is to keep the stock one and just swap it out when smog comes around.