Notices
2.3L Eco-Boost Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the Eco-Boost variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Steering wheel heavy when turned right: Any insight?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 05:19 PM
Ryan Riccordella

Default Steering wheel heavy when turned right: Any insight?

Hi Gang,

Hoping you can help shed so light on an issue I've encountered with my new car.

Last week, I traded in my 2010 V6 for a 2017 Ecoboost (loving the upgrade but definitely hard to let the other one go).

I've noticed that the steering is a little more snug when turning to the right. Also, when I turn right, the steering wheel goes back to the center much more quickly than it does when I turn left. It's almost like it doesn't want to be turned to the right. When I go straight and let go of the wheel the car slowly veers to the left (although I'm sure some of that has to do with how the road is pitched).

It's brand new so I can't imagine it's a mechanical issue. I've also checked that the air pressure is the same on both sides (front and rear).

It's not super drastic and I've always be sensitive to steering so maybe I'm making it a bigger deal than it is...

Has anyone else experienced something similar or have insight into what might be causing it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-2017, 11:00 AM
culverduck

Sorry for the problem but glade to see I,m not alone. Bought a used 2015 EcoBoost 2 weeks ago, noticed the same thing, thought it might just be me. I have noticed that the trim on the steering wheel is off ( doesn't align with ) the trim on the column just in front of it; very slight dip to the right. Wonder if it's an alignment problem. A comple realignment is on the list for next week.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:42 AM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Do you both have stock wheels? Did you hit a wall at any time?

Definitely not normal.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

2011 and up use EPAS or Electric power assist steering. This can be an issue in that if the calibration somehow gets 'off' for where center is or the Torque Steering sensor is not working correctly.

An incorrect calibration or zero point can cause the steering to pull even though the alignment is dead on as the system tries to compensate itself thinking it's off center. Same goes with a faulty torque steering sensor signal. Ford Escapes had a somewhat big issue with this in the beginning when they first Introduced EPAS to the line up. VW/Audi also can have issues when people replace tie-rods on newer cars or bump a curb hard enough and don't have the system re calibrated.

Take it to the dealer and have them verify the alignment and run a steering calibration procedure. It may be that or a bad sensor.