Notices
2.3L Eco-Boost Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the Eco-Boost variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Former V8 guys w/ Eco Dailys...step in please

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Fezzik

Default Former V8 guys w/ Eco Dailys...step in please

Looking for insight from folks (like me) that are new to these turbo 4cyls. What do you think of the performance & day-to-day commute of them?

Middle-aged spirited driver here, with a barn full of V8's & V10's. My search for a new commuter daily has me thinking..for the 1st time ever...should I consider a turbo 4cyl?

I haven't driven one yet, I'll work on that. While the dealership test-ride will give me some idea, I'm looking for real-world every day use impressions from folks that are used to more cubes.
Tell me how you like (or dislike) them and if you regret not going V8.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:31 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The Ecoboost motor is fine, you can always tune it, get more boost into it. If you have fuel
cost concerns, then it is the right choice. 310+ HP from the 2.3 I4 is not all that bad,
considering the 3.7 V6 is 300 HP. So as a daily driver, for work, and so forth, if you
can't afford the fuel, and have concerns you can't afford the fuel, then the 5.0 is not for
you. I was ALWAYS told, if you look at a car, pause, then ask the salesman what kind of fuel
mileage does it get, then 10:1 you can't afford it. So, if you have to ask, then no... My uncle
told me that all the time... He was a Mustang man, had dozens of them from the Mach 1s
to the S97s, where he got too old for the new stuff. Lots of Mopar too, but his thing was
Mustang.

The V8 is power, plain and simple. The only reason I regret not getting a V8, is because
I have a primary vehicle, and this is a recreational vehicle. Even being a V6 (2008) it
doesn't get good fuel mileage. I have managed 28 tops, but not in the 30s like the I4 in
the Ecoboost. Mine is tuned, intake, and all, so it runs... I do get the occasional drag
from the green, and I do not fair too bad, unless it's another Mustang with a V8, or a
V8 car. The little punk kids with their rice burners that sound like lawn mowers are always
in the rear-view mirror.

I really don't need the 5.0, and is fair to say would get me into trouble anyway. If you want that
power, then the 5.0 liter V8 cranks out 435 horsepower and 400 foot pounds of torque when running on
93 octane premium fuel. Well, it's summer, fuel is up. You can use a lower octane fuel, and loose
some of that horsepower. It can get 25 MPG highway, and you can always tune that up, so even
that is not bad considering the 4.6s have about the same MPGs, less power. City driving, forget
it, 16 MPG... Ecoboost; 21 city, 32 highway. 310 HP, 320 torque, it's not a slouch.

However, the 5.0 with a Manual trans, you can milk 30 MPG at a steady 68 miles per hour. As with any
new powerful car, when you first get it, you're gonna race it around, drag a few here and there, so you're
gonna eat some fuel. Once the novelty wears off, then you can ease up on the pedal and save some
fuel..... Eh, who am I kidding, the novelty never wears off. It's a stylish car, they retain value, and and
chicks Dig'em. SO, if you can afford it, get the 5.0, you will be happier, and won't have to later look
back and be disappointed you did not get the 5.0 in the first place, as you spend and spend to get more
power from what you bought. You can always supercharge the 5.0 later, and put out some serious numbers...