Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Aggravated with STRIPES!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 04:07 PM
MaddieMustang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Aggravated with STRIPES!!

Thanks everyone for your replies and your condolences about my kitty. He was my baby boy There's a pic of him on my myspace link if you click it, it's on the front page. I had him for so long since I was little so it really tore me up.

On a lighter (though not much) note, here are some pics I took. You can see the crappy spacing and the way the pinstripes aren't straight, etc.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32112/08D2F865F57D4F3DBA4E72DADA4F343B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32112/2DA0A3C2A104437EA4EE5EC26C7F7EFE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32112/89B65E51D4CA473B80BE621B1C32AB12.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32112/4048DE3621AE4407B8CFD7DA0F857D1E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32112/9960BBBAADB04AA2B49727FB4DB04F38.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-21-2006, 04:09 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

oh wow! Maddie... the shoddy work they did is simply a crime!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:13 PM
MaddieMustang
1st Gear Member

hey Maddie, sorry to hear about all of the trouble you're going through with this. Just curious, but do they have your car, or are you bringing it back and forth? If they don't have it, I just would go somewhere else. If they have it, are they going to hold it hostage until you give them some sort of payment? I know they said that they won't charge you, but they'll probably still try to pull some sort of guilt trip on you...
They don't have my car today - I was supposed to bring it in but I called to bitch them out instead about how it's so screwed up and they didn't answer so I left a message. I've already had it there 4 other days when it was being worked on (I KNOW it doesn't take 4 days to get this done though... not by "professionals" at least). I just want to get this crap OFF.

That is truly a shame. based on what you've described, don't even bother taking it back except to have the stripes removed. They will never get it right. One of the other guys on here had a similar experience, unfortunately in his case the striper actually trimmed the vinyl ON HIS CAR. As a result, when the stripes were removed he had cuts/ scratches in his paint! He had to have it all sanded out and have stripes painted on then clearcoated to cover up the damage. Hopefully they didn't do that on your car, but you might want to check.
It is VERY difficult to get the stripes straight if stock rolls of vinyl are being used. It's a lot better to get a stripe kit as the vinyl has already been cut to the proper angles to compensate for the shape of the bumpers.
If I were to do it myself, I would buy a kit from Baltimore Street Mods or something and just pray it would turn out ok - unfortunately I feel that I (being a small girl with absolutely NO patience) would do a hell of a better job then the guy that tried to do my car. I mean it's just so terrible... the pictures in my last post speak for themselves. The problem is, they have a vinyl cutter - I WATCHED the machine cut the vinyl, the spacing was done correctly on it and everything. I mean did he just not like it and decide to trim it to get it to go the way he wanted with the curves of the car? Thank you for Tres for bringing this to my attention cuz when I peel this gunk off I am definitely going to check, otherwise I will light his a s s up and make him pay to get my car repainted. (hot pink is lookin good hahahaha j/k... i think).

Hamid - isn't that awful? I'm so sad now because it's so terrible Ugh, I mean I LOVE the way the stripes look in general on the car but the way THEY did it is just humiliating.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:34 PM
gabeh1018
2nd Gear Member

wait im confused.. the stripes are blue?? i thought your car is blue.. it looks to me that there are blue stripes on a black mustang?!?
Old 04-21-2006, 04:38 PM
MaddieMustang
1st Gear Member

no, black stripes on a blue mustang
Old 04-21-2006, 04:39 PM
gabeh1018
2nd Gear Member

o wow.. what a horrible crack a.s.s job.. man they fu cked BIG Time
Old 04-21-2006, 04:43 PM
MaddieMustang
1st Gear Member

I mean it's not so bad just glancing but ****, even when my dad glanced at my hood he was like "how come these aren't all spaced the same?" I was just like hell if i know...

The roof is probaby the best (then again I'm sure if I could see directly on top of it I would think otherwise...

Here's a full view of the hood but you can see the spacing is screwy and the pin stripes are thicker in some areas

[IMG]local://upfiles/32112/4767E32D6C32442A98D327B8EE728567.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32112/F07A46BDE60543C1A18DA73E6175EC0E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-21-2006, 04:56 PM
skm52670
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: afixer

sorry to here your probs. but remember the first three letters of you name are mad after all! so here is what i did just to let you know just whats invlolved.
1. ordered stripes from grafics express in florida 200 bucks
2. per there instructions i got some naphta frome the local home depot and washed the area where the stripe were going to go. eight (8) times yes eight using a new wrag each time. this in it self took forever. ( you want to remove all the wax. )
3. got 2 rolls of 3/4" blue masking tape. also from HD
4. now i actually have cool tolls so i used my lazer and shot down the center of the car. and put the tape on either side of the beam. this gave me my 2" gap. Just measure a center mark and use a grease pencil to mark everywhere and put the tape along the car now you have your spacing this took about an hour or so.
5 lay out the stripes and get ready. i did this in the garage.
6. i ordered some solution from them but soap water mix works ok too. wet everything then remove backing as your wetting it and place it on the car up to the tape then start to squeegy and peal off cover use a heat jun or dryer to wrap edges under hood ant trunk. the whole install took my son and i about 8 hours not a real easy car to do.
The laser level works great don't it? I did the same with mine. I used masking tape for the spacing and the laser to get the lines straight going on the bumper and over the car. It took me and some friends about 6 hrs total. We messed up a few times while learning but I saved $300 by doing it myself.

Here's a tip---the washer nozzles pop out from under the hood. I just removed them then layed the vinyl over the hole, made an "x" and folded under, then snapped the nozzles back in. No worries about cutting around them!

Steve

Old 04-21-2006, 04:59 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Traken

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

Well for that price, I could see how they Fd it up, remember, you get what you pay for, the $300-500 price range sounds a little more accurate, bucause installing stripes like that isn't an easy job. Personally, if I were spending that much money, I'd get them painted on, that way you don't have to worry about them chipping, pealing, or fading in the future.
Except if you're getting them painted, you'll be looking at more than double that price. Again, you get what you pay for in that department as well.
Just yesterday, I called the Ford dealer to inquire about the stripes in the Ford Racing catalog. Apparently, the dealer I go to has actually hired some competent parts people in the last couple of years. I ask the guy about ordering and installation. This is exactly what he told me: "I wouldn't go with aftermarket vinyl, and anyways, there are only one or two body shops that I would even suggest for that kind of work if you want it done right. Your best bet is to call around and see what it costs to have them painted on." He also said that between the $300 for the stripes out of the catalog and what labor would cost to have it done right, it probably wouldn't be much more expensive to get the paint job.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:02 PM
skm52670
1st Gear Member

Maddie,

[sm=wtf.gif] Were they drunk when they did it? A first grader could tell they're crooked as a poliltician...I'd try them myself before I let them touch my car again! They are easy to take off when first applied. Just work slow and pull back not up.

Steve

Quick Reply: Aggravated with STRIPES!!