Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Paint Sealer??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

Default Paint Sealer??

I just drove home a new '06 GT 5 speed and I want to keep it in the best condition I can. When I was at the dealership, I was told about their "paint sealer" option, which is a waxed on product that permanently seals a clear coat of teflon (or something similar) on the car. They say you never have to wax your car again, and it's backed with a lifetime warranty. It's a little pricey (about $350) so I wanted to ask here first and see if you all have heard of this stuff or not. Should I even bother?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 04:21 PM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Paint Sealer??

IMO, if it's offered by a dealer forget it.

Isn't clearcoating supposed to seal the paint?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:51 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Here's a little story.
I purchased a simliar thing when I got mine a couple months ago (and a fair bit more than $350).
I was ambivalent about it, but my wife pointed out that I work alot and varying schedules, and our temporary living arrangments (in a townhouse development with a parking lot) are not very conducive to keeping up a new, shiny black car.
And I had been cursing it as money wasted every weekend while I'm out there hand polishing the bloody waterspots out.
Late last Thursday night on my way home from work, I ran over a large patch of white paint.
Got home and pulled out the flash light - sure enough, little white specks in the wheel wells and up the fenders and quarters.
Couldn't very well pull out the hose at 2am so I woke up early the next morning to give it a good scrub.
Unfortunately, I had something come up at work and had to go in early, but I was encouraged in that I was able to wipe the specks off with a towel and detailer.
Saturday morning comes along and yep, another crisis.
So it waited until Sunday. And the specks came right off, easier than bug guts and road tar.
There are still small specks in the wheel wells, but I'm not too worried about them.
I'm still a bit ambivalent about the sealant thing as a regular waxing with quality stuff basically accomplishes the same thing.
But with time being a fairly rare commodity for me these days, I ain't thinking it was a waste of money anymore, either.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:18 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Recommend you search this forum for additional comments on the paint sealant. Then, go online and do some research. Like everything else, you will find different opinions about paint sealants. It is all a matter of preference...your preference. I bought a black Stang and you can see below and I opted to have the dealer apply the total protection package for about $550.00. It included the following: vinyl/leather protection,. acid rain protection (paint sealant), fabric protection, and rust protection. I decided to buy all this because, afterall, I plan on keeping this Pony for a long time. Bottomline is, I do not regret spending this money on all this protection. Afterall, as you know, black is a heck of a color to keep up, but what the heck!