Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Blackout panels.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 05:26 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Blackout panels.

Hey mike, how did you do it magnetic? just 3m tape and strips of magnet? Let me know, I'm putting one on this week
When I get home from work, I will post a couple of pics for you. Basically, the panel comes with 3M tape top and bottom. I bought magnetic tape at Lowes, same thickness as the 3M tape. I applied the magnetic tape on top of the 3M tape top and bottom, and put 2 layers of magnetic tape on the two sides, so the thickness is the same around.....Instant magnetic panel, although I also added some velcro strips as well. I'll get the photos posted for you this evening.....

Mike

Old 09-12-2006, 05:32 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Thanks man sounds awesome and by the way great looking ride. I like the black scoop.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:38 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the compliments. I just did the hood scoop last weekend...

OK, here is a pic of the back of my blackout panel. You can see the magnetic tape all the way around..

Here is a close up of one of the velcro straps I added, since I did not feel the magnetic strip was secure enough....you can see how I notched the magnetic strip to accept the velcro strips..

And here is a pic of the underside of my trunk, which shows where the velcro straps attach....this is with the blackout panel installed...

I take the blackout panel off whenever I wash the Pony, and it really is easy to deal with this way. It's not near as complex as it may seem. Sometimes it's also nice for a change of look, running just the bezels without the blackout....

If I have confused you with this, or you want further info, let me know. Send me your E Mail address, and I can forward an E Mail that I have sent to several other members, with photos and a more detailed instruction. Best of luck with it, and let us know how it turns out...

Mike

Old 09-13-2006, 12:53 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

How do you tuck the one that run from side to side away. I got it pretty good execpt for that.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:26 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Here is another photo that shows more of the side angle. The side straps work just the same as the bottom. They are not visible when the panel is installed.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:26 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Cool man I totally understang and dig. Very good info and easy to do.
ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

Here is another photo that shows more of the side angle. The side straps work just the same as the bottom. They are not visible when the panel is installed.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:20 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Let us know how it turns out, and get some pics posted.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:46 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

mlcrycc,

Great info and pics on this thread. Just wondering - what does the panel look light on it's own, without the taillight bezels? I've read some things about unfinished edges not looking too good or something to that effect. Got any pics of it before you installed the tailight bezels?

TIA
Old 09-14-2006, 01:24 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Old 09-14-2006, 03:28 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

thanks - looks great. What a great mod for the price!

Quick Reply: Blackout panels.