Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

GT Upgrade - I'm New

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:02 PM
king4444

Default GT Upgrade - I'm New

My 06 Mustang is coming in 2 weeks, so I want to get everything I need for the gt upgrade now.
I have read all of your post regarding the upgrades and I have a few questions.

1. What parts do I need apart from the takeoffs sold on eBay?
I plan on getting the GT Front and Rear Bumper with the Fogs.
Also, the GT Mufflers.
What extra parts will I need for installation and how much will they cost?

2. I've heard so many things about the wiring harness for the fog lights. I don't want to get the custom street scene set. How much does the OEM harness and switch cost? Also, I heard something about the '06 and '07 models being different in terms of wiring because they are made with the potential to uprgade to the pony package.

I'll appreciate any info you guys can provide. I have read the installation guides and such. I just think it would be useful to me and other future upgraders if we had a list of necessary parts. That way, I can spend more time buying gifts for others than looking for parts this Christmas.

Once again ... what extra parts are needed for installing
It would be great if you listed the part number and price
1. The GT Front Bumper
2. The GT Rear Bumper
3. The GT Dual Exhaust
4. Wiring the Fog Lights (It would be useful if an '05 and an '06/'07 owner provide input since they have different setups)
Old 12-23-2006, 12:11 AM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT Upgrade - I'm New

You can find the stock wiring harness and switch from Late Model Restoration. You have to call and ask them for the switch. They also sell a complete kit for the V6 (grill, fog lights, wiring harness, and switch). The grill they sell is a genuine Ford Grille that is desinged as a direct replacement for the V6 grille. So no modification of front bumper cover or replacement nescissary the item number for that is: LRS-8200V-K. Thay can be found at the following site: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...egory=MGRILLE7

You can get the switch seperately from from Blue Oval Industries located here: http://blueovalindustries.bluekeyinc...p?pid=99011762

Good Luck and have fun modifying your Mustang.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:30 PM
06 Saleen wana be

if your in FL, or dont mind driving, i have the stock GT front and rear bumpers, fog lights and grill, emblems and mufflers. Email me at justin.kovach@gmail.com if your interested.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:11 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

don't waste the time or money. buy a real GT.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46387/7DBD08CA2FA84AC38AD6146AF3290657.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-29-2006, 10:32 PM
666mustang

ORIGINAL: mdg

don't waste the time or money. buy a real GT.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46387/7DBD08CA2FA84AC38AD6146AF3290657.jpg[/IMG]
Well yes, but it can be a lot of fun modding a nice car especially if you have friends who are into it also
Old 12-30-2006, 01:30 AM
ullmustang

I am sure every V6 owner who does the GT upgrade would prefer the V8, but money isn't unlimited for everyone. I am very happy with my 2006 Mustang Convertible with GT front end. I bought the car used and couldn't find any other car that looks and drives as nice for $18,000 and still has 2 1/2 years factory warranty remaining.

As far as the GT upgrade I decided to save some money and only do the front end. In my opinion it actually looks better than the stock GT because the black rocker panels give the car a leaner and longer look, plus I like the V6 MUSTANG tape stripeon the doors. I just finished the upgrade so I don't have any pics yet.

You can save a ton of money buying just the front end and for some reason it was cheaper for me to purchase the grill and bumper seperately on e-bay. The e-bay retailer sent the wrong color the first time, but then resent the correct color with the GT grille. Anyway I have an extra GT grille with fog lights if you are interested. The ebay retailer claims perfect condition, but the grill is a take off and has a minor blemish (only noticeable if your get closer than 12 inches away). I will sell the GT Grille with fog lights for $40 plus $25 shipping if you are interested you can e-mail me.

If you only do the front end, here is what you need:
$105 GT grille and fog lights (I paid $90 + $15 shipping from one state away)
$189 GT front bumper (I bought my take off bumper for $100 + $89 shipping)
$85 Street Scene Wiring Harness#SS73591($75 + $10 shipping)
$9 GT Foam Isolator 5R3Z-17C947-BA order from Ford Dealer
$15 GT Right wheel house liner #5R3Z16102BA
$15 GT Left wheel house liner #5R3Z16103BA
$2Four small screws and nylon lock nuts (or 4 rivets) to remound turn signals that were originally riveted on. I can get the exact sizes if you want, but don't have them handy at my PC right now. Other than these four small screws, you don't need any hardware because you can reuse everything from the stock V6 mounting hardware.

For $420 this is a great mod. Some people say you can cut down the stock V6 foam isolator, but for $9 I don't think it is worth it. Some people will also say you need the GT deflector # 5R3Z17626BA that attaches to the bottom of the bumper, but not needed and can save you $37. I bought it originally and took it back because the GT bumper without the deflector was very solid already (more solid than the stock V6 bumper which doesn't have any mount on the bottom either).

There are several options on the wiring harness depending on how much you want to spend. Street scenes ischeaper than anyone else, but the toggle does require drilling into the stock light panel. I did it to mine and it looks great and I am really happy with it. The fog lights turn off with the ignition, but will illuminate with the high beams on. Some people like this and some don't and it may technically not be DOT approved in some states. I can tell you it really lights up the road with the high beams and fog lights on at the same time. Unless someone owns a GT, they will think all the wiring under the hood and the switch in the dash are stock. Everything looks and works great and I highly recommend the street scenes harness.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Dont forget to get gt sideskirts