Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

HOW TO: 07+ Rear Speaker Replacement (and mod)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:57 PM
jcoggin

Default RE: HOW TO: 07+ Rear Speaker Replacement (and mod)

just a thought is there any way to remove the speakers thru the trunk either by turning the red retainers or makeing a hole a small hole and unscrewing the torex screws and can the speakers come out the bottom thru the trunk just looking for an easy wat out?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:44 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

No, there really isn't an easy way out. You have to take the parcel shelf out to access the speakers from the factory unless you have the Shaker system. If you don't see any grills back there, this is what you have to go through on the 07's. That is why I suggested moving the red fasteners once you get to them and mounting the new speakers from the bottom. If you blow a speaker after doing that, it's only a 5 minute swap, rather than the hour or so to do all this crap.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

The mounting lip on the speaker prevents you from pulling them down. Gotta remove the stuff if you dont' see speaker grills.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:23 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

I just replaced my rear speakers. Didn't have to remove as much stuff as he did. I just took both of the plastic rear arm rest pieces out, by lifting the door sill piece to get like 1 clip loose. Took the one push pin out by the bottom of the seat and the two push pins out of the top by the seat belt top to remove it. Then the shelf has 4 push pins remove them and it slides right out. I had to use a SKU to drill out the speakers because it is impossible without that tool, you can't angle a drill in their and you cant get the back 2 our with a ratchet. They are the annoying star screws too. Then of course I bottom mounted the speakers for easy replacement later. I was worried that the 4 red clips facing into the car would scratch the back shelf, but it seemed to clear it ok. I'll post pics later.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I Just paid a local music shop to install my MTX rears. Only cost $100 saved me the trouble and hassel. lol
Old 08-26-2007, 09:11 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

as far as the red plastic anchors go, they shouldn't hurt anything sticking up like that, they don't stick up any further than the original speaker did, sitting on the sheet metal. I think there is a bulge in the bottom of the shelf to accomodate that speaker, so the red anchors should stick into that bulge and be cool.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:52 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Honestly I have about $3000 worth of equipment in my car. And I wish I would of spent the money else where. Stupid me... regrets but oh well, too late to go back.

Take your stereo money and buy something else for the car. You will be better off IMO.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I have an 06 GT. I'm not trying to replace the rear speakers. Just trying to get at a noise that seems to be coming from the rear deck area on the passenger side.

Will all of this really be necessary to access that area? Do I have to practically gut the rear interior of the car like this?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

great addition man, i'm sure everyone will appreciate it... makes me glad i have an '05
Old 03-14-2008, 05:11 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riptide

I have an 06 GT. I'm not trying to replace the rear speakers. Just trying to get at a noise that seems to be coming from the rear deck area on the passenger side.

Will all of this really be necessary to access that area? Do I have to practically gut the rear interior of the car like this?

Yea, you do have to pretty much gut it if I remember right (it's been over a year since the last time I've been in there) It's the quarter trim that holds the carpet parcel shelf in. The downside is the quarter trim is trapped in by the lower trim, which is trapped in by the seat cusion. Not the smartest design in my opinion, but whatever. You should be able to get away with only taking the quarter trim off of one side, but the rest of the stuff should have to come out for both sides. And be sure to note my later post on the window tint if you have it. I'm glad I waited to tint the windows, since I would have scratched the living daylights out of the back window re-installing the quarter trim.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: 07+ Rear Speaker Replacement (and mod)