Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

I shoulda listened to you guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 10:15 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I shoulda listened to you guys

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

The best bra is a clear bra... any other is worthless.
Those do look good, but they're also very expensive.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:50 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

The best bra is a clear bra... any other is worthless.
Those do look good, but they're also very expensive.
True, they are more expensive initially, but they pay for themselves by saving you countless rock chip repairs in the long run. Especially if you live in a some place like I do... I have probably close to 20 rock chips all over the front of my car, on the lip and bumper, hood etc (all places that would have been covered) and Im going to have to have the front end totally repainted (again). So next time Im investing in a clear bra so that I dont have to repaint it a third time. But good luck fixin her up, yours doesnt sound too bad and it might be small enough for touch up paint.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:43 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Use the bra for long trips and leave it off otherwise....you said you don't know why there is a chip in the paint right after you said there was sand bar under there.. I think that may have done it and the sand can act as sand paper and the movement of the bra with wind can marr the paint. Maybe there was a small stone as well in there just moving around. Sorrry to hear about the chip and leave the bra off!

Today was sunny and mild here, so I detailed my car. I decided that after a month of being on there, I should remove the bra and check it out. I was amazed at how much crap was under it. There was a sand bar under there! Well, no more than I expected from what you guys have said on this forum. But as I was cleaning up the front end, there it was - a chip in the paint in the area the bra had been covering. It was about 1/16" in diameter. One of the reasons I wanted the bra was to try to protect the paint from chips. Obviously, it doesn't do that.

That on top of the fact that it's a little bit of a pain to remove and reinstall the bra, and I'm convinced. I'm leaving it off. I'll save it until my paint is old and damaged, maybe.

Hmmm... If I had listened to you guys, I'd have some money to spend on another mod. Oh, well, live and learn. That's the thing about the school of hard knocks - first you get the test, and then you get the lesson.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Use the bra for long trips and leave it off otherwise....you said you don't know why there is a chip in the paint right after you said there was sand bar under there.. I think that may have done it and the sand can act as sand paper and the movement of the bra with wind can marr the paint. Maybe there was a small stone as well in there just moving around. Sorrry to hear about the chip and leave the bra off!

Today was sunny and mild here, so I detailed my car. I decided that after a month of being on there, I should remove the bra and check it out. I was amazed at how much crap was under it. There was a sand bar under there! Well, no more than I expected from what you guys have said on this forum. But as I was cleaning up the front end, there it was - a chip in the paint in the area the bra had been covering. It was about 1/16" in diameter. One of the reasons I wanted the bra was to try to protect the paint from chips. Obviously, it doesn't do that.

That on top of the fact that it's a little bit of a pain to remove and reinstall the bra, and I'm convinced. I'm leaving it off. I'll save it until my paint is old and damaged, maybe.

Hmmm... If I had listened to you guys, I'd have some money to spend on another mod. Oh, well, live and learn. That's the thing about the school of hard knocks - first you get the test, and then you get the lesson.
Yeah, I'm leaving it off. You're probably right. It probably was holding a small rock underneath it. Fortunately, that small chip was the only damage, and I was able to put the first coat of touch up paint on it this weekend. Then it turned cold again, so I'll have to wait to add more paint, but at least it's protected for now.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:15 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

I have a Clearbra for exactily this reason.

http://www.clearbra.net/

My sig is with the Clearbra installed. you cannot see it installed unless you are within about 10 feet of the car and even then, all you can see are the seams.

It's an investment more than an expense. I payed $775.00 for the install and got it done at the 500 mile mark. I would have done it sooner but I had to save up asI put every cent I had into the down payment.

I'll takesome pics of the front end of my car if anyone wants to see it installed.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:59 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Id like to see it.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:16 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

I'll see if I can get some pics taken.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:47 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

Look at my gallery, youll never really notice it but i have the clear bra on my car and im telling you it was so well worth it! ohh yea i forgot to mention that i have some behind each wheel as well.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:02 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Well, I took some pics but I wont be able to upload until I get home. In the meantime here is a link toa site with alot of details aboutClearbra. At the bottomare some interesting pics showing how well this stuff holds up. At the very bottom are some videos that are worth watching.

http://www.thedentdevils.com/clear%20shield.html
Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

$775 bucks for a bra you can't see???
How much do they charge for the ones you CAN see??? LOL!
I also found the lower part of the factory bra too cumbersome and never use it. If anyone uses one and would like to buy that 1/2 PM me other wise it'll go on eBay soon.
I use the part that covers the hood because it protects the metal hood (isn't most of the front end plastic anyway) and put it on everytime I go on a long drive. It's really easy to install after the first time. It needs to be left in the sun until warm then squeezed on for the first fit. Now I just slip it on, attach the 2 hooks in the middle, pull down the stretchy hook on one side and attach it to the hole on the underside side of the hood and then do the other side.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/1EB31A66F4FC470AA75E042160DFBEF2.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: I shoulda listened to you guys