Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Splash guards

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:02 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default Splash guards

I know some of you guys don't like splash guards, AKA, mud flaps, but do any of you have them on your cars? Could you post pictures and tell me where you got them? It seems that when we get a little rain here, the first thing to get dirty on the car is right behind the wheels. And lots of times, that's the main thing that gets dirty.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:28 PM
matswpa844

Default RE: Splash guards

here is a pic hope it helps u.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:32 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matswpa844

here is a pic hope it helps u.
Thanks. What kind are they and where did you get them?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:32 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I have the same ones on my '06 GT. They are a genuine FORD accessory item and I just went to a dealer for mine. You can go to this link and just look for splash guards. I went with the molded ones for the rear only.
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/accessories/
There are also splash guards made for the GT500 that don't stick out as much if you don't want them to be as noticeable. Here's a link to them. They will fit our cars.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-30-2007, 01:05 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs

I have the same ones on my '06 GT. They are a genuine FORD accessory item and I just went to a dealer for mine. You can go to this link and just look for splash guards. I went with the molded ones for the rear only.
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/accessories/
There are also splash guards made for the GT500 that don't stick out as much if you don't want them to be as noticeable. Here's a link to them. They will fit our cars.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...spagenameZWDVW
Cool. Thanks. Do those mount to the existing screws in the wheel well?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:33 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Bill, Yes, they use the existing screws. There wasn't enoughclearance between the tires and the screws to use a normal screw driver though. I went to my local hardware store and bought an offset one for less than two bucks. It eliminated my having to jack up the car to take the wheels off just to get at the screws so it worked out great.
Some people don't like the look of splash guards but I can assure you they do a great job protecting the area directly behind the wheels. The same people that would put you down for having something functional like this on your car are the samepeople that wouldn't hesitate to put fake plastic vents hanging off the sides of their cars. Yeah, those serve a purpose. Go figure.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:47 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Bill, Yes, they use the existing screws. There wasn't enoughclearance between the tires and the screws to use a normal screw driver though. I went to my local hardware store and bought an offset one for less than two bucks. It eliminated my having to jack up the car to take the wheels off just to get at the screws so it worked out great.
Cool. That should make it a lot easier.

Some people don't like the look of splash guards but I can assure you they do a great job protecting the area directly behind the wheels. The same people that would put you down for having something functional like this on your car are the samepeople that wouldn't hesitate to put fake plastic vents hanging off the sides of their cars. Yeah, those serve a purpose. Go figure.
Well, just a matter of taste, I guess. That's why we have all these options. You choose the ones you like.

Does Ford make them for the front wheels? I wasn't able to find any on that site.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:32 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

They make flat ones for both the front and rear but the molded rears look much better. I just went with the molded rears and left it at that.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:57 PM
MyGrabberOrangeGT
2nd Gear Member

I have a 700' gravel driveway so these were a must have. Got them from Ford.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:34 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

They make flat ones for both the front and rear but the molded rears look much better. I just went with the molded rears and left it at that.
I agree with you - I don't like the flat ones nearly as much. I'll probably do what you did.

I did call the local Ford dealer, BTW, and they quoted me $43 and change for front, $43 and change for the rear, and $39.95 to install both. So, they'd be about $125 plus tax installed. I was confused by what they told me, though. The flat ones should be cheaper than that, so maybe they quoted me the molded ones for both front and rear. From what I can tell, the molded ones only fit on the rear, so maybe it is they who are confused.

Thanks again for the information.

Quick Reply: Splash guards