Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Default Help!

OK so I just got my Ford Racing Headers intstalled o my 06 mustang gt. This guys are the best exhust guys in my state. When I went to pick my car up they told me that whoever put my flowmasters on put the wrong ones on. You have to unserstand that I really knew nothing about anything when the others guys put my flowmasters on. The good guys said that the bad guys put more of a universal flowmaster on, that was better suited a 2002 mustang when they put the mufflers in the middle of the vehicle. They said the problem with the muffler is that it doesn't flow like a flowmaster made for a 2005-2007 mustang would. He said the reason why is because the new mustangs have the mufflers way in back and there is a lot of pressure that builds up between the heads and the mufflers. The ones that I have on are blocking the flow and creating a lot of back pressure, and he told me Im killing my engine and losing about 10- 15 hp. What do you guys think? Is he pulling my leg to try and spend more money, or do I really have a problem on my hands? And if I do need knew mufflers what should I go with, and they dont have to be flowmasters. thanks
Old 05-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help!

OK I couldnt wait for advice on here because it didnt come soon enough. I brought my baby to an exhaust shop today and got super 44s installed. Ya it cost me 350 bucks but i can already feel the difference and hear it too. Im glad I did it, but now I have to find somone with a toyota truck who wants to buy some used flowmasters.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:28 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

They installed mufflers in the center of the vehicle? WTF? That would require cutting and welding in the center to replace the slip fit ones under the back end. The first shop you went to were idiots as they could have ordered Flows that bolted right up which would have been: 1. Easier for them. 2. Correct for the car. 3. helped instead of hurt your HP. Please tell me they at least removed the stock mufflers. This sounds like the guy here I read about that ended up with (2) X pipes under his car.

Flowmaster did redesign the internals for mufflers just for the 05-07 Mustangs.

Do some research here before you get anything major. Most of what you'll get are opinions but you'll also get a lot of very usefull facts.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:35 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like you got taken by an exhaust shop to me.

Changing the mufflers on these cars is something you can do by yourself. Since you took your car to a shop, you opened yourself up to all sorts of graft and cooruption. Congrats, you are now a statistic.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:57 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dirtydeedsinc

Do some research here before you get anything major.
+ 10 billion
Old 05-07-2007, 04:48 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

They didnt install them in the middle. They took off the stock and just put the wrong mufflers on. Ya they had to weld because they were the wrong ones. This was my first new car ive ever bought so I really didnt know much about it. Yes I became a statistic, but i know better now. Everybody gets ripped off some time in there life. I got them changed out and they sound a lot better.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:08 PM
PONYRAGE
1st Gear Member

They make flows specifically for the S197's. Good luck to ya, how does the headers sound by the way? Long tubes?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

There shorties, dont really notice them to tell you the truth. But they look good when your looking at the engine.