Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

20's on the V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:39 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Default 20's on the V6

OK please lets NOT let this get into 20" wheels suck, blah blah blah.......

On our V6 vert theleft front caliper is making noise with the 20" wheelinstalled. There is a very disturbing clunking noise when the brakes are applied. One can hear a slight clunking noise even at walking speeds once each direction when stopping the car after going from drive to reverse and moving just a few feet. At 60 mph (going forward! Haven't tried itgoing60backwards lol) it is down right SCARY!!
Anyway stealership claims put the 17" wheels back on as the car doesn't have the problem with the 17s. I said NO just because we can't hear it with the 17" wheelsdoesn't mean it NOT there! I have the luxury of having another Mustang to put this wheel on and NOPE NO sound! I put a second 20" wheelon this V6 left front and YEP! same noise! So it's NOT the wheel that is making the noise! (yes the wheel exagerates the problem but doesn't cause the problem)
Now to help with troubleshooting:
First off I know the differences between the V6 and V8 front brakes! There are NO marks on either the wheel or the caliper. More then one 20" wheel make this noise on this car. Wheel doesn't make this noise on a different car. The right front caliper makes NO noise with the 20"s! Car going into shop on Monday morning. Per phone call the service manager "V6 cars are not designed to have 20" wheels." Well sorry that's not an option. Last thing over all heigth of the tire mounted on the 20" is 1/4 of an inch shorter the stock 17" tire.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:41 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 20's on the V6

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 05-12-2007, 06:45 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

07 Stang,
So what do you want a pic of a sound file? (in the mean time!)

Old 05-12-2007, 11:17 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Nah, I just want to see the 20" on the V6.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:11 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Well i feel your pain, the dealership always uses the "not intended for the v6" as an excuse. Im having an exhaust problem and i took it into the dealership. All they told me was "dual exhaust isnt made for the v6." I just looked at them funny and was like well thats funny because its a v6 kit. Grrr they make me mad. Only thing good the dealership is for is warranty work.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:28 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

Well i feel your pain, the dealership always uses the "not intended for the v6" as an excuse. Im having an exhaust problem and i took it into the dealership. All they told me was "dual exhaust isnt made for the v6." I just looked at them funny and was like well thats funny because its a v6 kit. Grrr they make me mad. Only thing good the dealership is for is warranty work.
Next time you go to your dealership, ask him," If dual exhaust isn't made for the V6, how come you can purchase a brand new Ford Fusion V6 with dual exhaust?!"

Not only that, but from what I've read on here, some dealers will install duals on a V6.....so your dealer is yanking your chain!
Old 05-13-2007, 02:52 AM
Paleoc
2nd Gear Member

I have 20 inch wheels, my brakes don't clunk, even when it had stock brakes. The only clunk I heard was when one of the sway bar bolts became loose. Since the sway bar transfers weight, a loose bar can cause a noise on the opposite side of the car.
Sinceyour clunkhappens at low speed, have someone else drive the car slowly and crawl alongside it and see if you can hear from what general area the noise is coming from. It might give you an idea where to look.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:53 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

When I take off the rim (either rim) that is on the left frontand grab the rotor I can simulate the same exact noise, banging the 5 holes in the rotor against the 5 studs by rotating the rotor back and forth forwards and backwards! The rotor moves back and forth about 10 degrees or about 1/4 inch and hits the studs. This seems VERY odd! I showed this to the mechanc when it was in the shop for fuel sending unit last week. The stealershipis going to have both our Mustangs at the same timeon Monday to replace both fuel sending units now that the parts are in for both cars.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:02 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Check to make sure your wheel is fitting over the hub... (see pic) many aftermarket wheel makers don't machine the center of the wheel large enough to easily clear the hub. Rust or minor damage to the end of the hub will cause some wheels to not tighten down properly. If your wheel has a centering ring remove it and check to see that it fits over the hub.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:30 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Check the left front wheel, (the offending wheel...) and make sure the retaining clip, or clips, were removed from the studs when the 20's were installed. The stock wheels have enough clearance to tolerate the retaining clip used on the assembly line, but many after market rims do not.....They are just used to keep the rotor on during assembly....

Just a guess, as I have seen this on several posts with GT's...

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/97C29CAE5D654ADDA23431FCEFBEF1CC.jpg[/IMG]